Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pics of your Servers.. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pics of your Servers..

Comments

• earlearl Member

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    That 512GB is just for Google Chrome.

Internet explorer maybe..

• TheCTS said: Oh don't worry, we thought of that afterwards :)

I'm not sure where you are located but in EU/US there are certain guidelines for lifting this type of stuff. You can use those to bamboozle your employer into providing one ;)

• earlearl Member

MarkTurner said: You need to use a lift for these types of servers, don't try to lift it by hand. You'll just knacker your back.

Who needs a fork lift.. it comes with wheels!! just push it.. :P

• @earl Not if you're going to rack it :)

Thanked by 1TheCTS
  • earlearl Member

@Benjamin

Really like the blades, was gonna pick one up from craigslist till they mentioned you need a special plug..

• earlearl Member

@MarkTurner said:
    earl Not if you're going to rack it :)

Wonder how heavy the case would be if you remove all the blades, caddy, and PS..

I recalled when I purchased my servers and loaded them in the trunk of my car.. the car looked like a low rider!! the seller was gonna throw in a few more servers but had to decline cause didn't think the car can make it home, lol.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited April 2015

at 0.2€/kWh I felt like I am better off renting a (small) server. It's a shame that rented high end servers are so ridiculously overpriced. :(

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@4n0nx said:
    at 0.2€/kWh I felt like I am better off renting a (small) server. It's a shame that rented high end servers are so ridiculously overpriced. :(

If you are running the older GEN servers.. I think the newer ones are very efficient, power wise.

but yeah it's probably cheaper to rent as the initial cost of the server can be high.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Intel Atom Motherboard, 2-4 HDD's about 30-40Watt thats brings you to 5-7EUR per Month at 0.22EUR per kWh. You dont need these Overprices new stuff, build your own NAS with efficent cheap hardware.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Infinity580 said: Intel Atom Motherboard, 2-4 HDD's about 30-40Watt thats brings you to 5-7EUR per Month at 0.22EUR per kWh. You dont need these Overprices new stuff, build your own NAS with efficent cheap hardware.

I could get 2x kimsufis for the money I spend on electricity and hardware lol :D

• Benjamin said: Alright now it's my turn :) HP Blade Gen8 BL460 512GB Ram :)

Love blades, just a shame they draw so much power and the whole thing costs a fortune! Been lucky enough to have some at work, 256GB RAM is no match to your 512GB =[

• @Catalin said:
    You've sent them to Simpliq? :)

We no longer use simpliq since February.
    We now have our servers colocated in Bucharest.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Try to get a 2x K1 with 2TB for 10EUR monthly.

If you need big storage, build your own NAS. It takes ages to get a KS.

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@Infinity580 said:
    Intel Atom Motherboard, 2-4 HDD's about 30-40Watt thats brings you to 5-7EUR per Month at 0.22EUR per kWh. You dont need these Overprices new stuff, build your own NAS with efficent cheap hardware.

I like the business line of desktops.. like the optiplex and thinkcentre' not only are they really cheap used but generally pretty compatible with vmware than say building your own..

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Infinity580 said: If you need big storage, build your own NAS. It takes ages to get a KS.

I would much rather have the 2x2TB online.net offer for 20€ that I missed. :(

Someone has broken into my house before so I want an offsite backup. ^^

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

4n0nx said: I would much rather have the 2x2TB online.net offer for 20€ that I missed. :(

Not to rub it in.. but that server is Awesome!!. :P

I'm kicking myself for missing out on the kidechire, I was on a silly trip to Quebec and didn't have the password to the online console or I would have bought 1/2 a dozen at least!

Does anyone know if the kiderchire comes with all the same options as the regular server line? like 100 GB FTP backup for free?

• @earl said:
    Does anyone know if the kiderchire comes with all the same options as the regular server line? like 100 GB FTP backup for free?

It does.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @AndreiGhesi said:

Nice.. This is and good upgrade i supose.

• My first colo'd box being assembled, currently with Incero in Seattle.

Thanked by 2Coastercraze earl
  • @mikeyur - is that a DL160?

• @MarkTurner SuperMicro 1U (813TS-500BP-LH)

• @mikeyur - it looks so much like an early generation DL160. Anyway you should be colo'ing that with us :)

• @MarkTurner Maybe the next one, we'll see. Incero has treated me well.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

earl said: I do like the case since the HD slots is facing the side.. more convenient than facing the back.

However makes you look for angled connector SATA cables, else the side door won't close, and these weren't common until recently (or until the times of easily ordering anything from China).

earl said: Does anyone know if the kiderchire comes with all the same options as the regular server line? like 100 GB FTP backup for free?

Not with ALL of them, but it does come with the backup. However it doesn't have RPN, doesn't have IPMI, and IP-KVM is not constantly available but only on demand (if at all -- never needed it).

Thanked by 1earl
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

earl said: I'm kicking myself for missing out on the kidechire,

Not to rub it in.. but that server is Awesome!!. :P

Yes it came with 100GB FTP

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@mikeyur

Time to buy more memory.. noticed two empty slots there :P

rm_ said: However makes you look for angled connector SATA cables, else the side door won't close, and these weren't common until recently (or until the times of easily ordering anything from China).

I love buying stuff from China, any type of adapter I can think of, someone in china seems to have made it..

Unfortunately thought the last batch of SATA cables I bought, about half failed within the first year.. probably not a good idea to have bought the cheapest that eBay offered, then again not sure if price would really have made a difference in the quality.

• clamhost, that's not much of a load on these, right?

• earlearl Member

anyone know or can explain in simple layman terms what a cisco 2509 does? or is it too ancient for anyone to know what it is..

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited April 2015

@earl - a 2509 was (from memory - long time ago) 1xAUI port, 2 Serial (upto 2Mbps or maybe 8Mbps) and 8 x async (RS232). A basic router - T1/E1 in, 10Mbps Ethernet out, and some async ports for modems or access to servers over RS232

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    earl - a 2509 was (from memory - long time ago) 1xAUI port, 2 Serial (upto 2Mbps or maybe 8Mbps) and 8 x async (RS232). A basic router - T1/E1 in, 10Mbps Ethernet out, and some async ports for modems or access to servers over RS232

not sure if it's actually a router or not, can't say I'm familiar with all these network hardware.. was gonna boot it up but I can't find any of the cables so probably not worth it..

here is one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-2500-Series-2509-ACCESS-SERVER-ROUTER-OCTAL-CAB-/140342199899