Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DN42- LowEndPeers - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DN42- LowEndPeers

1235»

Comments

• Duh, I can't create my AS block which will encounter the following error:

AS Block: 131000-131070

< not allowed to create at top level
    UNATHORIZED: no permission to assign resources from AS pool

Any idea?

• I wanna peer! AS4242423311. Just got one arubacloud server in italy. Before I fuck up my other servers :D

• This is interesting, might give it a go to try out, but I got no experience with any of this stuff, so it'll be hard to figure out...

• @Edmond said:
    This is interesting, might give it a go to try out, but I got no experience with any of this stuff, so it'll be hard to figure out...

I wonder if there are any tutorials about interconnecting and peering with others on dn42...

• @lifehome said:

@Edmond said:
    This is interesting, might give it a go to try out, but I got no experience with any of this stuff, so it'll be hard to figure out...

I wonder if there are any tutorials about interconnecting and peering with others on dn42...

Don't be that mean :P

We all have to start somewhere.

@Edmond said:

No Problem dn42 is also for newbies. There are 'some' friendly people in irc. Their documentation can be better especially if you are new. Took me like an hour to set up the database objects cause I had no clue but it is really similar to RIPE database. I just got another 1€ server with aruba in italy so that I do not mess up my other servers. I use openvpn to connect but there are other possibilities some are even easier but well. You gotta get into it. It is fun. I like to try out new things and do some challenging tasks. Next step for me is to get ASN, a free ipv6 space and a vps with bgp (one time low cost) and to find a peering partner.

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited August 2017

@blackjack4494 said:

@lifehome said:

@Edmond said:

@Edmond said:

No Problem dn42 is also for newbies. There are 'some' friendly people in irc. Their documentation can be better especially if you are new. Took me like an hour to set up the database objects cause I had no clue but it is really similar to RIPE database. I just got another 1€ server with aruba in italy so that I do not mess up my other servers. I use openvpn to connect but there are other possibilities some are even easier but well. You gotta get into it. It is fun. I like to try out new things and do some challenging tasks. Next step for me is to get ASN, a free ipv6 space and a vps with bgp (one time low cost) and to find a peering partner.

Do I have to dedicate a VPS to this in order to try this? I don't want to purposely go buy another VPS to try this.

• No of course not you can use your home computer as well but you should have something running 24/7. Maybe you have a pi that you can use for that. But 1€ (well +vat..) per month is not that much. But try their getting started.

• @blackjack4494

If you'd like, I have a system in Toronto and Germany which are already connected to the network and we can peer.

I'm welcome to anyone who wants to peer actually, though I'd prefer OpenVPN if possible, as it's the easiest for me to setup.

• @blackjack4494 said:

@lifehome said:

@Edmond said:

Lol I didn't mean that, sorry. As it seems the tutorial doesn't really explain much at all...

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @blackjack4494

If you'd like, I have a system in Toronto and Germany which are already connected to the network and we can peer.

I'm welcome to anyone who wants to peer actually, though I'd prefer OpenVPN if possible, as it's the easiest for me to setup.

Yeah sure. I also use openvpn. I can send you details via pm about config later (prolly tmr)

• @lifehome said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@lifehome said:

@Edmond said:

Lol I didn't mean that, sorry. As it seems the tutorial doesn't really explain much at all...
    @lifehome said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@lifehome said:

@Edmond said:

@lifehome said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@lifehome said:

@Edmond said:

Ya... I'm still sorta lost after reading the get started tutorial...

• @Edmond said:
    Ya... I'm still sorta lost after reading the get started tutorial...

Hit me up with a pn where you'd stuck

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Edmond said: Ya... I'm still sorta lost after reading the get started tutorial...

If you have no networking background at all, I guess it will be somewhat hard.

Familiarize yourself with bgp through some youtube videos, and then go through the dn42 tutorials (I know they are not documented well, but at least somewhere), then find a person to peer with (after setting up your resources - AS, IP block, etc.). From there onwards it will be the same.

Quagga or bird tutorials should suffice :P

Thanked by 2WSS Edmond
  • @rsk said:

Edmond said: Ya... I'm still sorta lost after reading the get started tutorial...

Familiarize yourself with bgp through some youtube videos, and then go through the dn42 tutorials (I know they are not documented well, but at least somewhere), then find a person to peer with (after setting up your resources - AS, IP block, etc.). From there onwards it will be the same.

Yeah well for my part. I myself had little to no knowledge at all. I know how to add ip temp/permanent how to use openvpn, dns (bind9). But nothing about bgp (I use bird since it is the de facto standard as of today). But I struggled with their documentation as well. And when I was looking for some help in IRC it took some hours until at least someone responded (there were about ~100users but all afk). Finally someone responded but always told me to look into the goddamn fkin documentation... They are no 1st level support blaaa blaaaaa.. Another person could he me a bit more and was way more open to questions. Most of the people I talked to are in the Freifunk community. Lucky me I found some likeminded people. There is a german/swiss group of students interested in networking so am I german and student interested in networking :D

But back to the matter. I also watched some yt vids and read some articles and documentation. But still there could be more or better help/documentation. For example routing tables there are default router full table and what else I barely heard about and it is hard to find something good on the net that is free at least. I found a lot stuff which you need to buy.

But to encourage @Edmond just keep going and trying.

Thanked by 2WSS Edmond
  • WSSWSS Member

Oh man the last time I dealt with BGP/OSPF was.. oh fuck me. It was long enough ago that the Ciscos are old enough to drink. Guess I should brush up on current technology.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

Got my Raspberry Pi going and I should be done with setup tomorrow. If anyone wants to peer let me know. Im in eastern EU, AS4242428701

• @blackjack4494 Thanks! I'll give it a shot with I have the time later this week or something like that.

@blackjack4494 said:

@rsk said:

Yeah well for my part. I myself had little to no knowledge at all. I know how to add ip temp/permanent how to use openvpn, dns (bind9). But nothing about bgp (I use bird since it is the de facto standard as of today). But I struggled with their documentation as well. And when I was looking for some help in IRC it took some hours until at least someone responded (there were about ~100users but all afk). Finally someone responded but always told me to look into the goddamn fkin documentation... They are no 1st level support blaaa blaaaaa.. Another person could he me a bit more and was way more open to questions. Most of the people I talked to are in the Freifunk community. Lucky me I found some likeminded people. There is a german/swiss group of students interested in networking so am I german and student interested in networking :D

But back to the matter. I also watched some yt vids and read some articles and documentation. But still there could be more or better help/documentation. For example routing tables there are default router full table and what else I barely heard about and it is hard to find something good on the net that is free at least. I found a lot stuff which you need to buy.

But to encourage @Edmond just keep going and trying.

Well, if you have any questions let me know here. I am sure that the members of LET and I can help :)

Oh, and forgot to mention DN42's IX, check it out, solves the hassle of having to find a peer as well; https://dn42.eu/services/Exchanges

• Running 4 nodes, 4242421123, open peering.