Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crissic has been acquired by QuadraNet - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crissic has been acquired by QuadraNet

Comments

• @MarkTurner said:

People did it with 4G. Bought 4G phones with the only 4G network being EE. They bought it and only now are able to use it. Or had to pay extra or wait till contract is due. People moved to EE or ISPs that didn't charge extra. Thats where you are with IPv6.

• Well if they get the batteries to where they can do 250 miles a day or more and recharge quickly. They might become viable in outer areas.

• @mpkossen said:
    Well, maybe (if popular demand supports it) we should only lists hosts on LowEndBox.com that support IPv6.

No IPv6 == no joy.

Multiple IPv4 with a VPS == you're wasting resources.

I am serious. More than 50 thanks to this post and it will become policy: no IPv6 === no listing on LowEndBox.com. Anybody/anything trying to stop that (for political reasons) will get the full load.

You seriously are my new hero.

Let's make this happen, folks.

Thanked by 1neills
  • LeeLee Veteran

mpkossen said: No IPv6 == no joy.

Whilst it's a good principle you really can't penalize providers just because the DC they are operating out of does not support IPv6.

Are people here really that bothered whether a provider can offer IPv6 and if they did would the use it? I would suspect the overwhelming majority will not.

So the basic test of:

1. Do people really yearn for IPv6?
    2. Is it fair to hold a provider accountable for the DC's lack of IPv6 support?
    3. Will it make a positive difference to LET/LEB or IPv6 implementation?

I feel all tests fail.

• Lee said: Do people really yearn for IPv6?

No, lots of people request it for the gimmick value, but traffic is beyond pitiful.

Is it fair to hold a provider accountable for the DC's lack of IPv6 support?

Yes, they made the decision to host there, so they have decided consequentially not to offer IPv6.

Will it make a positive difference to LET/LEB or IPv6 implementation?

No

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Already at 25

Thanked by 2TinyTunnel_Tom adly
  • @Lee said:
    I feel all tests fail.

If they want to advertise and be successful, they'll work with a datacenter that will. Whole point is to spur some adoption of IPv6. It needs to be on their mind.

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: You are likely to get demoted for that. You wont be allowing CC basically.

Unless CC is ready to roll out ipv6, and this is a nice way of narrowing LEB eligibility....

• sleddog said: Unless CC is ready to roll out ipv6, and this is a nice way of narrowing LEB eligibility....

I doubt CC will let it happen, the last thing they need is all their resellers tossed out.

• MarkTurner said: I doubt CC will let it happen, the last thing they need is all their resellers tossed out.

Really, it is not that hard to setup an ipv6 tunnel and claim "here, we have ipv6". Noone will be tossed out, except the really lazy ones.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited August 2015

MarkTurner said: I doubt CC will let it happen, the last thing they need is all their resellers tossed out.

I meant, if CC provided ipv6, including their brands.

But it's all moot IMO, LEB is like the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.

• rds100 said: Really, it is not that hard to setup an ipv6 tunnel and claim "here, we have ipv6"

Just like everyone else, I really can't understand why they haven't done it yet. Its not rocket science. But......

• @Francisco said:

Don't they give out free /48 blocks though?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    I feel all tests fail.

Likely, I'd be extremely surprised to see the policy stick. While CC may be 'ipv6 ready' in their newer Buffalo POP, I highly doubt any of their other spots are even close to ready or ever getting it, period.

But hey, push for 50 and see what happens.

Francisco

Thanked by 1adly
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

MarkTurner said: I doubt CC will let it happen, the last thing they need is all their resellers tossed out.

But isnt this what the object is? to put enough pressure on providers like CC to implement and push IPv6 ? I know that IPv6 is not available widly in exotic locations but this is the best start where the re-sellers (the datacenter's clients) will be pushing for IPv6 from their upstreams.

• Maybe they don't have enough incentive. My experience shows that less than 10% of the users ask for ipv6, even when it's clearly advertised as available, you just have to ask to get it. And even those who ask for it... the traffic is next to nothing.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    Don't they give out free /48 blocks though?

We do a /64 with each VPS. We have a feature request pending to provide routed /64 support, but there's not enough hours in the day. Ultimately our IPV6 rebuild will provide route /64's and IPV6 anycast.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

MarkTurner said: Yes, they made the decision to host there, so they have decided consequentially not to offer IPv6.

I disagree, based on your first answer.

MarkTurner said: No, lots of people request it for the gimmick value, but traffic is beyond pitiful.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@Infinity580 said:

Reddit banned in Russia because some stupid fucks were talking about drugs. Facebook is next because of "gay emoji". I feel VPN will be in demand there soon, for the people which dont know how to use Tor.
    If they learn this, already IT knowledge levels increased and IPv6 and need for it become more clear for a larger percentage of population which already is pretty literate in these things compared with others.

Thanked by 1neills
  • 44 likes. just 6 more required for this not to happen

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @Maounique said:
    If they learn this, already IT knowledge levels increased and IPv6 and need for it become more clear for a larger percentage of population which already is pretty literate in these things compared with others.

Most people in Russia doesn't speak English thus they don't visit reddit and use main vk.com instead of facebook. Basically it'll be a long time.

• LeeLee Veteran

mpkossen said: we should only lists hosts on LowEndBox.com that support IPv6

Also remember even if it does happen the effect is lessened even more as it only affects LEB listings, not LET.

• On topic... Just got the email:

My name is Ilan Mishan – CEO of QuadraNet Inc. I am sending you this e-mail to welcome you to the QuadraNet family. QuadraNet is now operating the Crissic brand with the extensive resources at our disposal.

First and foremost, I'd like to assure you that QuadraNet has no plans to change the excellent pricing and services offered to you by Crissic. That said, at least while the transition is underway, QuadraNet has elected to discontinue sales and marketing for the brand.

We hope that you continue to enjoy the services we provide and welcome you to check out QuadraNet's other offerings, if they appropriately suit your business needs.

Thank you for your continued patronage; we look forward to doing business with you!

Ilan Mishan 
    Chief Executive Officer 
    QuadraNet, Inc. / Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud

Thanked by 1Element

alexvolk said: Most people in Russia doesn't speak English thus they don't visit reddit and use main vk.com instead of facebook. Basically it'll be a long time.

I would say the same for chinese, yet they do need to get out on the internet now and then.

Yes, IPv6 traffic is low, but that is because people prioritize IPv4, this probably means that at least half of the existing IPv6 traffic HAS to be IPv6 for a reason or the other. It is already a lot and past 10% in the whole internet and then you can no longer avoid IPv6, 10% more visitors/customers can make a serious difference.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited August 2015

53 likes, It's official.

edited August 2015

@sleddog said:
    53 likes, It's official.

Buried in an unrelated thread, almost at random, in a forum owned by a natural enemy of IPv6 and it took like, what?, 90 minutes, to get 50 thanks. Who says IPv6 has no future?

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • rds100 said: Really, it is not that hard to setup an ipv6 tunnel and claim "here, we have ipv6". Noone will be tossed out, except the really lazy ones.

This - I did the same at EDIS first, UPC was not offering transit with IPv6 (kinda strange, but eh, it's UPC) so EDIS just got a /29 netblock from RIPE and 2 tunnel servers in Germany with BGP, was up and running in a few hours (with help from you actually). If you want it there is no reason why you can't do it within some hours.

edited August 2015

@William said:

We have it at incero and nobody complained. There is no justification not to offer it even if only 1% of users need it for 1% of their needs and even if your DC hopes to make money from selling IPv4. They can't stop you.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Well, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the next tag added to LEB will be native ipv6 :P

• @Zappie said:
    Well, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the next tag added to LEB will be native ipv6 :P

And an 'IPv6 tunnel' tag I guess.

Waiting to see all IPv4-only offers removed from LEB....