Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pics of your Servers..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pics of your Servers..

earlearl Member

An old pic of my servers. It's a Dell PowerEdge 2950 and 2850. Pretty ancient stuff now.

If you have a picture of your server, specially a home server, be nice to see them.. Thanks.

Thanked by 1howardsl2

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

I use Very Poor Configuration Desktop PC.

• earlearl Member

@black

Probably more powerful than my PE2850 :p

• earlearl Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I use Very Poor Configuration Desktop PC.

well im guessing it comes in case.. Kimsufis don't even have that and still works quite well..

• earlearl Member

Also got a pogo plug. can't say I'm fond of the color! was gonna turn it to a server but never got around to it..

• cassacassa Member

I have an old HP DL380G5, but currently it's at school for a project.
    I also have a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Pogoplug (the $20 one)

• I only have a desktop and a laptop at home -.-

Thanked by 1Catalin
  • earlearl Member

@cassa

The DL380 G5 are still pretty nice I think, I like how you can put 8 drives in it..
    But I bet it's loud!!

I'm waiting for these to go off lease.. but probably won't be a while till they're affordable.

• cassacassa Member

@earl said:
    The DL380 G5 are still pretty nice I think, I like how you can put 8 drives in it..
    But I bet it's loud!!

Yep, they're still pretty nice. Bought it for 30 euro :P
    It is indeed pretty loud, that's why I'm not running it at home anymore.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@joodle said:
    I only have a desktop and a laptop at home -.-

Is internet in NL cheap?

I think I read somewhere that in NL people have data centers in their garages and offer hosting.. I can't remember where I read that.

• earl said: Is internet in NL cheap?

100/100 Unmetered for €42,50 a month ;)

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@cassa

I got mine pretty cheap too, but after upgrading everything it's not so cheap anymore.. should have just bought a better server to begin with.

@joodle

Wow! that's pretty good.. I get like 250 down but I don't think they offer residential internet with 100 up.

be fun to just host stuff from home.

• I have a Dell Inspiron 3542, DSL 8/1 Mbps, a desktop with C2D E8400 CPU, both works fine for my daily tasks.

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@TheKiller said:
    I have a Dell Inspiron 3542, DSL 8/1 Mbps, a desktop with C2D E8400 CPU, both works fine for my daily tasks.

Yup, I'm still using an E8400 on a Dell Optiplex..

I actually have a few Optiplex 755 even installs esxi just fine, compared to say a home build where you might get problems with the Ethernet drivers..

• @black - The antistatic bag is conductive, so it's not the best idea to run your rpi on it!

Thanked by 2black classy
  • sepeisepei Member

@joodle said:
    100/100 Unmetered for €42,50 a month ;)

In vienna you get 100 mbit synchron for 40€ so even cheaper as in NL.

I also got some servers at home but I'm to lazy to take pictures :D

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@sepei said:

appreciate the effort anyways.. i know how it feels. :p

i actually have a few more servers.. but they in the garage collecting dust.

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited April 2015

earl said: The DL380 G5 are still pretty nice I think, I like how you can put 8 drives in it.. But I bet it's loud!!

I have this sudden urge that I need this. Not sure why or what for but those four PSU's can sure take up all the plugs in the room. - Picture.

I do have a Dell Poweredge 1950 III at home however it's off due to the fact it makes so much noise when I don't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@HyperSpeed said:

>

yeah those vrtx looks like fun.. think they are quite enough to actually use at home. my proliant and poweredge are too loud i end up using my optiplex and thinkcentre instead. works quite well for what i need.

• BotoXBotoX Member

On the first one, next to ISPs DOCSIS 3.0 modem (bridged to OpenWRT router that's not in the picture) and an unmanaged gigabit switch is a Seagate Dockstar running Archlinux ARM.

Second picture shows an HP MicroServer that is now colocated.

And here's the other servers :p

• earlearl Member

@BotoX

Very nice, thank you.. I also have an HP server, think its the mediasmart but i never use it.. Has windows home server in it, cant say i like it too much.

• BotoXBotoX Member
    edited April 2015

@earl said:
    BotoX

Very nice, thank you.. I also have an HP server, think its the mediasmart but i never use it.. Has windows home server in it, cant say i like it too much.

I run Archlinux on mine with ZFS on Linux (4*2TB HDDs) and a 3TB drive in the CD-ROM bay.
    It does it's job as a fileserver and torrent machine, the CPU is indeed crap but it runs fine with linux, a lot of RAM helps when you use it as a fileserver.

This thing has been seeding over 16k torrents with transmission for a year, no problems at all, maxing my 100MBit uplink most of the time.

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@BotoX said:
    This thing has been seeding over 16k torrents with transmission for a year, no problems at all, maxing my 100MBit uplink most of the time.

I do like the micro servers, but they're too expensive. If I can find one for a good deal I would probably install xpenology on it.

my mediasmart comes with WHS, which i don't really care for.. it also does not have a vga port unless you buy an adapter on ebay.. so not really worth while.

• KupolKupol Member

These were smuggled by @BotoX to my country.

And here is the final setup.

Thanked by 1earl
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I have my main and my backup servers at home in these nice Chieftec BA-02B cases:

have a closet of sorts, so space was not a problem.
    Main is FX-8350 with 32GB of RAM and 9x2TB HDDs, backup is E-350 with 16GB and 4x2TB + 1x1.5TB.

Thanked by 3earl TheHackBox karjaj
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@Kupol

You guys really like your microservers :) looks like a nice setup not too busy.

rm_ said: Main is FX-8350 with 32GB of RAM and 9x2TB HDDs, backup is E-350 with 16GB and 4x2TB + 1x1.5TB.

Holy cow!! what you doing with 9x2TB!!

I do like the case since the HD slots is facing the side.. more convenient than facing the back.

• sepeisepei Member

@Kupol said:
    These were smuggled by BotoX to my country.

And here is the final setup.

Thx for free WIFI :)

@earl said:
    Kupol

You guys really like your microservers :) looks like a nice setup not too busy.

I do like the case since the HD slots is facing the side.. more convenient than facing the back.

Well I got also 19TB for my plex server backed up with Stablebit Drivepool.
    The half of the space is "lost" on 2 way replication. I do also some 5 way replication for very important data

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

Is it mainly movies? all I have is family pics and all together probably only 20 gb even my movie collection probably not more than 1TB.. 9TB is a lot of media

• earlearl Member

I wish these cases were cheap.. I'd stuff em with ssd's in RAID 0..

• @earl said:
    I wish these cases were cheap.. I'd stuff em with ssd's in RAID 0..

I have one, I paid 900 euro :)

Thanked by 1earl