Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ClamHost bad experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ClamHost bad experience

ValdikSSValdikSS Member
edited May 2015 in Reviews

I've had bad experience with ClamHost VPS and it's support.

I bought the VPS from them because I needed beginner-level DDoS mitigation for one person with ADSL connection. Somebody DDoS him and since his modem is not behind NAT, his link got down immediately even with 30 mbit/s attack.

The first week went fine, but then their old OpenVZ VPS, which wasn't properly terminated, hijacked my IP address. That's not only their issue since I experienced this issue with another providers too. Although it was quickly fixed, the support insist that it's impossible to hijack IP with their configuration and asked me to stop insulting their experience (literally).

We don't use SolusVM and as I said it's impossible for someone to Hijack your VPS IP. Please stop insulting my 10 years experience in the Hosting Industry. as I know what I'm doing.

Well, the problem solved quickly so that's not really a problem. One week later the server got reinstalled. Now I had unbootable CentOS. I cannot access it since it wasn't reinstalled properly, cannot access management panel either since they sent me old URL in their mail, VNC wasn't working at all (I've tried HTML5 client and tigervnc), checked their twitter and status page, nothing there, so I contacted support once more. At first they said that my VPS is kernel panicking and I should handle it myself, I've asked for VNC access since it wasn't working, they gave me working management URL and I managed to connect via VNC. All I saw was CentOS with cannot mount root partition. I clearly said multiple times that I didn't install CentOS and this VPS was running Debian the day before the issue. All they did is issued reinstall once more, and after I said that I could reinstall it myself and I just want to know why did this happen, they said they replaced Debian image with the new one and have no idea why my VPS got reinstalled.

I hope this is only me who experienced this problems, but tech support could react better.

Ticket ID 113966.

Comments

• tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited May 2015

React better in what way?

You was insulting our intelegence and you came across as rude in some of your reaponses. And regarding us down due to a 30Mbps flood is ridiculous we have been under a 6Gbit flood right now for the last 7 days without any problem.

Also as stated your vps was never reimaged we even told Virtualizor about it but you was accusing us of reloading your vps yet a log was showing you that it had not been reloaded neither did the log files show anything. As Virtualizor support asked us to check additional logs.

As explained to you we dont use SolusVM we have not used it for way over a month. The VPS Panel is working fine. As we told you we dont have to mass announce the URL being changed as its not a good idea to giveout The URL via a announcement. And neither do we have anyone else complain apart from you they just asked us for the new URL it is only that currently as we only have 1 AlphaSSL once that is corrected it will go back to the same white labled url that Is was for the past 2 years.

Also you never brought that to our attention regarding the DDoS Attack you had a issue with so how can you moan about that when a ticket was never submitted.

• clamhost said: You was insulting our intelegence and this us going down due to a 30Mbps flood is ridiculous we are under a 6Gbit flood right now for the last 7 days without any problem.

Please read carefully what's written here. Your links are perfectly fine, I didn't say a word about it. I said that the person's ADSL link gets down from 30 Mbit/s attack, that's why I was looking for the provider with basic anti-DDoS protection to set up VPN for said person.

clamhost said: Also the OP has a fraud record listing

No I'm not. I always use public VPN.

edited May 2015

@ValdikSS said:

There is nothing wrong with our DDoS Mitigation. Its perfectly capable of mitigating attacks as snall as a couple of Mbps.

Filtering is done via redirection upon a DDoS Attack occuring the IP is redirected to for filtering through the arbor devices. It is done like this to prevent false postitives. And do take note that the DDoS Filtering is in beta and has been for the past 2 months now.

We have had clients who have issues with L4 Attacks that some providers like Staminus and OVH are not able to mitigate.

So dont make assumptions without contacting us first. For assistance as floods can be complex and require a Network Engineer look at it.

• ValdikSSValdikSS Member
    edited May 2015

clamhost said: So dont make assumptions without contacting us first.

Please read carefully my last post again. Your links are perfectly fine, they are capable of mitigating attacks. That was an ADSL link which got DoSed. I had no problems with your links at all.

edited May 2015

it's impossible to hijack IP with their configuration and asked me to stop insulting their experience (literally)

It Is impossible for somone to Hijack your IP the only reason it happened is because of Human error and its not something we have had a issue with before. No one can allocate another VPS IP as it is allocated via dhcp and restricted via the MAC Address.

This has been explained to you multiple times and the OS being reloaded has nothing to do with us what so ever you was booted out after you started us accusing us of wiping your vps. And we had told you we had not reinstalled it and provided you with a log.

Good luck with your high expectations and your next provider.

I wont be commenting any further to this.

• clamhost said: and provided you with a log.

where was no mentions that I did it either.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited May 2015

@ValdikSS To be honest, I am surprised anyone on this forum even purchases from this group after the way they have treated people in this community in the past when similar concerns have been brought up. In fact, they publicly stated they didn't need to sell here on LET at all, as they are, "too good for this community":

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/742237/#Comment_742237
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/710729/#Comment_710729

clamhost said: I'm sorry to inform you we do not need the LET Community to advertise we sell our products at $10 per 1GB and get enough sales thanks. Plus we been running perfectly for over a year without even involving our company in this community.

So really, I would just find a provider that's better than these guys that doesn't act like twats to people in public when they have an issue. This whole thread so far sounds more like someone butt hurt than someone interested in helping you... that alone should be enough of a light bulb in your head to tell you to find somewhere better to go where as a customer you will be respected instead of treated like a dog.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• PremiumNPremiumN Member
    edited May 2015

My spider sense is tingling whenever i think about signing up with Clamhost. Something didnt seem right with them. I might give them a shot one day, but not any time soon.

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
    edited May 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:
    ValdikSS To be honest, I am surprised anyone on this forum even purchases from this group after the way they have treated people in this community in the past when similar concerns have been brought up. In fact, they publicly stated they didn't need to sell here on LET at all, as they are, "too good for this community":

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/742237/#Comment_742237
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/710729/#Comment_710729

Cheers!

If you say so :)

Do not care about your opinion wont be loosing any sleep tonight :)

• @clamhost

To quote my self previously, as it seems history has already started to repeat:

I got news for you, the world is a harsh place and if you failed to deal with this issue in a professional and mature way, I can't wait until this happens to you again, history repeats its self for those who do not learn from their past. Here in lies the exact reason I would never do business with you. If you can not even understand how your actions here have tarnished your company name and brand, then well, you don't deserve any sympathy.

Please keep up the good work of making your self look like an ass. It makes me sleep even better at night to know you will continue to reap the benefits of your own ignorance in ten fold.

Cheers!

edited May 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:
    clamhost

To quote my self previously, as it seems history has already started to repeat:

Cheers!

Again your opinion is not valued by us. And neither do we care about the opinion anyone has of us or the opinion you have.

Our aim is to keep our services up and running and to try to keep our reasonable clients happy. And we do that fine Thank You.

edited May 2015

@ValdikSS Starting to see what I mean? Again, not sure why anyone would do business with these guys. There are so many better hosts out there.

P.S. @Clamhost you obviously know nothing about marketing, because again you will have this thread archived in Google and now anyone who looks up your company will come right here. Thanks for helping make this even easier.

Cheers!

edited May 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:
    ValdikSS Starting to see what I mean? Again, not sure why anyone would do business with these guys. There are so many better hosts out there.

Cheers!

Again your bias opinion is not valued. You have stated that you dont wish to use our service among with other people. That is fine as I said it does not bother us. So dont use our service but your opinion is bias it is as simple as that.

Again as stated previously we are at hard work keeping our reasonable clients happy. I detect a bit of jealousy from you also sir.

• @clamhost said:
    You was insulting our intelegence

Thanked by 2tomsfarm netomx
    edited May 2015

Drama/Thread = Free Promotion.

Thank you to everyone who is getting involved

• Jealousy of what, your horrible communications skills and business practices?

The bias of my opinion is your own words, so I guess you do not value your own words?

Do you even read your own responses and understand what you are saying and how you sound?

Also, what is a 'reasonable' client in your view... because the OP of this thread seems pretty reasonable to me. He just wanted a service that works and you couldn't even provide that, thus why he opened this thread?

I mean seriously, what do you think you gain from your continue comments in the thread? If you were a smart person you would stop while your ahead, but doesn't seem you understand that concept... so I bet you post another ignorant statement again right after my post. As such, this will be my final response in this thread as you just make it way to easy to prove your are not a very smart person and I have grown bored already.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2alexvolk vpsGOD
    edited May 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Jealousy of what, your horrible communications skills and business practices?

The bias of my opinion is your own words, so I guess you do not value your own words?

Do you even read your own responses and understand what you are saying and how you sound?

Also, what is a 'reasonable' client in your view... because the OP of this thread seems pretty reasonable to me. He just wanted a service that works and you couldn't even provide that, thus why he opened this thread?

I mean seriously, what do you think you gain from your continue comments in the thread? If you were a smart person you would stop while your ahead, but doesn't seem you understand that concept... so I bet you post another ignorant statement again right after my post. As such, this will be my final response in this thread as you just make it way to easy to prove your are not a very smart person and I have grown bored already.

Cheers!

The clients issue was fixed. I dont see what the problem is?

His problem was fixed within 2 hours of submitting the ticket and we did respond to him we could of had him waiting for days then that would be something to complain about.

He was told to find a new provider at his expiry date. Did not work out for him cannot make 100% of customers happy but we do try. We are only human.

And my grammar you are going to comment on that considering the fact I am on a mobile device right now..

• TheLinuxBug said: There are so many better hosts out there.

This so much. I do not understand why anyone would buy anything from someone behaving like @clamhost when there are so many hosts out there that are obviously more professional.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    This so much. I do not understand why anyone would buy anything from someone behaving like clamhost when there are so many hosts out there that are obviously more professional.

If someone makes a bad review on you, out of the blue, are you not allowed to be a little hurt? This business is something all the current staff at ClamHost have invested time and cash for over two years now. This is akin to listening to someone say your kid is a demon for borrowing a pencil then losing it for a few hours then returning it.

The OP's issue was resolved in a few hours, yet he blamed us on a Centos reinstall.

He then decides to make a thread on here, so further hurt us.

So yes I am a terrible person and ClamHost is completely 100% unprofessional since we're not pushovers that will take slander quietly.

-Thomas

• SnickertasticSnickertastic Member
    edited May 2015

ValdikSS said: access it since it wasn't reinstalled properly, cannot access management panel either since they sent me old URL in their mail, VNC wasn't working at all (I've tried HTML5 client and tigervnc), checked their twitter and status page, nothing there, so I contacted support once more. At first they said that my VPS is kernel panicking and I should handle it myself, I've asked for VNC access since it wasn't working, they gave me working management URL and I managed to connect via VNC. All I saw was CentOS with cannot mount root partition. I clearly said multiple times that I didn't install CentOS and this VPS was running Debian the day before the issue. All they did is issued reinstall once more, and after I said that I could reinstall it myself and I just want to know why did this happen, they said they replaced Debian image with the new one and have no idea why my VPS got reinstalled.

How many vps have you bought that were openvz?

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    This so much. I do not understand why anyone would buy anything from someone behaving like clamhost when there are so many hosts out there that are obviously more professional.

What business do you own ? Is there book on how company should behave ?

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Jealousy of what, your horrible communications skills and business practices?

Cheers!

@TheLinuxbug Wow you got 16 years in the industry without any reviews on your work here and I doubt anywhere else. so you really can't speak anything on here about " horrible communications skills and business practices" and I find it ironic you have no url to your site or your reviews.

As you said ValdikSS it was solve quickly and you still had to come here and post about it how something may have not been done right why don't you get in to the hosting business then?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited May 2015

@clamhost said:
    Again your opinion is not valued by us. And neither do we care about the opinion anyone has of us or the opinion you have.

Great! Because nobody else cares about your opinion, and your supernatural ability to give people/potential customers a free kick in a face.

@clamhost 16 experience @ WHOIS:

Sure looks like '16' years in business to me :/ (as in including your two years at ClamHost; what did you do for experience for the other 14 years?)

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
    edited May 2015

@Snickertastic

Did you hurt your brain trying to come up with something intelligent to say?

I am not even sure what your point was above at all.

All I know is that I referenced everything I wrote about here with past posts by the host them self and the fact they have problems with respecting people in this community and their customers. I have worked in IT for a long time, I don't run a host so I am not sure how 'reviews of my work' are relevant to this conversation. I have dealt with MANY hosts.. far more than you I would bet.. hundreds, in fact. I regularly purchase hosting from a large portion of these small hosts just to help them get a start. None of them have or will treat me like @clamhost treats their customers, for the simple reason the first time I was responded to as he has in this thread, I would no longer be their customer. If you are able to read English, you should be able to follow the links I supplied and read the other threads where he has proven that he has poor communication and business skills.

Most profoundly would be this thread: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/710729/

Here he shows he has no grasp of how to run a real business and cries about issues instead of taking charge and solving them. His communication skills are so poor he couldn't even keep a cogent ticket relationship with his host, and I don't blame them. If someone wrote tickets to me and acted like @clamhost did in those threads I would likely react the same way. No one likes to be insulted and treated like dirt, especially customers and business partners. To be honest, I don't even think Clamhost realizes he how he sounds, but also fails to regard other peoples comments and advice in changing his direction and actions. When people started trying to help he would just tell them they were wrong or insult them, I am not sure how this shows good business and communication skills either.

I am not sure what you found ironic, as nothing you said applied to any of my responses here, other than your personal thought that I must provide you my CV to be able to make comments and opinions about a poorly run host. I am very knowledgeable on a lot of subjects actually, just because I don't spam them in my signature doesn't make that any less true.

Ohh, and good job getting me to respond again to this thread. I guess I took the bait, however, I have no idea what your point really was as it still eludes me to this moment, other than trying to insult me for not posting my CV into the conversation. To which I must say, U WAT M8?

P.S. Please stop changing your posts after I post, that makes you look even dumber as you keep trying to change your posts to sound better around mine. It is pretty sad you feel you must do that.

Cheers!

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Sure looks like '16' years in business to me :/

When have I ever claimed 16 years of business? I said 2 years lol.

Somebody better not edit to make themselves seem smarter :D.

• Try now. I clarified it for you

edited May 2015

@FlamesRunner said:
    Try now. I clarified it for you

I believe your confusing me with my business partner Dave.

I am Thomas. Been in this industry for about 2 years. Before that I worked as a PC Refresh Tech.

• @FlamesRunner

I believe the confusion here was they were trying to mock my signature where I state, "16+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting and Administration". This is what he was referring to, not how many year Clamhost has been in business. Just wanted to clarify that for you as it was also confusing to me a little as what he said first made no sense.

Cheers!

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Try now. I clarified it for you
    @TheLinuxBug said:
    FlamesRunner

I believe the confusion here was they were trying to mock my signature where I state, "16+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting and Administration". This is what he was referring to, not how many year Clamhost has been in business. Just wanted to clarify that for you as it was also confusing to me a little as what he said first made no sense.

Cheers!

You could be in the industry for 30 years. I wouldn't care.

Our service is stable and has good uptime especially for what our services are meant for.

I don't quite understand where your going with this, but I assume nowhere?

From my eyes your just trying to state your superiority to me, which I assume is neat?

All in all good luck with whatever your doing.

edited May 2015

@Clamhost

What? I wasn't even talking to you. Are you sure you are able to understand English?

Your buddy @Snickertastic threw a tantrum for you and made some statement about my signature. FlamesRunner misunderstood this to mean you were in business 16 years. I simply clarified this for him as you were just continuing to be an asshole to him for no reason.

If your gonna try and say something smart, at least be sure your replying to someone actually talking to you.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Clamhost

What? I wasn't even talking to you. Are you sure you are able to understand English?

Your buddy Snickertastic threw a tantrum for you and made some statement about my signature. FlamesRunner misunderstood this to mean you were in business 16 years. I simply clarified this for him as you were just continuing to be an asshole to him for no reason.

If your gonna try and say something smart, at least be sure your replying to someone talking to you.

Cheers!

That looks like you tagging me, thus directly your responses to me.

Funny, since you looked at my whois info your racially profiling me as being unable to understand English. Your awesome bro! Please preach more of your racism and unneeded hate here.

• Again, since you seem to fail to understand what is going on in this thread and now linked it to racism in some way, FlamesRunner misunderstood that post by the other guy to mean you had been in business for 16 years. He then was being critical of how long your domain was registered because he thought you were in business for 16 years. This obviously is not the case, but since you didn't even understand what was going on you just continued to call the guy stupid. I simply posted to clarify that for him and I am actually very curious now if you do have a good understanding of the language as you continue to make the same mistakes when reading it. If not, you need to go through this whole thread again and re-read for comprehension, because you obviously didn't your first time through.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.