Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlphaSSL certificates bought from hostmybytes revoked - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlphaSSL certificates bought from hostmybytes revoked

Comments

• @TheOnlyDK said:

Meh, I get Comodo for $3.95. But their cheapest wildcard is $69 a year.

• syncserve - 2xSSL Revoked

hostmybytes - 1xSSL Revoked

"third cheap ssl reseller" - 1xSSL Not revoked

"fourth cheap ssl reseller" - 3xSSL Not revoked

Based on that, only syncserve and hostmybytes are affected by this right now. :(

Thanked by 3vimalware FrankZ 4n0nx
  • @Steven_F said:
    Meh, I get Comodo for $3.95. But their cheapest wildcard is $69 a year.

Sounds like gogetssl. Time to use the wildcard + SAN mentioned in this thread.

@asf said:
    Based on that, only syncserve and hostmybytes are affected by this right now. :(

The certs that I got from other LET members are still valid but there are people mentioned that their certs got revoked even though they weren't from hmb or syncserve.

• NihimNihim Member
    edited September 2015

@TheOnlyDK so you can do any of the alpha certs except the wildcard or with the wildcard but for that 140 price?

As for the comodo wild cert is it one cert that has both domains listed I take it instead of two certs one for each domain correct?

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We can provide wildcard SSL free on the understanding they're only used on our VPS in Phoenix or Netherlands SingleHop network.

Thanked by 2asf perennate
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited September 2015

@Nihim said:
    TheOnlyDK so you can do any of the alpha certs except the wildcard or with the wildcard but for that 140 price?

I can do any cert. Alpha wildcards are $37, $67, $92 for 1-3 years respectively. + PayPal fees.

Thanked by 2wwwcom lostinwoods
  • Ah, OK then...

..anyway, I already found cheap wildcard certum based to replace them. 11.50 €/year @ nazwa

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@VMbox said:
    We can provide wildcard SSL free on the understanding they're only used on our VPS in Phoenix or Netherlands SingleHop network.

Well in a ticket with me you mentioned it could be used externally.

• MrGeneral said: Well in a ticket with me you mentioned it could be used externally.

That would be the truth - there isn't a technical reason why you can't use it elsewhere. Now, if you should, is a completely separate dilemma.

Thanked by 2FrankZ MikePT
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

XFS_Duke said: So, you could go ask @MannDude and a few others if they can trust me for SSL's

I've gotten my wildcard for vpsBoard from Duke for a couple years now. I'm still curious if it'll be revoked or not, haha, but I'm hoping it won't be.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • @MannDude said:
    I've gotten my wildcard for vpsBoard from Duke for a couple years now. I'm still curious if it'll be revoked or not, haha, but I'm hoping it won't be.

It won't be. Lol. All customer Certs are done through GlobalSign directly in my reseller account. I can provide proof of the transaction on GlobalSign's system if needed. :)

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Silvenga said: That would be the truth - there isn't a technical reason why you can't use it elsewhere. Now, if you should, is a completely separate dilemma.

This seems like a reasonable statement to me: You can't use them elsewhere because they'll get revoked if you do.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • We have a promo going on right now, $84.99 for your first year Comodo EV-SSL (Normally we charge $169.99 and Comodo charges $449).... Never been a fan of GlobalSign, we contacted them 2 years ago interested in offering their certificates but they weren't able to provide us with the level of service that we were looking for.

Now we deal with Comodo, and are working out a deal with Symantec and GeoTrust in the coming months.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2015

I wonder if all these people used the same SingleHop account?

Tinfoil intensifies

Francisco

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Silvenga said:
    That would be the truth - there isn't a technical reason why you can't use it elsewhere. Now, if you should, is a completely separate dilemma.

The reason is contractual. The certificates were stolen, so have been revoked.

• Clouvider said: The reason is contractual. The certificates were stolen, so have been revoked.

Again, there is no technical method to prevent the use of the certificates. Would you consider it stolen if I used it on localhost (technically breaking the agreement), should it be revoked, and how can someone detect that usage?

• @Silvenga said:
    Again, there is no technical method to prevent the use of the certificates. Would you consider it stolen if I used it on localhost (technically breaking the agreement), should it be revoked, and how can someone detect that usage?

They could query the main domain to see what certificate it offers and from what IP.

Why not just get your Certum wildcard SSLs (https://www.nazwa.pl/certyfikaty-ssl/) for $13 and be done with it?

Thanked by 2Francisco netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@elwebmaster said:
    Why not just get your Certum wildcard SSLs (https://www.nazwa.pl/certyfikaty-ssl/) for $13 and be done with it?

whoa, that's insane!

Silvenga said: Again, there is no technical method to prevent the use of the certificates. Would you consider it stolen if I used it on localhost (technically breaking the agreement), should it be revoked, and how can someone detect that usage?

I'm not going to argue this.

Say you have a certificate exampledomain999.co.uk. It's as simple as performing nslookup on the domain - not served from their network - stolen - and so revoked as stolen.

Next time use a provider that is not cheating on his/hers suppliers. That's it.

Thanked by 2netomx perennate

@elwebmaster said:

Last time I checked their certificates were marked as 'outdated security' as the root was signed using insecure key. Might have changed though.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @clouvider - are you able to clarify what you mean? how can they be "stolen"??

• I got my money back.. for my one certificate. Better i use CloudFlare certs..

Thanked by 1netomx

DeanKamitsis said: @clouvider - are you able to clarify what you mean? how can they be "stolen"??

If the contract between the provider and Singlehop states that the certificates are to be used only on their network, and the provider sells them externally, how else would you call it?

It means the provider was not entitled to them, but have taken them, I have just one word for this in my dictionary.

• Clouvider said: It means the provider was not entitled to them, but have taken them, I have just one word for this in my dictionary.

You need to get a new dictionary. 'Misused' would be an more appropriate term.

• I provided probably 10+ people on LET with some certs (have read about some certs getting revoked outside SH's network and didn't want to charge anything when I had no idea if it some day would get revoked, and since I already had the SH account, there was no extra charge for me, only my time). When I got the cert for you @rm, it was through GVH and their SH account, I only signed up with them for the SSL-certs. Then I got my own SH account paying $30/month for unlimited SSLs, I didn't mind the extra cost because I could reissue certs for the same CN instead of using my SHA1-wildcard cert with StartSSL. If only you could revoke your Class2-certs or choose to issue them for only 1 year. I can barely issue and certs for any of my domains because there is already a cert for the CN. That's why SH has been really nice for me.

Seems like all certs older than 30 days have been revoked. I checked their site after terms regarding the SSL-certs before I ordered and didn't find anything, checked again now, nothing. Going to contact their support to check why there is no info about it. $30/month*12, I could probably get some wildcard/normal certs for it and don't have to worry. Will have to see how this plays out :) Maybe Letsencrypt will make a huge difference.

• I think there's a lot of misinformation here. let me explain my POV

After nuggets started this ssl madness I contacted singlehop directly, and asked them what the deal was. they confirmed to me that so long as I had a valid SH account, and the cert was used on a SH product (ie VPS or shared hosting inside a VPS), then the customer could do what they wanted with the cert elsewhere. so these certs being revoked are not because they are stolen. it presumably is simply that the host account has been closed.

I looks at the maths of this. buy a VPS from SHM. setup shared hosting. sell the shared hosting, say $5 for a 10MB plan. the plan comes with wildcard SSL cert. you can then sell a LOT of plans on that hosting setup. it doesn't need to include cpanel or anything useful, as it probably doesn't get used. the maths works, so long as you cover the monthly cost each month, so about 600 plans/yr will net you a profit.

perhaps SH changed their position on this. perhaps their supplier got sus with the volume of certs. perhaps the sales guys misrepresented what could be done. anyway, I liked the numbers, but decided not to go ahead with it. if it seems too easy, it probably isn't real or sustainable. seems other found out the hard way.

really all I'm saying is that SH were involved with enabling this. a pity I didn't copy the chat log from what I was told

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Last time I checked their certificates were marked as 'outdated security' as the root was signed using insecure key. Might have changed though.

This is the report:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.nazwa.pl&s=85.128.128.42&hideResults=on

Can you change something from there, or it is task from the CA?

• asf said: Ah, OK then...

..anyway, I already found cheap wildcard certum based to replace them. 11.50 €/year @ nazwa

:( no english website? Did you use google translate ?