Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3-1230 @ $27.95/mo - Quadix<br>8 GB ECC RAM | 1TB Disk | 1 Gbps Port | 3 x IPv4 | Dedicated IPMI - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E3-1230 @ $27.95/mo - Quadix<br>8 GB ECC RAM | 1TB Disk | 1 Gbps Port | 3 x IPv4 | Dedicated IPMI

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

@4n0nx said:
    but.. 24/7 support?

Are you asking if quadix offers 24/7 support? I'm not sure as I dont have service with quadix but for sure volume drive offers support on regular business hours even thought it does say 24/7 support.. at least that was my experience.

• Colocation is quite the funs.

Every time I walk into the DC, there is someone there doing something. As of late i am walking in there at all hours of the day because I got some need clients. It is always fun to chat up with Dom.

The only down times I ever noticed is when someone pisses someone off and they start nuking with 40-50gb attacks. That is when I start hearing some fowl language as they start null routing people.

But yes. They have no middle man so costs are much lower. Considering the cost of living of the area, you can pay staff at a lower rate and they still make a good buck. Also they have maid quite a few changes with the network so it has far more capacity then it did a year ago. It is nice to walk in and see them adding more racks and more hardware.

They are going for the best bang for the buck. The servers they pick reflect that. Start doing the hard math and the X5650s they have are very nice, just heat and power is a concern.

Considering they give me a 10gb drop right of the router they got and control everything for my stuff, I do not see any issues.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

earl said: I think Quadix other deal is still better..

"Dual Intel Xeon L5630 16 Core Processors"

not really. and it's 8 cores (the processors are quad core each)

http://ark.intel.com/products/47927/Intel-Xeon-Processor-L5630-12M-Cache-2_13-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

Sady said: pre># of Threads 8

<

pre>
    It's HyperThreading mate.

Correct, but these are software threads not actual hardware cores. (they have 4 each) HT should not be treated as cores. even intel does not call them cores in the same way. this is also why intel does not call the likes of i7 4790k an 8 core.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

"Dual Intel Xeon L5630 16 Core Processors"
    not really. and it's 8 cores (the processors are quad core each)

It was actually a C/P from Quadix.co, but I wouldn't get too hung up over that.. personally I think it's the passmark ratings that matters more. No point in basing your purchase on just how many cores a CPU has cause an E3-1230, X3440, L5630 all have the same 4 cores 8 threads but you know performance wise they are not the same..

• SadySady Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    Correct, but these are software threads not actual hardware cores. (they have 4 each) HT should not be treated as cores. even intel does not call them cores in the same way. this is also why intel does not call the likes of i7 4790k an 8 core.

Most likely they mentioned it 16 because It shows 16 on linux.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

earl said: personally I think it's the passmark ratings that matters more

i prefer to see actual benchmarks from various sources but geekbench provides a good source on how good the performance is per core or as a whole (imo anything above 2700 on geekbench per core should provide good performance, haswell tends to score 3500+. in most cases E3 wins on Single core and E5 probably double or triple on multi core.

the L5630 is also very old (you can get it for less than $20 on ebay.

i tried running a game server on the L56 and i was constantly having CPU overload problems

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Sady said: Most likely they mentioned it 16 because It shows 16 on linux.

yes it's easy to get it confusing, but misleading people is wrong (i.e its okay for some random guy to do it but not the provider)

• andrewnandrewn Member

so anybody ordered this server and got this delivered already?

• earlearl Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    the L5630 is also very old (you can get it for less than $20 on ebay.

Well I just mentioned passmark cause it seems to be what people use here.. Also it's only about a year difference between the L5630(Q1'10) vs E3-1230 (Q2'11) either way they're both EOL.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

earl said: either way they're both EOL.

but. but the E3 still performs well either way. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=E3-1230

• earlearl Member

@TarZZ92 said:

but. but the E3 still performs well either way.

I never said the E3 doesn't perform well.. did I? you mentioned the L5630 is old and I'm just letting you know the E3 is not any newer since they're both EOL. And for what it's worth Dual L5630 is still a very capable CPU..

TarZZ92 said: yes it's easy to get it confusing, but misleading people is wrong (i.e its okay for some random guy to do it but not the provider)

This is also not true.. just cause you implied it came with 16 physical cores does not mean the AD was misleading.. no where did it specify that it was 16 physical or virtual cores.. You came to that conclusion all your own.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

earl said: . just cause you implied it came with 16 physical cores does not mean the AD was misleading.. no where did it specify that it was 16 physical or virtual cores.. You came to that conclusion all your own.

i didnt say it had 16 cores at all, you are getting confused again. i said it had 8 ^
    you yourself said the following (knowing you where telling lies)

I think Quadix other deal is still better..

Dual Intel Xeon L5630 16 Core Processors

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@andrewn said:
    so anybody ordered this server and got this delivered already?

Yep I did. Here's a benchmark:

root@nye3:~# bash bench.sh 
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7975 MB
    Total amount of swap : 8180 MB
    System uptime :   1 day, 7:31,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 41.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 22.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.82MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 8.46MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.34MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.26MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 598KB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 835KB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 53.1MB/s 
    I/O speed :  95.2 MB/s

• earlearl Member

TarZZ92 said: i didnt say it had 16 cores at all, you are getting confused again. i said it had 8 ^ you yourself said the following (knowing you where telling lies)

You gotta stop sniffing glue dude!! it's really effecting your comprehension!

TarZZ92 said: Correct, but these are software threads not actual hardware cores. (they have 4 each) HT should not be treated as cores. even intel does not call them cores in the same way. this is also why intel does not call the likes of i7 4790k an 8 core.

So this is about calling HT a "software thread" instead of a core? As somebody else here mentioned.. Linux/Windows don't seem to have a distinction between Physical cores vs HT.. even Wikipedia made reference to HT as a virtual or logical core.

At last I checked I have not seen a provider who offers a physical core vs a "software thread" as an option. Most just sell it as vcore or HT core.. so it's still acceptable to reference HT as a core instead of a "software thread"

Not sure how you can imply the AD was misleading?

• gurugrvgurugrv Member

An out of line question...
    How does the Quadix dual X5650 server compare to the fancy recent E3-12XX V1/2/3 ones ?

• FredQcFredQc Member

@gurugrv said:
    An out of line question...
    How does the Quadix dual X5650 server compare to the fancy recent E3-12XX V1/2/3 ones ?

If you benchmark all the Dual X5650 cores, sure they surpasses the E3s. But one core at a time the E3s are better. Although the Dual X5650 is a great CPU with TurboBoost at 3 Ghz. It's nice for VPS hosting...

• @MarkTurner Where can I find these off-lease, pennies on the dollar, container load full?

• @Onrahost - People usually spam me with them. There was one about a week ago, 5 x 40' containers of X5650. Total of 10,000 systems for $200/unit. There was a clearance from an old Facebook datacentre in February of E5-2620, about 20,000 units. There are some big volumes available.

But its batch load at a time, so if they have 10,000 units, you order 10,000 units. PM me your email and I'll forward you some next time they come in.

• @MarkTurner please pm me those too please.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

earl said: At last I checked I have not seen a provider who offers a physical core vs a "software thread" as an option. Most just sell it as vcore or HT core.. so it's still acceptable to reference HT as a core instead of a "software thread"

Not sure how you can imply the AD was misleading?

without getting into stupid technical details it's a quad core CPU that's it. and anyone who sells it as anything else is a liar (this covers you as you advertised the VD server)

• earlearl Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    without getting into stupid technical details it's a quad core CPU that's it. and anyone who sells it as anything else is a liar (this covers you as you advertised the VD server)

I'm sure everyone here who's read your replies can truly feel my pain as your just arguing for the sake of arguing and has no bearing in real life.. As much as I'd like to keep you entertained which could be indefinite as you seem to have an issue with comprehension, I'll have to say the fun stops here..

If it makes you feel better to think that were all liars cause we use the term core for HT then so be it.. hopefully it brightens your life all that much more.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Onrahost - People usually spam me with them. There was one about a week ago, 5 x 40' containers of X5650. Total of 10,000 systems for $200/unit. There was a clearance from an old Facebook datacentre in February of E5-2620, about 20,000 units. There are some big volumes available.

But its batch load at a time, so if they have 10,000 units, you order 10,000 units. PM me your email and I'll forward you some next time they come in.

That's pretty cool. Do you mean $200 per shipping container or $200 per server. I mean thing is if you guys can get these systems why don't you offer them? I bet Delimiter would make a killing round here... Personally I'd love a server in the UK with dual X5650 or E5-2620 so I'd be tempted on one of these colo'd in UK but my biggest issue is the cost of Colocation due to UK electric being much more expensive and with remote hands fee if something were to fail I don't know if it would be financially viable for a hobbyist, Perhaps Mark could shed some light on that as he has connections and may have a better idea of the cost per month? If you don't mind sharing please ;)

The two biggest issues with Quadix so far is that they are using kingston SSDs which fail frequently and their past history... So I am still not that worried about purchasing a system from them simply because as Mark said, these systems are cheap to buy anyway they shouldn't need a leasing company and if what has been publicly stated is 100% correct no company would go near them... My only other bit of info I need is how stable is their network? Does it go down once every year or so or is it frequently per month...

• 72 business hours from my purchase. Not a word from quad.ix. Funny how VD has not changed or smartened up one bit.

• @doughnet said:
    72 business hours from my purchase. Not a word from quad.ix. Funny how VD has not changed or smartened up one bit.

Buys from company who is running very good deals the last few days, acts surprised when has to wait in line when when they get order swamped.

• earlearl Member

@doughnet said:
    72 business hours from my purchase. Not a word from quad.ix. Funny how VD has not changed or smartened up one bit.

Sorry to hear that.. Maybe contact Josh ? Possible cause you ordered with SSD its more like a custom order so it may take longer but it does say approximately 48 Hrs for setup time so I'm sure your entitled to a refund should you wish to do so.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • billyriantonobillyriantono Member, Host Rep

when i will try it has been sold out :facepalm:

• edited May 2015

@doughnet said:

You should have read quadix threads before. They take a week to deploy.
    I love their service though. It suits my business perfectly.

Thanked by 1earl
  • ReeRee Member

@earl said:
    I'm sure everyone here who's read your replies can truly feel my pain as your just arguing for the sake of arguing and has no bearing in real life..

I'd say both sides are arguing for the sake of arguing. You think one thing, he thinks another, you'd both have better luck trying to convert each other to a different religion :)

FWIW When I see a provider include virtual cores in the core count I mark that as a huge red X against them...to me it says either:

• They know the difference between a virtual core and a real core, and are hoping prospective clients don't and thus will pick them over a competitor based on the inflated number, which is shady.

• They don't know the difference between a virtual core and a real core, and I have to question their competency.

Of course if they explicitly state the core count includes virtual cores, I'm totally fine with that. ie "8 cores" and "16 cores with HT" are both perfectly fine to me, but "16 cores" is a big red X.