Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostress, LLC has acquired GreenValueHost v2 Clients and domain. - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostress, LLC has acquired GreenValueHost v2 Clients and domain.

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Dillybob said: You are drama-induced, flaming turd.

Indeed, that's me. But don't you worry, despite me being a drama induced, flaming turd, your secret is safe with me. I will wait until others figure it out.

• Lee said: Indeed, that's me. But don't you worry, despite me being a drama induced, flaming turd, your secret is safe with me. I will wait until others figure it out.

LOL. What's my secret?

• wychwych Member

@tdale the reason a number of us care is that data is meant to have been deleted long ago for some of us.

• tdaletdale Member

@wych I can't help that previous owners didn't properly take care of that. When my update email blast goes out you won't get it because simply I know I physicallly removed you myself.

That goes for anyone else. I'm not fighting anyone wanting your information deleted. I will actually do it. The only thing I can do is apologize it wasn't done by the previous owners and assure you its done when you request it with me.

I personally handle those types of tickets.

Thanked by 1wych
  • joepie91 said: I asked @tdale on IRC

Which channel? Sounds like fun.

• @Droidzone said:
    Which channel? Sounds like fun.

Maybe #lowendbox at freenode.

• PwnerPwner Member

It's honestly insane at how quick this whole scenario escalated into the shitstorm it's become. This thread has practically turned into a war zone. I feel like taking a brief moment to add some humor to this thread.

Keyboard Warriors, assemble!

• tdaletdale Member

@pwner that's great love the pic!

• SpiritSpirit Member

btw. wouldn't be potential move from gvh to cvps (like some insinuate here) actually upgrade of this crappy service many of you actually had guts to pay for?

/couldn't resist :P

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Spirit said:
    btw. wouldn't be potential move from gvh to cvps (like some insinuate here) actually upgrade of this crappy service many of you actually had guts to pay for?

/couldn't resist :P

I don't see how switching from McDonald's to Burger King should improve the level of good nutrition. ;-)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

Amitz said: I don't see how switching from McDonald's to Burger King should improve the level of good nutrition. ;-)

Matter of taste and personal experience ;-)

Thanked by 1tdale
  • joepie91 said: you can ensure that the customer is the customer by looking at the email address they sent from.

You know very well you can not. Emails can easily be forged. Additionally any account having financial transactions can not be legally deleted before a lenghty amoung of time (many years, at least 3 in many countries).

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

hostingwizard_net said: You know very well you can not. Emails can easily be forged. Additionally any account having financial transactions can not be legally deleted before a lenghty amoung of time (many years, at least 3 in many countries).

Yeah totally not obvious when DKIM and SPF check fail.

Oneprovider deleted my account instantly when I asked.

• rokokrokok Member

Feel bad for all clients, they must be very stress lately, now head to hoSTRESS.net

• rds100rds100 Member

It depends by country and regulations. For instance we can't delete accounts for 10 years after the last transaction - for tax and accounting reasons.

• rds100 said: It depends by country and regulations. For instance we can't delete accounts for 10 years after the last transaction - for tax and accounting reasons.

But if no transaction has taken place, the account can be deleted.

Also, as you said, it depends on the country. Check out France's laws.

• wychwych Member

Traffic said: But if no transaction has taken place, the account can be deleted.

Correct.

• rds100rds100 Member

Traffic said: But if no transaction has taken place, the account can be deleted.

Of course. If there were no transactions from this user his details can be deleted.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

hostingwizard_net said: You know very well you can not. Emails can easily be forged.

Bullshit. This is what SPF and DKIM headers are for. And if either of those fail (due to e-mail misconfiguration or whatever), you send a single confirmation e-mail - you can't receive e-mail on a spoofed address, after all.

hostingwizard_net said: Additionally any account having financial transactions can not be legally deleted before a lenghty amoung of time (many years, at least 3 in many countries).

Different problem, different set of information to be kept in most jurisdictions. The fact that accounts are being deleted here makes this whole point moot anyway. It's purely about the approach to it.

Thanked by 1wych
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Customers with closed account cannot login to open a ticket, as a host you can however include closed accounts in any bulk emailing.

Thanked by 3wych joepie91 Pwner
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

A host (in the UK anyway) can legally refuse to delete data if it is required for financial records, they cannot however refuse to take it offline.

Example: I can change your account for a numbered account removing all address details and print off all actual details and financial records and simply reference the hard copy to the numbered account.

I can also insist on this request in writing and make a charge of no more than £10 for doing this.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • I also received GVH/TacVPS email in spam, I had an account with GVH but didn't order any services. Should I submit ticket to remove it?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

TheKiller said: I also received GVH/TacVPS email in spam, I had an account with GVH but didn't order any services. Should I submit ticket to remove it?

Just block their emails -- even if they remove your account, your personal information is already undoubtedly copied to 1000 other places.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@rds100 said:
    It depends by country and regulations. For instance we can't delete accounts for 10 years after the last transaction - for tax and accounting reasons.

what legally happens if you still delete accounts and ignore the tax and accounting reasons?

and also, what if your server that is hosting all those accounts gets hacked and all accounts get deleted? or hardware failure causing loss of data? will you still be hold accountable for that?

• BruceBruce Member

@Mark_R said:

YES

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@Bruce said:
    YES

Yes what?

• BruceBruce Member

@Mark_R said:
    Yes what?

will you still be hold accountable for that? YES

has anyone been convicted of deleting info? no idea. but stuff like money laundering and other criminal activity is then questioned. they will wonder why it was deleted, and usually won't believe the "I got hacked" excuse. about as believable as "dog ate homework", even if it's true

if you admit to getting hacked, then you're also responsible for data protection breaches too, so might not be the best defence.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@Bruce said:
    if you admit to getting hacked, then you're also responsible for data protection breaches too, so might not be the best defence.

What about Hardware failure? it always can happen.. it should be a valid reason for not being able to provide accounting information?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Mark_R said: it should be a valid reason for not being able to provide accounting information?

No. You should have backups.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@joepie91 said:
    No. You should have backups.

I'm pretty confident that the legal organization that checks the accounting information has no rights to force/require hosting service providers to setup a backup/redundancy system at their own cost just to prevent loss of accounting information. So in other words, hardware failure is still legally an option for not providing accounting details as i see it.