Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - Update - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - Update

Comments

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited November 2012

edited

• @rds100 said: If we assume the pictures are real, jshinkle sure looks like She.

haha that's a template. Chris still hasn't finished fixing it up. Jeremiah is totally a dude.

• Context fail: https://www.facebook.com/jeremiah.shinkle <--- try this it is much more accurate, and ohhh would you look at his history for jobs. See my little thing to @soluslabs yeah that is why.

• @HalfEatenPie said: haha that's a template. Chris still hasn't finished fixing it up. Jeremiah is totally a dude.

Oh, could be. Why didn't they put a male picture at least :) Ok, i agree, sounds more like male.

• Read your post @Mun about your own CVPS issues. Sounds correct on the IO lag/delay.

You might want to consider a separate front end and backend server for MySQL within the same provider network over a VLAN.

BuyVM offers just that in San Jose. Probably others that do similar.

• @Mun said: Context fail: https://www.facebook.com/jeremiah.shinkle <--- try this it is much more accurate, and ohhh would you look at his history for jobs. See my little thing to @soluslabs yeah that is why.

Looking at the job list i gather he no longer works for colocrossing and no longer works for ChicagoVPS? I wonder what happened... probably related to all this drama?

• @pubcrawler said: Read your post @Mun about your own CVPS issues. Sounds correct on the IO lag/delay.

You might want to consider a separate front end and backend server for MySQL within the same provider network over a VLAN.

BuyVM offers just that in San Jose. Probably others that do similar.

Its okay, Im already setup. The main database server was moved off cvps about 1 month ago to intovps.com and haven't has an issue since. Great support too. Was night to day from CVPS, sorry but its true.

• @rds100 said: @Mun said: Context fail: https://www.facebook.com/jeremiah.shinkle <--- try this it is much more accurate, and ohhh would you look at his history for jobs. See my little thing to @soluslabs yeah that is why.

Looking at the job list i gather he no longer works for colocrossing and no longer works for ChicagoVPS? I wonder what happened... probably related to all this drama?

I would say so, and as many people have said here, Jeremiah was the brains and brawn of CVPS so I don't think anyone at CVPS currently has any idea what fully went down anymore. Sadly.

• @pubcrawler said: Don't blow your beverage out your nose:

Our home base in Chicago, aka Dupont Fabros Technology, is by far the most advanced, stable and redundant facility in North America, and perhaps the world. Every single aspect of the complex has multiple layers of security, fail-over protection and backup systems. This is one serious fortress for your data.

DOH. You got me! Now we'll see if my monitor is coke-proof.

• @Mun,

What's the noise about Jeremiah no longer being with CVPS? Sorry I don't do Facebook :(

• On his facebook page it says he has stopped working at CVPS.

• Shinkle left colocrossing and cvps? Wtf?

• WOW!

I thought I just saw Jeremiah responding to tickets this week. (well not mine personally, but others).

If he's gone then I am running for high ground elsewhere.

• @Randy said: @DewlanceVPS can you read?

And you can read or listen?
    How many times you have to be told that this poor guy doesn't even know why he's here.. actually he doesn't even want to be here... but after 'AutoBoot', the ostemplate loads LET ... :P

• AsadAsad Member
    edited November 2012

@Mun IntoVPS are a great provider, you'll be happy with them :) though you should also have looked at BuyVM and their offloaded SQL hosting.

The only issues I've had with IntoVPS are weird networks drops in their UK location.

• Not to smack the MySQL offloading @Mun anymore than this --- BuyVM charges something tiny for the offloading. Their MySQL server is really fast and way more IOPS than you are going to see on most VPS'es.

I for one have about given up on running anything that uses MySQL heavily on a VPS. IOPs are low and priority given to subscribers is often in the basement. That's how this segment of the industry leans.

Mileage will vary. There are some honest high performance VPS companies out there with less taxed servers and better priorities to subscribers.

• @NickM said: He should reveal it so that hosts can effectively protect themselves.

So that hosts who know where to look can effectively protect themselves. Hosts can already protect themselves by disabling API stuff, if what Chris says is true.

Better to work with Solus and have them make the announcement through the proper channels, no?

Interesting that Jeremiah seems to have abandoned ship though...

As for backups not working/being deleted/whatever - customers can just recover things from their own backups. They have their own backups, right? If they don't, they deserve to have had their VPS wiped, if only to force them to make backups (and backups of those backups) in future. If you have anything you don't want to lose, back it the hell up! S3 isn't expensive, we know VPSes aren't expensive, there's Google Drive and a ton of other online storage solutions.

I continue to be baffled by the number of people who don't keep regular backups. You see people on WHT complaining that "company X lost my data!!111!!" - no they didn't. You lost your data by trusting company X to not lose it. Mistakes, accidents, hardware failures and malicious attacks happen. Your data is your responsibility. It's even worse when people moan about having customers bitching at them because their sites are down. It's bad enough to have your own site down, but if someone's paying you to host their site, and you don't have a backup strategy, you don't deserve to be in business. All an unmanaged host should do is ensure your VPS is up, accessible, and performing acceptably. Everything else is your responsibility.

With a little scripting you could make automated backups. Set and forget. Then you could have your VPS back up and running in no time after a disaster.

• Anyone notice that @jshinkle is a "DISABLED" account on Lowendtalk now?

See:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/2910/jshinkle

WTF is going on? He just posted here on Friday.

I am starting to really wonder what Colocrossing and CVPS relationship is. How's Shinkle gone from both companies on the same day... That is the day of or right after this mysterious compromise and destruction of the systems.

Is Shinkle who is responsible for Friday's CVPS problems?

Who pulled @jshinkle 's account?

• @pubcrawler I wonder too. This kind of confirms that it was a screw up of ChicagoVPS and nothing to do with solusvm vulnerability.
    Now if i were a customer of chicagovps and had my credit card stored there - i would have already called the bank to have this card cancelled and reissued.

• @AsadHaider said: @Mun IntoVPS are a great provider, you'll be happy with them :) though you should also have looked at BuyVM and their offloaded SQL hosting.

The only issues I've had with IntoVPS are weird networks drops in their UK location.

I did, they have no stock

• @Mun said: I did, they have no stock

They have lots of stock: http://www.doesbuyvmhavestock.com/

• @Mun said: I did, they have no stock

They have stock every weekday, at around 1300 GMT (for me).

• Odd, when I was checking over and over again they didn't. Please note this was over a month ago.

• @pubcrawler said: Who pulled @jshinkle 's account?

chris or @chief can throw some light..

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2012

Someone told me that one if the admins passwords was revealed, but chris denied this in IRC.

What is really going down?

• I don't think chris is going to say anything at the moment. I don't think he wants to state what is fully going on, as to tell you the truth I think he is praying for him to come back.

• re: the Jeremiah thing. On the CVPS facebook page, it seems Jeremiah was posting as recently as Friday the 2nd of November. According to Jeremiah's facebook page:

CNO and Co-Owner · Williamsville, New York · September 2010 to November 2012

Given that we're only on the 4th of November, it seems that Jeremiah either quit or was fired in the last 48 hours.

Could he have been the weak link here? Was the security hole actually his fault, instead of Solus's? I've read that he was the techy one at CVPS. Maybe he just told Chris it was Solus's fault to cover his own ass.

Or - and this is an out there theory - did Jeremiah do this whole thing? Was it a parting "fuck you" to Chris? Solus claim to have looked at the area Chris says was the problem, and says there's no problem. Chris's attitude of late has been lousy. He seems quite contrite right now, but mabe Chris pissed off Jeremiah, or Chris was pissed off because of Jeremiah...

Loving the drama. :)

• @Gary more likely if you ever have watched CVPS, which it sounds like you haven't, Jeremiah was everything. I mean everything. Without him CVPS maybe a lost cause. I think the issue maybe something around a hole, but the only one who probably knows is Jeremiah himself thus CVPS is dead in the water and can't report the issue to Solusvm.

I think why chris hasn't said yes or no to this is because of the above. I mean would you like to be in Steve Jobs shoes when he had to say Waz is gone. Nope. Probably the same context too. Chris has the idea, Jeremiah has the brains.

• @mun - nah, I hadn't really paid much attention to them before the thread about Chris jumping in on someone else's offer on LEB, and then the "hack".

Chris behaves unprofessionally.
    CVPS gets "hacked" and loses a ton of containers.
    Jeremiah leaves/gets fired.

I'm interested to know in what way the three above facts are cause or effect for each other. Regardless, it doesn't look good for CVPS.

• One thing for sure, chris will come up with 2G plan with $2/m soon...:)