Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DN42- LowEndPeers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DN42- LowEndPeers

Comments

• I have a bunch of idle boxes. How much traffic should I expect?

• That depends on you, it's not a mesh network (aka carry traffic for others) unless you configure it to be. Many just grab a /25 (which i don't like on DN42, it should be /24 and le 24 on all BGP nodes) and connect their own network to it i.e. to access some hackerspace network.

Thanked by 1outime
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@William said:
    That depends on you, it's not a mesh network (aka carry traffic for others) unless you configure it to be. Many just grab a /25 (which i don't like on DN42, it should be /24 and le 24 on all BGP nodes) and connect their own network to it i.e. to access some hackerspace network.

Correct, you could peer with only one peer and then that peer would carry your traffic. If you peer with two peers and they are not directly connected you could end up carrying traffic between them.

Many grab a /25 because the wiki specifies that a /25 is a good allocation.

Thanked by 1outime
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

Hello guys, just a quick warning not to register 2x/24 or 2x/23 without having either of their BGP sessions active and 80% of their address space used! I can see someone on the same space as me has registered 2x/23, a massive chunk- and they're not even using one of them! Same goes for the people registering 2x/24.

(I'm watching you @outime and @eddynetweb)

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2015

@0xdragon said:
    Bird may require certain kernel modules. Give it a go and let us know :)

Bird works on OpenVZ fine. I'm running bird + openvpn tunnel on 64MB NAT VPS.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • 0xdragon said: I can see someone on the same space as me has registered 2x/23

Lol i didn't even realize there were that many IP addresses available. Yesterday it looked like there was space for maybe a couple more /24s but no more

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Lol i didn't even realize there were that many IP addresses available. Yesterday it looked like there was space for maybe a couple more /24s but no more

Not 2^/23, 2x /23 :)

• @0xdragon check PM :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

0xdragon said: just a quick warning not to register 2x/24 or 2x/23 without having either of their BGP sessions active and 80% of their address space used!

I don't even @ why this doesn't use IPv6. Surely it's not enough that we have IPv4 exhaustion in the real world, let's also bring the same problem unto ourselves in our toy network.

• @rm_ said:
    I don't even @ why this doesn't use IPv6. Surely it's not enough that we have IPv4 exhaustion in the real world, let's also bring the same problem unto ourselves in our toy network.

It does actually have IPv6, just like the real world. You can register inet6num in the registry and use it just fine! :D

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

0xdragon said: It does actually have IPv6, just like the real world. You can register inet6num in the registry and use it just fine! :D

Seeing how you all mention only IPv4 in this thread, looks like it also simulates the real world's lack of adoption of IPv6. :)

• @rm_ said:
    Seeing how you all mention only IPv4 in this thread, looks like it also simulates the real world's lack of adoption of IPv6. :)

It really does!

• Is there any advantage of using a /24 instead of a /25? I've read somewhere that reverse DNS can only be created for /24s and larger

• Currently not taking any more peering requests - adjusting my automated firewall settings.

Will be back in a while.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Is there any advantage of using a /24 instead of a /25? I've read somewhere that reverse DNS can only be created for /24s and larger

There are some workarounds for that also so that is not the case. If you need more IPs go for /24. /25 is fine for most stuff.

• Vita said: There are some workarounds for that also so that is not the case. If you need more IPs go for /24. /25 is fine for most stuff.

Alright, thanks.

I'm still up for peering btw if anyone is interested :)

• gsrdgrdghd said: I'm still up for peering btw if anyone is interested :)

Bump. Right now i'm particularly interested in peerings in the US (anywhere) but EU is fine too :)

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Bump. Right now i'm particularly interested in peerings in the US (anywhere) but EU is fine too :)

Join the IRC and Query RyanH

Alternatively PM me, I've got BHS, Canada and Paris, France at the moment.

• 0xdragon said: (I'm watching you @outime and @eddynetweb)

I relinquished one of my /24's.

I'll be peering with someone soon (when I have time to setup).

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Any idea how to reset Mantainer object password at NixNodes web registry?

//I don't think there is need to open new thread.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@Radi said:
    Any idea how to reset Mantainer object password at NixNodes web registry?

//I don't think there is need to open new thread.

Join the irc channel and ask for help there.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Tried to join with mibbit, said: You are banned.

• I'll go ahead and peer from UK, NL, Sydney(Australia)

• ReetusReetus Member

Anyone still using this? I'm looking for a peer.

• cassacassa Member

@Reetus I started thinking of working on this again yesterday, looking for a peer too. Still waiting for a OpenWRT router to be delivered though.

• looking for a peer

• ReetusReetus Member

Wheres your box located, I grabbed a couple peers eventually from their IRC, happy to peer with lowend'ers

• maoyipengmaoyipeng Member
    edited June 2015

Las Vegas
    btw
    can you tell me which irc server did you use?

@Reetus said:
    Wheres your box located, I grabbed a couple peers eventually from their IRC, happy to peer with lowend'ers

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2015

I've used this in the past but don't have anything setup at the moment,

One bit of advise is if you plan to use it on a live router (I had it setup on my home router at one point) is to filter the routes you accept/export.

Oh and to firewall it from anything you don't want it to be able to access

• ReetusReetus Member

@maoyipeng irc.hackint.net #dn42

Thanked by 1maoyipeng