Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net new limited offers 3815 & 3915 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net new limited offers 3815 & 3915

Comments

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited September 2015

3815 in RAID0:

root@sd-58005:/home/me# bash freevps.sh CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz Number of cores : 8 CPU frequency : 1169.437 MHz Total amount of ram : 32077 MB Total amount of swap : 975 MB System uptime : 6:07, Download speed from CacheFly: 76.8MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 20.3MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 13.9MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.25MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 51.8MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 79.5MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 9.28MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.5MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.68MB/s I/O speed : 327 MB/s

root@sd-58005:/home/me# traceroute cachefly.cachefly.net traceroute to cachefly.cachefly.net (62.210.187.96), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets 1 62-210-148-1.rev.poneytelecom.eu (62.210.148.1) 2.240 ms * * 2 a9k1-45x-s31-2.dc3.poneytelecom.eu (195.154.1.42) 1.954 ms 2.220 ms 2.255 ms 3 195.154.1.253 (195.154.1.253) 0.987 ms 0.796 ms 1.177 ms 4 * 45x-s43-1-a9k1.dc3.poneytelecom.eu (195.154.1.93) 0.971 ms * 5 vip2.cdg1.cachefly.net (62.210.187.96) 0.224 ms 0.223 ms 0.578 ms

• No it just means should there be any congestion/loading up on routes your traffic will be the lowest priority and thus may see loss first.

Some buy for the disks, some the CPU, some the network connectivity, just different needs/requirements.

• @Yoda said:
    If it matters, I'm trying to install exsi and it's not moving on 'System Configuration'

I always solved it by opening a ticket. After that it starts going on.

@SpeedBus said:
    Anyone using Proxmox on this machine or any machine at online.net? Did the install via their panel work?

It does work.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • @wych said:
    Some buy for the disks, some the CPU, some the network connectivity, just different needs/requirements.
    @wych said:

This is something I am very afraid off. being on the west coast of the US. Backups and downloading symetrical fiber would flucuate very much. So i may hold off on it for now.

• To those with the earlier benchmark tests... seems like you have CPU frequency scaling activated. Check with: cpufreq-info

Perhaps benchmarks would be more useful when frequency scaling was disabled.

• zeitgeist said: Perhaps benchmarks would be more useful when frequency scaling was disabled.

Why? It would clock up anyway once it was under load...

• @wych said:
    Why? It would clock up anyway once it was under load...

If latency is not an issue, yes I agree. But for performing benchmark tests or other time-critical tasks, I would only choose the performance governor, which not only gives the highest performance but also lowest latency.

Btw the ondemand governor, which is often the default, is also configurable. You can define thresholds before the CPU would switch frequencies. This would make benchmark tests even less "objective", not knowing how the CPUfreq subsystem is configured for a particular system. Hence my suggestion to disable scaling for this purpose.

• Those online.net limied offers don't last for too long so anyone who is interested should grab one quickly in order to avoid seeing "Victim of its success" message :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • JRTechJRTech Member
    edited September 2015

I've just ordered Dedibox Limited 3915 (120x2 SSD)

I am doing rsync into this new server. I then notice I only have 109 GB SSD.

rsync process is now canceled. I want when I run df -h it shows 240 GB disk size (I know it will be less). What am I supposed to do in this step?

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

JRTech said: I want when I run df -h it shows 240 GB disk size (I know it will be less), what am I supposed to do in this step?

Configure RAID? You need RAID-0 rather than RAID-1 to get the full capacity. If they don't have an interface for it, you should reinstall (non-RAID) with as small a root partition as possible and use software raid in Linux (mdadm).

Alternatively, you can create a massive file on / called "part1", losetup it to a free loop device, and table it together with the other disk using dmsetup linear. This is just for a quick fix, and should not be used long-term as it probably doesn't give proper barriers, etc, which are needed for filesystems to resist crashes. Update: This won't work in your config, as you are actually using the second disk already for RAID-1 (just noticed).

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • @JRTech said:
    I've just ordered Dedibox Limited 3915 (120x2 SSD)

I am doing rsync into this new server. I then notice I only have 109 GB SSD.

rsync process is now canceled. I want when I run df -h it shows 240 GB disk size (I know it will be less). What am I supposed to do in this step?

That's normal for RAID1. You need RAID0 to get the disk capacity combined.

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • @singsing said:

I am not native English, your suggestion is too complex for me :) By the wy, I have this:

Can I directly mount the device or should I follow your suggestion?

• HaxHax Member
    edited September 2015

JRTech said: I am not native English, your suggestion is too complex for me :) By the wy, I have this:

Can I directly mount the device or should I follow your suggestion?

Go to RAID configuration on left navigation, change from RAID 1 to RAID 0.

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • JRTech said: Can I directly mount the device or should I follow your suggestion?

No, you RAID-1 wastes half the capacity by storing a duplicate of all data. So you need to deconfigure RAID-1 try to see if there are settings for RAID-0 (preferable), or not using RAID at all (in which case you will have to configure software RAID yourself).

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • @Sixell said:
    Go to RAID configuration on left navigation, change from RAID 1 to RAID 0.

@singsing said:
    No, you RAID-1 wastes half the capacity by storing a duplicate of all data. So you need to deconfigure RAID-1 try to see if there are settings for RAID-0 (preferable), or not using RAID at all (in which case you will have to configure software RAID yourself).

Thanks all. Sixell has the answer. :)

• OMG! This offer is irresistible!

• Why my SATA Dedibox Limited 3815 more faster than my SAS harddrive on online.net

• Might as well - it's be my first box under French laws.

• @Silvenga said:
    French laws.

• deadbeef said: deadbeef

I wonder if getting your head cut off is really painless - human trials?

• How is it installed on the disk, but still not installed?

• Silvenga said: How is it installed on the disk, but still not installed?

Read the yellow warning, wait for an hour.

The warning will disappear once the server is ready.

• Sixell said: Read the yellow warning, wait for an hour.

The warning will disappear once the server is ready.

I'm trying to think of a reason why the server is up and responding, but I still have this seemly artificial wait time to access ILO. I really just installed the OS so that I could install the OS manually.

• From Paris to Norway and back. Better result then I get from Hetzner:

• VitaVita Member
    edited September 2015

@rmlhhd said:
    If only Online.net would provide users with a BGP session or allow them to announce IP space :(

I'm not a BGP expert, but isn't it possible to open a tunnel (GRE, OpenVPN, IPSec) from online.net box to some remote box and peer with the remote box and announce your IPs via the tunnel?

• @Silvenga said:
    I wonder if getting your head cut off is really painless - human trials?

If the deceased feels pain, he can ask for a full refund.

• @myhken hi silly question but how is Norway connected to countries like France and/or Germany or .nl?
    When I read that hetzner would place a submarine cable from .de to .fi I can't recall If it said that .fi didn't have it's own submarine cables but that instead it went through something like .se .

• Yes, traffic from Norway goes through Sweden.

• @Vita said:
    I'm not a BGP expert, but isn't it possible to open a tunnel (GRE, OpenVPN, IPSec) from online.net box to some remote box and peer with the remote box and announce your IPs via the tunnel?

That is an option but it can cause stability issues and affect network performance/speeds. You'll still need a BGP Session with a provider somewhere aswell, if that other provider is having issues or deadpools or something then your screwed until you find another provider that offers BGP.

It would be much simpler if Online.net offered BGP sessions. Even if there was a setup fee or monthly cost of like €10 it'd certainly make a lot of people happy and they'd probably become the No. 1 EU provider.