Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - Update - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - Update

Comments

• @Gary said: Loving the drama. :)

Well I hate the damn drama.

• Thats cause your half eaten :D

• @Gary said: Maybe he just told Chris it was Solus's fault to cover his own ass

Or may Chris 'thinks' its Solus fault.. maybe cuz there's no clarity from anyone/anywhere.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I haven't lost all faith in Chicagovps nor @Chris simply because I think the lesson has been learnt and there seems to be a "let's get back to progress" attitude and also well needed change. Furthermore, support was really beefed up last night and today as he said it would be and no offense to Jeremiah but Jeremiah is not the only one that can do a good job running and managing servers so if he was fired for just reasons, its not necessarily the end of the world as we know it for chicagovps. The important thing is to ensure to the best ability of cvps that this does not occur like how virpus fails every year with a few of their nodes. Allowing centralized backups or even a once a month automated central backup might be a step up, though I"m not sure how feasible this would be. Anyways to @Chris and cvps, I wish you all the best in recovering and overcoming this challenge... and there ends my essay :-)

• Seems like the resident LET sleuths pieced the puzzle together.

Someone out there knows what Colocrossing and ChicagoVPS connection truly is. Rumors about that relationship keep circling...

Odd that Shinkle had issue at ChicagoVPS and now is gone from Colocrossing too.

That only makes sense where ChicagoVPS and Colocrossing are one in the same owner(s). Or where Shinkle decided admin work and client support wasn't his thing anymore and is headed in a different career direction (i.e. he went off).

As far as compliments on the tickets, you can outsource tickets to competent folks that would get things done within minutes. Only person I saw manning tickets was Chris himself.

Pretty stupid to wait 2+ days just to be told go reinstall your OS and start over again. That should have been told to folks like me when CVPS knew they were f'd and the data was gone (probably in the first 6 hours of the outage).

• I've got a theory that ColoCrossing owns CVPS...

My perception on this is;

Chris fudged up somewhere; lost 10 nodes (1000 VPS?).
    Demanded jshinkle to fix it. Denied.
    After several arguments; jshinkle said F U Chris and your BS DC and walked.

That's my theory; it's plausible with the shit that Chris has been putting out on LET, and most likely to his friends too.

• more like 3000 vps from what I have been seing around the posts that chris has been making. At least for 10 nodes.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Mun said: more like 3000 vps from what I have been seing around the posts that chris has been making. At least for 10 nodes.

Uhm.. Hosting 300 2GB VPS per container is a bit too much. Of course - nothing bad in overselling, but doubt that they host that much per node ;)

1000 affected customers sounds more reasonable.

• @eastonch said: I've got a theory that ColoCrossing owns CVPS...

I doubt so. ColoCrossing don't go as low in prices.

• Why would they need to? Make CVPS the cheapskate VPS and make ColoCrossing the "we're premium" shit.

• Well chris stated he is getting a return on investment on a 6K server in 2 months so. Calculating.... 300 hosts per node sounds about right with $10 a month service. Sounds like a lot, but hey we are talking about cvps and not linode here.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

An e3 would also handle 200 servers hardly.

• it is still a lot, and i mean a lot.

• Am I missing something? 100+ 2gb VZ containers on a single E3 node?

• @Jack said: @Mun I doubt he has 300 on them , I can see 150-200 being on an E3 but I doubt 200+.

Are we talking about a 32gb E3 that is potentially oversold to 300-400gb or RAM? That's insane. Sorry. Not something I'd do. Serious. The risks are too high.

• @Jack said: You think he only sells 16/node?

I obviously don't, since I'm a customer and knows what happens when I use it. But 150-200 is in a totally different league to 16.

• Chris said 10 nodes with 1000 customers, so it's about 100 per node.

• What if only 5 node was full?

• @LAKid said: Chris said 10 nodes with 1000 customers, so it's about 100 per node.

I doubt 1 customer orders 1 only for those prices. That's how Jack got 150-200.

• key word customers, many of us have more then one vps.

• So if you do my calc again and make it about 3 months instead of 2 and boom you get 200 XD Still a bloody load of servers

• @eastonch, yep, sounds proximate.

We called Chris out about the relationship this week and he laughed it off. Said his friend from same town grew up in was common link between CVPS and Colocrossing. I think that friend isn't Shinkle, but is Jon Biloh.

But, I am almost certain that Shinkles double duty is just one job. One in the same company basically CVPS = Colocrossing. Or at least a shared subsidiary project (see mumblings about CVPS launching storage offer and Colocrossing launching an upcoming cloud).

Funny that I find Jon Biloh the head of Colocrossing complimenting CVPS in July 2011:

All I read about ChicagoVPS on LEB are positive things. They seem to be one of the very few VPS providers that have their act together.>

[see: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1069039]

Then you have Biloh defending CVPS in April of this year:

No kidding. It's really shameless bashing by a competitor when he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. >

[see: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1148149]

Velocity Servers (a Colocrossing brand) lists Chris of CVPS ias a sales associate. [see: http://www.chamberofcommerce.com/buffalo-ny/33151505-velocity-servers-inc/ ]

So we know Colocrossing in theory use to be Chris' employer in the past. We expect them to be friends and live in the same town growing up. Fact is, they currently share the same zipcode and live mighty close to each other. Same zipcode and 2.8 mile spread with big box stores between them. That's gleaned from their public addresses for their businesses.

ChicagoVPS' main company, New Wave NetConnect spells the situation out real clear:

ChicagoVPS continues to enjoy strong growth thanks in part to its excellent reputation and clear 100% uptime SLA (service level agreement) supported by Colocrossing. 2011 brought another division, BuffaloVPS. BuffaloVPS is fitting to NWNX since the headquarters are located in Buffalo,NY. The new data center will be opened in Summer 2011 for a New York based hosting specializing in Dedicated and VPS servers.>

[see: http://www.nwnx.net/History.html ]

So, as alleged by many, BuffaloVPS was indeed ChicagoVPS or it was a joint project with Colocrossing, thus the joint Shinkle relationship.

Right there, ChicagoVPS is saying "The new data center"... Never did they say Colocrossing's new datacenter though. Read between the subtle lines.

Maybe this summarizes the dog and pony lead us around in the wrong direction game:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jc__rSz1HfwJ:www.whoismind.com/whois/cheapsnakeoil.com.html+&cd=213&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• I'm sorry, but how many of you actually used a VPS on ChicagoVPS? Their servers were useless. If you tried to actually run Apache2 or MySQL on one of the 1GB servers, they would just stop responding after about an hour or two. Restarting the processes would just give you another hour or two. His service is massively oversold, and there are even a couple of current (though probably not anymore) customers talking about the exact same issues over the last few days.

Someone mentioned that Chris is 17 years old. If that's the truth, I'm not surprised by any of the recent events, nor by his attitude. I can easily see him taking a course in life like that Grant guy that has been scamming various hosts/clients for the last few years (searching the name right here might return that recent thread).

I am truly amazed that Chris is able to keep any customers, though, with the horrid quality of service he provides. I can only imagine he is able to make any money at all through the businesses he's tagging along with (the ones mentioned in the post above), and that his own service, ChicagoVPS, is some sort of side-project where the low retention, high sales volume practice of selling 150+ VPSs per node is the business plan.

• @lzp, Chris is 23-24.

• Right, which sort of makes his attitude and actions a bit LESS excusable.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: dog and pon

Keep us out of this drunky

Fran

• ChicagoVPS is how Colocrossing is selling bulks of otherwise idle unused servers.

By one account from someone at CVPS and who had a material interest in CVPS they colocate 100 servers with Colocrossing.

Me, I think the spin got spun. CVPS is using 100 servers in Colocrossing's facility.

CVPS = BuffaloVPS (like everyone said day #1) = Colocrossing

• First thing everyone says, no they don't do that many....unless maybe.....

Got to love it.

• Why are all threads related to CVPS filled with speculations and dramas. Go back to the thread you created @pubcrawler, one thread filled with shit ton of drama is enough, we don't need this one to turn into another 7+ pages dramaland as well. Just let CVPS deal with their clients through their own support channels, LET is not a support forum for them, nor is it a place to publish your own work of fiction with no solid proof. If you guys have an issue with them, email them, no need to continue with the speculations and theories here.

/rant

• Hey, anyone seen that Adam Johnston fellow who owned BuffaloVPS? I bet he could shed a lot of light on CVPS and Colocrossing ;)