Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlphaSSL certificates bought from hostmybytes revoked - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlphaSSL certificates bought from hostmybytes revoked

Comments

• Ya, Fix'd.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited September 2015

@jeromeza - I had one of those too. They just refunded both the unused and the revoked cert.
    I really can't ask for more considering most of us understood what they were selling in the first place.

netomx said: Are you centriohost?

centriohost was an a-hole about it accusing everyone of abuse. Tyler is acting more reasonable.

• Got mine from a different AlphaSSL reseller and it's not revoked... yet. Hopefully it stays like that, I don't want to have to deal with that Israeli company again. (Not in a racist way, in a "i-dont-want-to-send-all-my-documents-which-would-totally-make-identity-theft-possible" way). And there's not many other options, as I need wildcard certificates.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited September 2015

@NeoXiD However, the cert of your domain in the signature is not valid...

Edit: Oh, the problem is a CN mismatch, not any revocation.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2015

We'll also be refunding all the customers but we're waiting for an update. Hopefully, we won't have to choose that way.

• @NeoXiD said:

Which Israeli company?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2015

What about vmbox.co? IIRC they use singlehop as well and provide free Wildcard SSL's which can be used externally.

StartSSL is from israel.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • Steven_F said: Which Israeli company?

StartSSL. I would be very vary to send my data to any company in Israel though considering any gov agency can just confiscate that data and use it as they want (like, for Mossad and so on...)

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited September 2015

@Steven_F said:
    Which Israeli company?

Exactly what @patrick7 said, StartSSL is from Israel. And all documents you send to them (and they require uncensored documents) are stored for atleast 7 years. Don't feel comfortable doing so.

@patrick7: Yes, I know, working on that page right now, DNS still points to the wrong server. Service itself is up, just not the webpage.

EDIT: To sum it up, exactly what @William said.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Quelle surprise! Seriously - at least this will stop all of them providers who are selling SH Certs :). Mine haven't been revoked though - but most of them are used on the SH Network =)

• @NeoXiD said:

@William said:

Is it any different than sending your information to Comodo or GeoTrust?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

Yes - NSA and CIA (among the other 10+ US agencies) are not known to use local data for forged passports, while this is a common tactic for Mossad and Shabak/Shin Bet.

• So where can the regular peasant such as myself go for valid ssl certificates? No resellers, just the source. And why are wildcard certificates so damn expensive?

It's not like the issuer needs huge computing power to generate kbytes of data.

• @Steven_F said:
    Is it any different than sending your information to Comodo or GeoTrust?

Comodo doesn't need you to send photo copy of your ID to them.

• @GM2015 said:
    So where can the regular peasant such as myself go for valid ssl certificates? No resellers, just the source. And why are wildcard certificates so damn expensive?

It's not like the issuer needs huge computing power to generate kbytes of data.

All I want to do is to get rid of the scary warning in the browser. Browser vendors must earn a good money from this business.

edited September 2015

Wildcards are so expensive because they want to make (a lot of) money. There is no technical reason.

Thanked by 2NeoXiD GM2015
  • https://letsencrypt.org/2015/08/07/updated-lets-encrypt-launch-schedule.html

Looks like this week LetsEncrypt will start releasing their free SSLs. ;)

Thanked by 3Nomad MikePT cassa
  • @Steven_F said:
    https://letsencrypt.org/2015/08/07/updated-lets-encrypt-launch-schedule.html

Are they supported by major browsers? It's interesting should major browsers trust them and put their root certs into the browsers, are the browser vendors going to lose all the money from selling certs?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

GM2015 said: So where can the regular peasant such as myself go for valid ssl certificates? No resellers, just the source.

WoSign

And why are wildcard certificates so damn expensive?

Because cartel

elgs said: All I want to do is to get rid of the scary warning in the browser.

Do you REALLY need wildcard, though? It looks silly, first you pretend to be a clueless user who "just wants the scary warning to go away", and then you absolutely must have a wildcard assuming you have a cluster of several dozens of servers, and with their names not even known in advance. What's your usage and how/what for do you use all those subdomains?

Thanked by 2GM2015 William
  • @elgs said:
    Are they supported by major browsers? It's interesting should major browsers trust them and put their root certs into the browsers, are the browser vendors going to lose all the money from selling certs?

Check out their FAQ.

Will certificates from Let’s Encrypt be trusted by my browser?

The short answer is “yes”.

The long answer is that our issuing intermediates will be cross-signed by a widely trusted IdenTrust root (DST Root CA X3). This will allow our certificates to be trusted while we work on propagating our own root. Please see https://letsencrypt.org/2015/06/04/isrg-ca-certs.html59 for more information about the Let's Encrypt intermediate CA.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • @rm_ said:
    Do you REALLY need wildcard, though? It looks silly, first you pretend to be a clueless user who "just wants the scary warning to go away", and then you absolutely must have a wildcard assuming you likely have a cluster of several dozens of servers, also with their names not known in advance. What's your usage and how/what for do you use all those subdomains?

Yes, I need wildcard, all my servers at least have a web interface. I don't like to see the scary warning anywhere. This probably is my OCD. I see the HTTPS/SSL/TLS serving two purposes, but I have the feeling the browser vendors deliberately blurred the boundary. One is encryption, the other one is authentication. Encryption is necessary, but most of the time, I don't care authentication, especially when my servers talk to each other internally.

edited September 2015

elgs said: all my servers at least have a web interface

If it's just for your own use (non-public), then you could just go with https://www.cacert.org/, free wildcard certs with 6 month validity, just install their root cert into browsers/OSes on your machines.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • I see, well I felt my sense of conspiracy strong at the time of asking my question, but I didn't want to reach such conclusions without asking clueless question in the first place!

Thanks for the answer.

rm_ said: GM2015 said: So where can the regular peasant such as myself go for valid ssl certificates? No resellers, just the source. WoSign And why are wildcard certificates so damn expensive?ecause cartel elgs said: All I want to do is to get rid of the scary warning in the browser.Do you REALLY need wildcard, though? It looks silly, first you pretend to be a clueless user who "just wants the scary warning to go away", and then you absolutely must have a wildcard assuming you have a cluster of several dozens of servers, and with their names not even known in advance. What's your usage and how/what for do you use all those subdomains?

• Thanks for that option. It's mostly for my company wide use, installing their root cert company wide is still acceptable.

• @rm_ said:
    If it's just for your own use (non-public), then you could just go with https://www.cacert.org/, free wildcard certs with 6 month validity, just install their root cert into browsers/OSes on your machines.

Though if it really is just personal/internal use, you can just roll your own CA and sign certs. One can even use something like EasyRSA to make it simpler.

edited September 2015

JustAMacUser said: Though if it really is just personal/internal use, you can just roll your own CA and sign certs. One can even use something like EasyRSA to make it simpler.

That's still more work than just using CACert (not to mention way more ghetto), besides by using them you support their cause (in a way), so hopefully some time in a distant future they will finally succeed in getting included into all browsers/etc by default.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Steven_F said:
    https://letsencrypt.org/2015/08/07/updated-lets-encrypt-launch-schedule.html

Yay, it looks very promising https://letsencrypt.org/howitworks

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited September 2015

Not being funny but why are some people here saying they are using singlehop's free ssls? Is there any proof that they have or is it just gossip? If it's just random gossip why are you spreading crap?