Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pics of your Servers.. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pics of your Servers..

Comments

• @earl - its a router for sure, but your DSL router has more power :) Just plug in power and run a rolled console cable from console to an RS232 on your computer. Load up some serial terminal emulator - 9600 8N1 and you should be up.

Thanked by 1earl
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited April 2015

@earl - LOL I haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. Last time I saw one of them I was working at BT. They used to give them away for Megastream (E1) services.

$243.88 OMG! Should be more like $10

• earlearl Member

After I renovated my house I can't find half of where anything is.. I need that silly console cable.

Thanks for the info Mark.

• @earl - Just make one - 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and so on.

• earlearl Member

@MarkTurner said:
    earl - LOL I haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. Last time I saw one of them I was working at BT. They used to give them away for Megastream (E1) services.

$243.88 OMG! Should be more like $10

I think I paid $5 for it or maybe it was free can't recall also came with a catalyst 2900. but the fan's too loud compared to a cheapo tplink..

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    earl - Just make one - 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and so on.

If you're saying it's slower than my dsl router than I'll probably not bother.. seems like a lot of work! :P

But you're saying it will function as a router on it's own right?

• @earl - its beyond slow. Its designed for 2 x T1/E1. With the right software it will also support Frame Relay, SMDS and chanelised E1/T1. It should be in a museum. Unless you have some form of protocol converter, you're not going to be doing much with it these days.

If you can get $200 on Ebay for it, I'd sell it!

Thanked by 1earl
  • @earl- to put it into context that router was about around the same time as Wellfleet and Synoptics were announcing their merger! T1/E1 was hot stuff then :)

• earlearl Member

MarkTurner said: If you can get $200 on Ebay for it, I'd sell it!

Probably take this route.. when motivation steps in.

• Thanked by 1earl
  • @Catalin said:
    Nice.. This is and good upgrade i supose.

Yes, upgrade in uptime.

• tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited April 2015

@ddosprotection said:
    clamhost, that's not much of a load on these, right?

Sorry don't understand what you are asking.

Based on what I think you was asking. there is a total of 7 VPS nodes in that part of the cabinet all sharing a Juniper EX3300. with a crappy old HP Switch for the Private Networking. Load does vary with each machine at 25-35% CPU Utilization at all times. with 11A of power usage.

Thanked by 1ddosprotection
  • In most parts of China, port 80 is blocked @ family broadbands :(

• I can only imagine the power consumption (and costs) of some of these. (Thats pretty much the reason I don't have a homeserver myself)

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

Really Like this.. too bad those mobile racks are so expensive.. even the no name made in China one's from ebay..

• mintmint Member

@XIAOSpider97 said:
    In most parts of China, port 80 is blocked @ family broadbands :(

Does it count with SRV?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@earl said:

Really Like this.. too bad those mobile racks are so expensive.. even the no name made in China one's from ebay..

How much does it cost? Made in China?

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

MrGeneral said: How much does it cost? Made in China?

It's basically a 3 x 5 bay mobile rack from supermicro in a computer case.. each rack is around $150-$200, so around $600 just the mobile rack alone maybe $150 for the case?

Probably made in China, I don't have one, so can't confirm.

There is a cheaper version from IcyDock for around $119

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Both of my wonderful boxes with Online.net!

• earlearl Member

@hawc

Was that not a prank for april fools? I'm not sure if they really took an actual pic of your server..

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

It was a prank. Not sure if they are actual pictures though. I think they are

• earlearl Member

Hmm.. just browsed over the first page and I notice some comments were deleted.. wondering if this was done by a mod? it was off topic anyways, but just curious.

• @earl said:
    hawc

Was that not a prank for april fools? I'm not sure if they really took an actual pic of your server..
    @hawc said:
    It was a prank. Not sure if they are actual pictures though. I think they are

No, they didn't take a pic of your actual server, I've got a HP server with them and when I got my picture it was of a Dell.

• @rmlhhd said:
    No, they didn't take a pic of your actual server, I've got a HP server with them and when I got my picture it was of a Dell.

Lol close enough :)

• My little home rack. Three hypervisors in a vSphere cluster + fileserver.

Also have this AMD machine in the attic running some radio stuff.

Banana Pi!

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@JahAGR said:
    My little home rack. Three hypervisors in a vSphere cluster + fileserver.

You've got a very nice setup..you host any websites on it?

appreciate the post thank you..

• earl said: You've got a very nice setup..you host any websites on it?

appreciate the post thank you..

One or two minor things behind a reverse proxy on a VPS but my internet is too slow to do anything useful. Mostly just for personal use

Thanked by 1earl
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@earl said:

Wow, looks really neat!

• BochiBochi Member
    edited April 2015

Let me throw in my little warrior: IGEL 4210 LX

It might have a weak chest in some situations, but given the local electricity rates and my requirements in a home server it does a pretty nice job! :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@Bochi said:
    Let me throw in my little warrior: IGEL 4210 LX
    It might have in some situations a weak chest, but given the local electricity rates and my requirements in a home server it does a pretty nice job! :)

Yeah, those thin clients are great.. they probably use less than $10/yr worth of electricity.

I have a few WYSE V30L,that I put in a hard drive and installed Debian.. Works pretty good. Unfortunate part is it's 32 bit processor and only takes 1 GB of RAM.

Here is what it looks like:

Anyone interested in messing around with a thin client, here is a good site.