Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - Update - Page 23
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - Update

1171819202123»

Comments

• @jarland
    @W1V_Lee

Couldn't agree more.

• Is everything stable now for customers?

• Did customers ever get their refunds and/or credits?

• From my understanding, every customer that has submitted a ticket, was credited for problems/downtime.

• Seems everything stable now?

• Haven't had any more random reboots in LA, still on LA1.

• @ihatetonyy said: Haven't had any more random reboots in LA, still on LA1.

Does it feel not overloaded?

• I'm thinking this thread would have probably been far less than 10 pages if a key person would not keep digging the hole deeper.

• :) It should feel more peppy. The nodes that were blown up likely are fairly empty.

Bunch of customers probably blissfully unaware still that their VPS is gone or offline. Wonder how many are on autopay?

• I can start posting one liners. Hear the SMS 140 character rap'munications is all the rage.

• @pubcrawler I've wondered about that before, considering how many people i've seen who always complain about how they're losing hundreds of dollars an hour when a site is down, seem blissfully unaware if their node has been off for more than 6 hours... Some people may be the same way for over a month.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited November 2012

Crazy Eddie or Crazy Chris?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ivhRPiQueaE

• @kbeezie, you are right on. Tons of folks are paid ahead, autobilled and in cruise control. See it in other businesses, know it is this way in hosting.

• @pubcrawler said: It should feel more peppy. The nodes that were blown up likely are fairly empty.

LA as a whole didn't seem to be involved in the node losses, so I'm sure my node is far from empty. The only thing plaguing it are the reboots, which seem to be solved as I've got a record-breaking 2 day uptime. I'll knock on wood that it only goes up from there.

@jcaleb said: Does it feel not overloaded?

No, it doesn't.

For all the talk of overloading and boxes full to the seams with customers to everyone's detriment, I've never had a problem with CVPS in general throughout the times I've had servers with them, and my server on LA1 is still good.. random reboots aside.

Starting with the disk test du jour:

[root@fundamental html]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.02811 s, 178 MB/s

Continuing with a download test..

[root@fundamental html]# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-11-15 04:58:28--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â100mb.testâ

100%[=================================================================================>] 104,857,600 6.78M/s   in 15s

012-11-15 04:58:43 (6.83 MB/s) - â100mb.testâ

Pulling that file from LA1 to..

NodeDeploy Phoenix: 2012-11-15 05:05:39 (5.40 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to VortexUnit SJ: 2012-11-15 13:35:31 (2.17 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to Catalyst NC: 2012-11-15 05:19:53 (944 KB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to Catalyst Denver: 2012-11-15 05:27:06 (735 KB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to RAMNode Dallas: 2012-11-15 05:32:41 (1.83 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to NodeDeploy Atlanta: 2012-11-15 05:34:40 (1.09 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to BuyVM Buffalo: 2012-11-14 18:38:24 (650 KB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

..interestingly, inside QuadraNet the transfer speeds scream:

To VPS6 LA: 2012-11-15 05:14:46 (46.0 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to NodeDeploy LA (100Mbit): 2012-11-14 11:16:34 (8.66 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    and to BlueVM LA: 2012-11-14 18:18:42 (41.5 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
    ..and to Hostigation LA: 2012-11-14 18:17:13 (18.6 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

This was all within the last hour or so. I don't know if I'm testing at a good time or a bad time, but it's the time I'm making this post.

At a cursory glance from this all, around Best Coast, the speeds are good.

When I'm using it for streaming, it's going to only be serving content within California. When I'm using it for privately messing around with WordPress stuff, I won't care much about port speeds because the speeds above are decidedly good enough for that. When I'm using it for Minecraft, I might have a problem with my friends on the East Coast, they will deal.

I don't expect to be able to fully saturate my allotted 100Mbit, especially not for $5/mo. I know that I can sure as hell speed past that allotted 100Mbit within QuadraNet, which is kind of neat and I'm sure I'll find a use for that at some point.

This is my third time around, the first two times having been in Chicago, and I left both prior times because I just didn't have a use for a 2GB server after getting bored of Minecraft. I don't know that I won't get bored this time around, but I'll live with it for $5. All times, this one included (even with the node reboots), I have not left dissatisfied.

I don't expect the world for what I'm paying, even though many providers here can indeed deliver the world within the LEB price range; and, after the CVPS implosion, went to great pains to prove that. That's wonderful.

If the hordes want to attack Chris personally for his prior nastiness or for the very hazy circumstances surrounding the ten nodes' implosions, he's certainly left himself open in those areas. My advice to @pubcrawler would be to beat that dead horse dead-on instead of trying to find ten different way to do it, though.

tl;dr: LA1 could well implode like the other nodes did right after I submit this post. But as a quick review over the short time I've had service in LA, in between reboots things have been quite good. Beat up Chris if you want but when he says he delivers good service he's not feeding anyone bullshit.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited November 2012

I'm seeing random reboots on my Chicago node, as my IRC bot is running on there and keeps on dying (I don't have mysql/the bot set to start up automatically after a reboot).

It's annoying, but I guess I can just set up a startup script to start mysql and the bot.

• @ihatetonyy,

Disk speeds there on your test = good.

Cachefly speed test = ho hum. Really depends on how close their node is to your server. Unsure what CVPS California network looks like, so hard to say. Should be hitting 10-13M/s.

I get 10.2M/s on Cachefly from Buffalo (BuyVM). 32.7M/s from Lenoir, NC. 101M/s from Dallas. 11.2M/s from VortexUnit (San Jose). Mind you, see blips in performance degrades at some of these locations (shared resources).

West coast (WA, OR, CA) facilities seem to be only truly good for serving the west coast. Rare to see good throughput rates back east unless the provider long hauls their own traffic. Don't know why this is, but rampant problem.

LA sounds like a better CVPS install location, if you can deal with randomboot and being migrated on a whim.

Was looking back at my own CVPS experience. In first month of subscribing experienced terrible CPU, no IO. Abuse on the node was the excuse followed by a forced migration to another node. CVPS has a long history of node abuse and moving folks around.

$5 for a 2GB VPS that sits idle? I guess. I have my own collection for backup / failover. You'd do better with that $60/year buying several smaller annual plan(s) from proven companies (BuyVM, RamNode, etc.)

• @ihatetonyy thanks. very kind of you to post bench. That says so much more than words of speculations.

• LA note now seems stable.

Current Server Time 2012-11-15 08:22:04
    Server Uptime 3Day0Hour20Minute
    CPU Model [4Core] Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz | Frequency:1600.000 | Secondary cache:8192 KB | Bogomips:6999.80 ×4

Will monitor another week before I put data in.

• @pubcrawler said: Cachefly speed test = ho hum.

True, that's why I threw in all the various locations pulling from the CVPS server.

@pubcrawler said: West coast (WA, OR, CA) facilities seem to be only truly good for serving the west coast.

Haven't had good luck reaching well from one coast to the other. I started out with a VPS in Florida (the original URPad, actually) and it wasn't very pretty doing a good job pushing over here to CA.

That said, VPS6 LA can push pretty decently (5MB/s+) to Catalyst NC, SecureDragon, and ND Atlanta.

@pubcrawler said: $5 for a 2GB VPS that sits idle? I guess.

Gonna throw Telephone LG on it once I battle the SpaceBukkit installer script to bend to my will. And mess with WordPress stuff on it, and throw it in the streaming bin once I am fairly sure AutoBOOT has been configured properly.

• kairus@mumble:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.1338 s, 106 MB/s
    kairus@mumble:~$ wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-11-15 09:03:44--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 9.02M/s   in 11s

2012-11-15 09:04:01 (8.93 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]
    top - 09:04:29 up 42 days,  5:06

It's been up since the day I bought it...

Could this thread just get locked and if necessary, people can open topics that have a more narrow subject instead of just bashing random aspects of CVPS?

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited November 2012

edit

• @LAKid said: L.A vps is down for me again.

Migrated or are you still on LA1? Because I'm up here..

08:11:35 up 3 days,  2:06,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00