Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Follow-up to Delimiter's fraud accusations - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Follow-up to Delimiter's fraud accusations

Comments

• @alessio said:
    No, I didnt. When it came to this point the conversation took place in the evening (I wouldnt have been able to answer the phone), I was extremely frustrated with their responses (-> address "verification") and attitude and they were already sort of stuck at the address issue and I honestly didnt care about the service itself anymore. I was happy they offered the refund without troubles (god knows) and wanted to call it a day.

I can only guess how frustrated you must have felt by that point, which may be why it's hard for me to understand why you didn't just tell them, "That's the wrong department. I'm in a different one, you can try asking for ****** at #********* tomorrow morning during office hours."

It seems to me like they were stuck on the address issue because they had no real phone number to work off of. You were too frustrated with them by that point and chose not provide a proper one, which was well within your rights, but from their point of view they were also within their rights to file a FR report.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure you would have preferred to give them your work number straight up (or just double check your address and use your work number when you first signed up) if you had the chance to redo everything again, but I honestly don't think Delimiter will be willing to budge on this matter.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

I think part of the problem is confusion over FraudRecord process. Although it's called FraudRecord, their website makes it clear that a business can report clients for any kind of behavior that the business finds "unpleasant", so it is not limited to clients who have committed fraud. Therefore Delimiter's report should not be taken as an accusation of fraud, only as an accusation of whatever the report states, which seems undeniable since the only contestable one is a subjective statement.

So main issue is that some companies take FraudRecord reports in the wrong way and unreasonably deny service. But they don't really have anything to lose by doing so (lose some customers who got unlucky, but prevent lots of fraudulent customers at the same time). Maybe should make a FraudRecordRecord database that lists unpleasant experiences with companies that use FraudRecord so customers can avoid wasting time purchasing services from them (but really that's LET; although you haven't mentioned the name of the company that unreasonably denied you service for a trivial report, not sure why you're focusing on Delimiter).

Anyway I think FraudRecord can avoid many of the problems by requiring every host to write in terms of service that they specifically use FraudRecord (whether querying or submitting), and update module to email client after a report is submitted so that customer has a chance to contest the report with FraudRecord or with the business. There's really no reason not to, unless some businesses don't want their customers to know that they're using FraudRecord, but that's just bad practice. This way customers unhappy with FraudRecord can avoid providers who use the system, and they also easily know who reported them so businesses are properly held accountable for their reports (meaning accuracy of reports also improves).

• ricardo said: Hope not to detract too much, @MarkTurner could you comment on why this happened 60 days after signup rather than at signup?

The FraudRecord report was made by Delimiter at the point of contract termination. Its not something that happened recently.

• I mean the situation in general, it reads as if his personal details were flagged some time after sign up.

Thanked by 1geekalot

ricardo said: I mean the situation in general, it reads as if his personal details were flagged some time after sign up.

Maybe they were conducting review of client data to avoid abuse. I don't see how it matters though, if the review was carried out with malicious intent they wouldn't have refunded him.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2014

Yeah, I feel the angle has been covered for "reasons to audit data", which fall under the "cover your own arse" nature of complying with laws, it just seems sensible if you want to apply that kind of gravity to valid and complete details then it can be done at signup.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited November 2014

@ricardo: The order was delivered then about 29 days later during an audit they found it was invalid:

06/06/2014 10:47 First notification to the customer of invalid contact information. Customer didn't bother to even respond.

06/23/2014 10:22 Final notice of invalid contact information with threat of suspension

[lots of backwards and forwards between OP and Delimiter's accountant]

06/24/2014 11:38 24 hour notice period had elapsed and service suspended

The customer had 18 days to resolve the issue, this didn't happen over a lunchtime.

• Not to labour the point, I'm just saying that this process could occur shortly before or after payment, or product creation. It's fine, I appreciate vetting of details would hurt sales.

In this case, clearly there was ample opportunity to update the details and an acknowledgement (no excuses about being on holiday given the timeframe).

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited November 2014

ricardo said: and complete details then it can be done at signup.

It is, just search on here or WHT for threads about Delimiter won't accept my order or words to that effect.

The OPs order fails even the simplest checks:

Address verification - FAIL

Name verification - FAIL

Paypal verified - FAIL

Paypal + order address the same - FAIL

This is why there are regular audits just to make sure things don't slip through. The customer was notified 18 days before the service was terminated.

• ricardo said: Not to labour the point, I'm just saying that this process could occur shortly before or after payment, or product creation. It's fine, I appreciate vetting of details would hurt sales.

It happens as the orders come in, thats why orders that come in after hours are held until the next business day for review.

Every order is HAND examined. This one slipped through, it shouldn't have.

Delimiter is usually the other way round - way to heavy handed denying order acceptance.

• Fair enough, sounds fair to me.

• Mark, I have to say, for someone who doesn't work for Delimiter, whose words don't represent the opinions of Delimiter; it sure seems like you are super eager to dive in and share details, thoughts, facts and events as though they came from Delimiter themselves.

It might be the small community here, or your personality in this board, but you do appear to be The De-facto Delimiter Spokesperson here; I'm not sure that's an entirely good thing.

Thanked by 2Mark_R geekalot
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

salathe said: I'm not sure that's an entirely good thing

Why? He works for the parent company, he should be considered capable of speaking from their point of view.

Thanked by 2CFarence 0xdragon
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2014

@alessio said:

It's a personal conclusion, just reading through all of this it comes across as if you have something to hide or are not telling us. Or let me put it this way, Delimiter's side sounds more plausible.

You did not answer when I asked "Is Alessio another account on LET? You had a different one before?"

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @Salathe - I work for their parent company and work in the same office as some of them. When the OP originally contacted me to help, I asked Delimiter to give me copies of the tickets to review. Thats why I can say authoritatively that Delimiter's FraudRecord was accurate. If I felt it was wrong, I would be going to bat for the customer and fighting his corner. I can't fight something that is clearly right.

W1V_Lee said: You did not answer when I asked "Is Alessio another account on LET? You had a different one before?"

There was another who was advertising this sitemeer URL called Neroux.

• Jar said: Why? He works for the parent company, he should be considered capable of speaking from their point of view.

I asked both Delimiter's sales rep and their accountant on their positions with it all and paraphrased the response back. Its reported speech nothing more.

• Just can't understand why people are going crazy in hiding their online identities...obviously I won't want to list my social security numbers online or tell people what my bank password is, but how much harm could a server company done to you even if they sell your name and address and phone number to some strangers?

Plus delimiter is certainly not a one man show that is likely to sell your personal info.

zhuanyi said: Just can't understand why people are going crazy in hiding their online identities...obviously I won't want to list my social security numbers online or tell people what my bank password is, but how much harm could a server company done to you even if they sell your name and address and phone number to some strangers?

I don't get it, does this have something to do with the thread?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @W1V_Lee said:

I think he was @neroux, and it would not surprise me if he changed it due to the similarity with @netomx. I'm not sure why he created a new one instead of requesting a mod to change his username, though.

• @perennate said:
    I don't get it, does this have something to do with the thread?

I assumed the reason why OP refused to give his correct address and phone number initially was because he wants to keep his privacy online? Or am I missing sth?

edited November 2014

zhuanyi said: I assumed the reason why OP refused to give his correct address and phone number initially was because he wants to keep his privacy online? Or am I missing sth?

He said that it was an accident I think, left out street number but put correct street name or something.

• Well, considering how secretive is delimiter about their company details (i.e. they refuse to list / give their company details - the customer cannot know which legal entity they are dealing with)... I can understand why the customer might not want to give them their details. But if this is the case he should say it directly. And i don't think this was the case with this user.

• hellogoodbye said: I think he was neroux,

According to a discussion in 'The Cest Pit', the user neroux was banned for some reason.

perennate said: He said that it was an accident I think, left out street number but put correct street name or something.

So if you leave off the house number and then the provider says something wrong with your address do you:

A: Add the missing house number
    B: Give a completely different address

Delimiter checked his name + partial address and there was no match.

edited November 2014

MarkTurner said: So if you leave off the house number and then the provider says something wrong with your address do you:

A: Add the missing house number B: Give a completely different address

Delimiter checked his name + partial address and there was no match.

Good for you. I was just saying that he didn't say that he wanted to keep his information private. Anyway he claimed differently from Delimiter and there's no way for anyone else to tell unless he provides more information, for example his claim that your confirmation of his name and partial address used an incorrect phone number or whatever is plausible, on the other hand a reasonable person would have corrected the address and provided complete explanation for the error while it sounds like he failed to do that (for example, why didn't he provide phone number of his work place?).

Anyway like I said before, it seems like main source of his frustration is that some hosts treat all FraudRecord reports as indicative of fraud, while really FraudRecord is for any "unpleasant clients" in the particular provider's view. The only two parties who can be blamed are the second host he tried to purchase from, who unreasonably denied even though the host could have confirmed validity of the submitted information, and FraudRecord for not mandating that participant businesses clearly indicate their usage of FraudRecord in terms of service and notify customers upon submitting a report.

• LeeLee Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    There was another who was advertising this sitemeer URL called Neroux.

I see it now, So I guess that is part of the point I was making, when someone has a previous account but decides to open another it makes you think, well, multiple identity, something to hide etc...

• @perennate said:
    He said that it was an accident I think, left out street number but put correct street name or something.

I don't think it is just an "accident"...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I dunno, but I call utter bullshit on the OP not having a personal phone number.

Thanked by 2zhuanyi Wintereise
  • MarkTurner said: According to a discussion in 'The Cest Pit', the user neroux was banned for some reason.

He was banned automatically for changing his e-mail to one at a blacklisted domain IIRC.

• alexh said: He was banned automatically for changing his e-mail to one at a blacklisted domain IIRC.

Yup, that's what happened.

• Microlinux said: I dunno, but I call utter bullshit on the OP not having a personal phone number.

Even if he refused to have a personal phone number for whatever reason, if he has a job (as he has mentioned), then there is a very likely chance he would have a work phone number for people to call him....