Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New online.net limited edition server, EUR 19.99/pm, no setup fee - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New online.net limited edition server, EUR 19.99/pm, no setup fee

Comments

• @pablosanz said:
    I already asked. If you want my broken server... ;P

I usually take 10$ to solve someone's headache, but in this situation, I can do it for free if you want ;)

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

@tomzu said:
    Hmm, what could one do with ipv6/48?

They actually give you one /48 per account.. so if you had 3 servers under your account you are suppose to create /56 subnets to allocate to your server of which you can further create /64 etc..

@pablosanz said:
    I'm wrong or do I have the right to another server with similar specifications?

From my experience in dealing with these French companies.. They pretty much can do whatever the hell they want and not a thing you can do about it!!

• I already wrote a Tweet to the CEO, Arnauld. I expect some answer, but don't know which one.

• @earl said:
    WOW! ipv6 for proxmox is a real pain.. tried to follow this guide
    http://tech.poirsouille.org/2014/09/proxmox-configuration-ipv6-avec-dhclient/
    but I keep getting disconnected to the server with a "Your server's network port is off" Then I have to wait half a day for them to reset the server..

It also gives a PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION but I don't own the offending MAC address mentioned?

Maybe I will just use a HE tunnel..

Sounds to me like your VMs are trying to communicate directly via the online.net gateway, which then results to the port violation error due to the MAC addresses used by your VMs which differ from the MAC address by your host (i.e. the main interface). Since online.net doesn't have any functionality to register virtual MAC addresses on their gateway, I suggest you try something different... like a routed setup via point-to-point tunneling.

Thanked by 1earl
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

pablosanz said: I'm wrong or do I have the right to another server with similar specifications?

You have a right to the exact server you purchased or a refund. They're under no obligation to give you a server of similar specification, but if they won't do that and can't provide the original server, they have to be prepared to refund your payment (pro-rated, obviously).

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

@zeitgeist said:
    Sounds to me like your VMs are trying to communicate directly via the online.net gateway, which then results to the port violation error due to the MAC addresses used by your VMs which differ from the MAC address by your host (i.e. the main interface). Since online.net doesn't have any functionality to register virtual MAC addresses on their gateway, I suggest you try something different... like a routed setup via point-to-point tunneling.

I tried a whole bunch of different guides.. I'm giving up! I've set up an HE tunnel all working now :)

If it were not that my server gets disconnected I would probably keep trying.. but I don't want to piss off the tech just incase I get disconnected again..

MAC addresses used by your VMs which differ from the MAC address by your host

I made sure to check the MAC address of the VM I created in Proxmox and it was not the same as the offending MAC address.. I don't have anything that corresponds to the offending MAC address? I'm guessing maybe somehow someone else is using an ipv6 from my subnet? not even sure if that's possible.

• @Nekki said:
    You have a right to the exact server you purchased or a refund. They're under no obligation to give you a server of similar specification, but if they won't do that and can't provide the original server, they have to be prepared to refund your payment (pro-rated, obviously).

So, get prepared. When your server fail, and servers always fails (sooner or later), they will offer you a prorated refund, not a replacement. This is unfair.

• earlearl Member

another thing I find odd.. I reinstalled proxmox from iLO since the default image of promox from the reload panel actually installs debian first then installs proxmox after.. but the DD results from the dedibox proxmox image was much higher somewhere around 300MB/s compared to the iLO install which is just around 200MB/s..

• @earl said:
    I made sure to check the MAC address of the VM I created in Proxmox and it was not the same as the offending MAC address.. I don't have anything that corresponds to the offending MAC address? I'm guessing maybe somehow someone else is using an ipv6 from my subnet? not even sure if that's possible.

I don't know why it wouldn't match your VM's MACs, but that's pretty much the only explanation I have. Online.net uses port security - a switch function enabling to limit the MAC addresses that are allowed to send traffic into the port. The port won't send packets if the sender's MAC-address is not allowed... instead you get the violation message you posted.

For the future, if you want to quickly check the MAC addresses in your network neighborhood (i.e. your VMs), you can do so using the arp command in your host.

• earlearl Member

@pablosanz said:
    So, get prepared. When your server fail, and servers always fails (sooner or later), they will offer you a prorated refund, not a replacement. This is unfair.

I experienced something like this with OVH.. I purchased one of their special deals which at the time of the offer was no restrictions on who may purcahse..

Days later they changed their mind and made it limited to EU customers only.. not only did they take about a month in refunding my money I actually lost money due to the exchange rate..

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited March 2015

@pablosanz said:

I agree. It's not cool if you consider the time it may take to set up a server. I am not sure about their general policies, but it seems it depends on the service level you've chosen?

For example, for BASIC SERVICE LEVEL (included) it says

"GTI hardware: Repair H+4"

For BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL SERVICES LEVELS (+20 Euro/month) it says

"GTI hardware: Standard replacement H+1, Manufacturer troubleshooting H+2"

And for CRITICAL PROFESSIONAL SERVICES LEVELS (+150 Euro/month) it says

"GTI hardware: Manufacturer troubleshooting H+1"

So if I am not mistaken, only with the professional service levels do you have a guaranteed hardware replacement?

• @zeitgeist said:
    I agree. It's not cool if you consider the time it may take to set up a server. I am not sure about their general policies, but it seems it depends on the service level you've chosen?

>

For example, for BASIC SERVICE LEVEL (included) it says

>

"GTI hardware: Repair H+4"

>

For BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL SERVICES LEVELS (+20 Euro/month) it says

>

"GTI hardware: Standard replacement H+1, Manufacturer troubleshooting H+2"

>

And for CRITICAL PROFESSIONAL SERVICES LEVELS (+150 Euro/month) it says

>

"GTI hardware: Manufacturer troubleshooting H+1"

>

So if I am not mistaken, only with the professional service levels do you have a guaranteed hardware replacement.

I have the BASIC SERVICE LEVEL.

• @pablosanz like most of us probably who chose this server deal. So I guess at least in terms of how they described the services, we cannot expect a hardware replacement.

• @pablosanz said:
    I have the BASIC SERVICE LEVEL.

But, those terms are about response time.

• pablosanz said: But, those terms are about response time.

Not only.

See here: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/service-level

Does anyone know what GRT stands for? ;)

• earlearl Member

@zeitgeist said:

Another possibility is that tech support posted the MAC of some other user who got the port is off error.. I would think the same the as you, that the offending MAC should be that of the VM I created in proxmox..

Actually with the routed config I tried I was pretty close.. getting ipv6 for the host node was easy but problem was restarting the network.. dhclient would get stuck, I'm think it was just the -nw I needed to add in the dhclient command..

Oh well maybe some other time I will try again.

• @zeitgeist said:
    pablosanz like most of us probably who chose this server deal. So I guess at least in terms of how they described the services, we cannot expect a hardware replacement.

But in my case is a DOA (death on arrival). As I understand, we pay for a service, not for a concrete server (the server that we get). Like the specify in the offer, for 20 euros we will get a server with 16GB RAM, etc. So, if the concrete server they supply to me was broken from the begining, they must give the option to get another one.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

@zeitgeist said:
    Does anyone know what GRT stands for? ;)

Guaranteed Repair Time
    http://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/support.xml

maybe their GRT is OVH GIT?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Wait, wait, wait... Please help an old man - I have lost track. Where do they say that they will not replace faulty hardware but cancel my service instead?

• @Amitz your service was canceled?

• @Amitz said:
    Wait, wait, wait... Please help an old man - I have lost track. Where do they say that they will not replace faulty hardware but cancel my service instead?

I have an open ticket with a support manager, and I asked him for the part of the contract that states such thing.

I'm waiting for the response.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Amitz said:

I'm assuming that only applies if they're unable to replace the faulty part. What's not clear here is what exactly is faulty in @pablosanz case; we know they will replace RAM and HDD's if found faulty.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Nekki said:
    I'm assuming that only applies if they're unable to replace the faulty part. What's not clear here is what exactly is faulty in @pablosanz case; we know they will replace RAM and HDD's if found faulty.

In first instance, they replaced the RAM module, and second time, with same memory error problem, they say that it can't be repaired. I assume that it's a motherboard problem, but don't know if they can replace this server part (obsolete server warranty).

So, I think that for they is more costly to repair the server than to replace. But they don't offer a replacement, simply a refund.

• If anyone wants to outsource a 2x2TB message me.

• Interesting. According to them:

Support premium par défaut

Nous offrons un support matériel et logiciel d'au minimum 5 ans (à compter de la date de souscription) au datacenter, en GTI H+4 24h/24 par les équipes d'Online. Ce délai peut être réduit à une GTI H+1 en niveau de service Business+ ou Critical.

http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-lt-limited-edition#configuration

Including this server deal, don't they specifically mention a minimum amount of time (from the date of the subscription) they'd offer hardware replacement support?

Kind of strange to make such a statement for a product for which they don't keep replacement servers.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I wonder if they're just short of parts right now? Unexpectedly high failure rates have temporarily caught them out?

• I have insisted to the support manager, and his only response is always the refund. I feel indefense, and frustated.

In a good company, for example a rental car company, if they don't have the car you have reserved, they always offer the superior car class, but never tell you "whe don't have cars".

That isn't the way to do it. Too bad online.net

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I've raised a ticket with support to see whether hardware replacement is viable in the future, inc motherboard. Might as well find out now while I've only wasted €9 Euro and few hours on a Sunday.

Thanked by 1earl
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

So...

Ticket created on 2015-03-23 20:03:40, read on 2015-03-23 20:41:02

Hi,

In that case, do you have sufficient stock of the same machine (Dedibox 1115) for replacement purposes? As this was a very limited offer, I am concerned that you will not be able to replace my server, as you are not selling these anymore.

Thank you.

Ticket created on 2015-03-23 20:57:00, read on 2015-03-23 20:57:27

Hello,

We have stock to exchange and pieces to do

Regards,
    -- 
    Jonathan L.

Thanked by 2Amitz elflord
  • @DeanKamitsis said:
    Ok I'm going crazy here. Has anyone managed to get IPv6 working on CentOS 6? I've followed their instructions for dhclient and am getting nowhere fast. I'm going round and round in circles. All I can find is people saying that they can't get it working and then others say they've got it working but there's no post saying how they got it working.

This might work although not tested for 6 https://github.com/outime/ipv6-dhclient-script