Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you send an invoice to a client if their VPS box was suspended for 'Abuse'? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you send an invoice to a client if their VPS box was suspended for 'Abuse'?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yes, because if it was not worth terminating over then a line of communication is worth looking at, however in 99.999% of cases this is just automation in the billing panel.

Dillybob said: when their VPS is suspended. It's quite the opposite, it's disrespectful.

See above, you are not a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: yes, because if it was not worth terminating over then a line of communication is worth looking at, however in 99.999% of cases this is just automation in the billing panel.

As I said before, this is not a valid excuse... You're blaming the issue on the software is what you're saying? So it's not the providers fault, it's the software that they use? You know how unprofessional that sounds right?

AnthonySmith said: See above, you are not a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Never said I was? Don't care if it was me or a friend of mine... It's the business practices and question that is at hand, not my importance or yours. This goes for anyone, not just me.

Edit: WHMCS worst of the billing industry video will be made about this if I can gather proof that the system does send automated invoices on suspended vps's. I need screenshots from a provider of the setting if it's optional/etc. Please pm me, thanks.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Dillybob said: As I said before, this is not a valid excuse... You're blaming the issue on the software is what you're saying? So it's not the providers fault, it's the software that they use? You know how unprofessional that sounds right?

A valid excuse for what? Did you expect the provider to apologize for annoying you with invoice after you decided that it would be a good idea to attack the their network and violate the terms of service?

Can we please implement that option to have an ignore list?

• TheCTSTheCTS Member

@Dillybob said:
    This is untrue. I did not use it to DOS other networks, I used it so I can test iptables rules on the node itself. No outbound 'dosing' was sent from the node, it was from my main router to the node (inbound). I was testing UDP Flood and iptable rules. Those are entirely two different things. Stop spreading false information please.

Did you have permission from the host and all networks between them and your "router" to UDP flood your VPS? No? Ok, then you deserve to be suspended and they have the right to send you an invoice for your dumb mistake.

edited June 2015

perennate said: Did you expect the provider to apologize for annoying you with invoice after you decided that it would be a good idea to attack the their network and violate the terms of service?

The VPS was suspended weeks before the invoice was generated. The invoice is an 'automated email' so I heard from WHMCS, so you're telling me WHMCS knows that I 'DOS'd a network'? What?? The provider knows and should of either a) stopped the invoice from being sent, or b) contact me or have some type of automatic email/billing system to see if I want to continue service with them.

Then, once both parties agreed, it would be appropriate for the invoice to be issued. That's basic business ethics. You don't send someone a invoice if they have no service or their product doesn't work.. I'm not even a hosting provider and I know this.

If they would of emailed me before-hand and asked if I wanted to continue service with them, that would of made me a lot more happier as a customer and potentially accept their invoice!..but instead, let's send a client a invoice for a suspended VPS that has no service/doesn't work. That logic.

• @Dillybob said:

I think you need to admit your the one in the wrong, done the thing that was against their TOS.

They have followed exactly that their TOS says, either cancel it or work with them to fix your "mistake".

However I think your attitude of them being the ones in the bad has pretty much blacklisted you from any host who reads through this topic.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
    edited June 2015

AshleyUk said: However I think your attitude of them being the ones in the bad has pretty much blacklisted you from any host who reads through this topic.

Should probably make your way back to page 1 and look at the Poll results before making that assumption. :)

Dillybob said: Then, once both parties agreed, it would be appropriate for the invoice to be issued. That's basic business ethics. You don't send someone a invoice if they have no service or their product doesn't work.. I'm not even a hosting provider and I know this.

If they would of emailed me before-hand and asked if I wanted to continue service with them, that would of made me a lot more happier as a customer and potentially accept their invoice!..but instead, let's send a client a invoice for a suspended VPS that has no service/doesn't work. That logic.

So your qualm lies entirely with the name ("invoice" instead of "payment reminder") of the document that's generated? In that case WHMCS supports this 100%, just change the language files, "Payment Reminder: your service is due soon, please see the document Make a Payment #11000".

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:

And I bet the 50~% that voted yes are providers, the others clients paying couple ££.

If you don't agree with how its done, you never should signed up with them, as its quite clear in their TOS, and well you did read it right? As you agrreded to it as a legally binding document.

• @perennate said:
    So your qualm lies entirely with the name ("invoice" instead of "payment reminder") of the document that's generated? In that case WHMCS supports this 100%, just change the language files, "Payment Reminder: your service is due soon, please see the document Make a Payment #11000".

Payment Reminder != Invoice.

edited June 2015

Dillybob said: Payment Reminder != Invoice.

Yes, that's why you change the language files... you can still have the "invoice paid notification" stay the same.

edited June 2015

perennate said: Yes, that's why you change the language files...

No... because if you see a 'Payment Reminder' email and then the page says 'Total Due: xxx' PAY NOW. Is not a payment reminder, that's a fucking invoice.

edited June 2015

Dillybob said: No... because if you see a 'Payment Reminder' and then a page that says 'Total Due: xxx' PAY NOW. Is not a payment reminder, that's a fucking invoice.

No, that's "Make a Payment #1100".

Edit: also it doesn't say "pay now".

edited June 2015

perennate said: No, that's "Make a Payment #1100".

You're distorting the definition of invoice. It's a demand of money. Payment Reminder is just reminding someone that they need to pay something, it's not a DEMAND. You have the definitions of these two words mixed up.

Does this look like a 'Payment Reminder' page to you?

Pretty sure, this is an invoice and they want you to pay it now.

Dillybob said: Payment Reminder is just reminding someone that they need to pay something, it's not a DEMAND. You have the definitions of these two words mixed up.

I think you missed the part where I said it's "Make a Payment #1100", not "Payment Reminder #1100".

Also you're saying that "hey, reminder to pay this, otherwise we terminate your account" is not demand? That sounds more demanding then "hey bro, invoice generated here".

• @perennate said:
    I think you missed the part where I said it's "Make a Payment #1100", not "Payment Reminder #1100".

Just curious, what are you trying to get at? Are you saying that a Payment Reminder is identical to an invoice? Or are you saying that the provider should change the whcms's language files from invoice -> Payment Reminder to be excused of their bad business practices?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

hey dilly, aren't you zerocool or jon? you sound as desperate to win as they were

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • netomx said: hey dilly, aren't you zerocool or jon? you sound as desperate to win as they were

Just exposing bad business practices that's all, I'm really nobody.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: As I said before, this is not a valid excuse... You're blaming the issue on the software is what you're saying

Blame? no, that's just stupid, that is just the way it works, suck it up.

@Dillybob seriously you need to stop acting the fool, I dont know why you are so completely and utterly butt hurt but this "The hosting industry and everything in it is against me" attitude needs to stop, no one is agreeing with you in general, you are just creating drama for the sake of drama.

I have around 7000 customers, I suspend people weekly for abuse, I do this by emailing them the suspend reason then opening a ticket i.e. the line of communication, what I do not then do is prevent any future invoices from being generated, because if the issue is sorted out and it was not malicious then the invoice is still due!

• If you don't have the time to respond to a suspension, why should the system ask you if you want to renew/cancel . You probably don't have time to reply to that as well. And hosts do not configure the whmcs only for you, other users would probably like to be billed and have their data safe till the time they resolve the suspension reason.

edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: @Dillybob seriously you need to stop acting the fool, I dont know why you are so completely and utterly butt hurt but this "The hosting industry and everything in it is against me" attitude needs to stop, no one is agreeing with you in general, you are just creating drama for the sake of drama.

That's why 45% of the people voted no on the poll?

AnthonySmith said: I have around 7000 customers, I suspend people weekly for abuse, I do this by emailing them the suspend reason then opening a ticket i.e. the line of communication,

That's what I'm SAYING!!! I'm saying that's what should of been done...... Open some type of communication between the client and the provider before the invoice is sent. What you're doing is exactly what I'm arguing for and I agree with what you just said and think that is the appropriate way of handling suspended VPS's.

This specific host did not do that, and that's bad business practice. Also, please stop with the ad-hominen attacks, it's getting really annoying. I'm not butt hurt with anything, just how some people in this thread are trying to defend their bad business practices and are blinded by their own arrogance.

Dillybob said: Just curious, what are you trying to get at? Are you saying that a Payment Reminder is identical to an invoice? Or are you saying that the provider should change the whcms's language files from invoice -> Payment Reminder to be excused of their bad business practices?

When I mentioned the payment reminder on VPSBoard, I was mainly thinking about OVH. When you get a payment reminder email, then you would be directed to the renew service page, where you can select the duration to renew for and it would display the cost. This says the amount due, just like the screenshot of an invoice that you posted above. Can you clarify what you believe that clients should see instead? Maybe a button that says "Continue with invoice generation" so that they can waste more of their time?

Let's return to the definition of an invoice:

a document that shows a list of goods or services and the prices to be paid for them

That seems pretty reasonable to me. The specific terms of payment, such as whether client has a responsibility to pay or if nonpayment simply will lead to service termination, is entirely subject to the terms of service established between the two parties involved. Your argument stems from a misconception that the term "invoice" always implies a legal obligation to pay. As @rds100 mentioned, "a pro forma invoice is a document that states a commitment from the seller to provide specified goods to the buyer at specific prices"; the fact that the invoice displayed in WHMCS is a pro forma invoice is made clear by the terms of service.

Thanked by 1telephone
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: That's what I'm SAYING!!! I'm saying that's what should of been done...... Open some type of communication between the client and the provider before the invoice is sent. What you're doing is exactly what I'm arguing for and I agree with what you just said and think that is the appropriate way of handling suspended VPS's.

You're just twisting people's statements to fit with your idiotic goals (actually, not even sure what that goal is; maybe to annoy everyone so that they leave LET? or maybe so that we finally get the ignore user functionality). When a service is suspended, WHMCS sends a suspension notification with the reason specified on the suspension operation; are you saying you didn't receive such a notification from ChicagoVPS? Obviously an invoice would still be sent at the appropriate number of days before the billing due date, regardless of the suspension status.

Dillybob said: This specific host did not do that, and that's bad business practice. Also, please stop with the ad-hominen attacks, it's getting really annoying. I'm not butt hurt with anything, just how some people in this thread are trying to defend their bad business practices and are blinded by their own arrogance.

Why is it bad business practice? Are they stealing your money or not delivering the good paid for subject to terms of service? Has anyone who hasn't abused their service complained about this? Do you think that providers care about the fact that someone who violated the terms of service is annoyed that an invoice is generated?

edited June 2015

Edit: 1 Sec

Also you've completely changed your argument since the beginning of the thread, so it's not clear at all what you're arguing for or agree with. After all you were talking about invoices for suspended services, and now you're saying invoices shouldn't be generated at all until XYZ (still not clear what XYZ is).

edited June 2015

@perennate said:
    Also you've completely changed your argument since the beginning of the thread, so it's not clear at all what you're arguing for or agree with. After all you were talking about invoices for suspended services, and now you're saying invoices shouldn't be generated at all until XYZ (still not clear what XYZ is).

No. You are not putting words in my mouth. I said that clients need to be notified or atleast be on neutral grounds between the provider and the client before an invoice is generated. I still hold firm to that and never changed position that throughout this thread.

• zedzed Member

this guy, lol. will you be making a video denouncing the practices of cvps next?

• @Dillybob said:
    Edit: WHMCS worst of the billing industry video will be made about this if I can gather proof that the system does send automated invoices on suspended vps's. I need screenshots from a provider of the setting if it's optional/etc. Please pm me, thanks.

Wow, you've just outdone the summer hosts this year. This year will forever be known as the summer of drama. #LowEndDrama.

This discussion has been closed.