Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To whomever is DDoSing us...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To whomever is DDoSing us...

Steven_FSteven_F Member
edited October 2014 in General

To whomever is DDoSing our website:

If you're a client (unlikely), please open a ticket and we can resolve this problem.

However, I believe this is more likely:

If you're trying to run us out of competition, you're doing an awful job. I'm this close to including DDoS protection on every VPS, at no price increase. I'm pretty sure that would be the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish here.

Thanked by 2enitan092 Lixxx235

Comments

• Is this the new trend, providers posting when they come under DDoS?

I'd be posting a thread a day.

• Acknowledging the attack is most likely want the pricks want, plus it's not likely they're going to stop just because you posted a thread here. I see posting a thread as being nothing but counterproductive.

• edited October 2014

We should see who came new but is not able to gather customers , we may find the culprit, Although theres nothing much we could do about it other than DDOSing all his services

• Threads like this acknowledging the attack only add fuel to the fire. (Unless you're naming and shaming ofcourse.)

• sparkosparko Member
    edited October 2014

Why are you posting your problem here? Just try to handle it.
    Because I am sure the attacker is not going to change his/her mind!

• You seriously think someone would try to fix the problem via ticket after DDOSing you?

Thanked by 2sparko diszk
  • @coolnow said:
    You seriously think someone would try to fix the problem via ticket after DDOSing you?

That would be a confession, too easy.

• coolnow said: You seriously think someone would try to fix the problem via ticket after DDOSing you?

And he is going to still accept the client :P

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    We should see who came new but is not able to gather customers , we may find the culprit, Although theres nothing much we could do about it other than DDOSing all his services

This game has been going on for years, might be someone new, might not be. Guessing is pointless, you're unlikely to get evidence anyhow.

• @Nekki said:
    This game has been going on for years, might be someone new, might not be. Guessing is pointless, you're unlikely to get evidence anyhow.

But if this keeps happening at the rate it is right now, it won't take too long for LET to become dead :( May be LET providers & members should make a mutual fund, get this investigated & take legal action against the culprit.

• @Nekki said:

True , I got DDOS'ed like 1 day before serverian left the community. Really if the person thinks DDOS'ing is the only way to take people out competition its not possible.

• @K2Bytes said:
    But if this keeps happening at the rate it is right now, it won't take too long for LET to become dead :( May be LET providers & members should make a mutual fund, get this investigated & take legal action against the culprit.

Thats easier said than done. DDoSsing is not that easy to trace, and short of accusing everyone and hoping someone comes forward there is not much that can really be done. I'd just continue to make my prices even better to piss the person off, we include DDoS protection as standard so for the most part could take this if it happens to us.

• @Steven_F can you show us some BW graphs of these DDoS attacks, this just sounds like to me you are trying to advertise that you are going to be offering free DDoS protection and you needed some kind of way to get people to look at the thread

Thanked by 1xDragonZ
  • @SNetworks1 said:
    Thats easier said than done. DDoSsing is not that easy to trace, and short of accusing everyone and hoping someone comes forward there is not much that can really be done. I'd just continue to make my prices even better to piss the person off, we include DDoS protection as standard so for the most part could take this if it happens to us.

Are you providing VPS out of OVH France/Canada? Because that is the only place where you can get decent DDoS Protection for no additional charges.

• @K2Bytes said:

I don't disagree that this will kill LET in the long run, but there's simply nothing to be done. If it was as simple as time and money, no-one would be attacking big financials and the line because people would be behind bars by now.

• @Spencer said:
    Steven_F can you show us some BW graphs of these DDoS attacks, this just sounds like to me you are trying to advertise that you are going to be offering free DDoS protection and you needed some kind of way to get people to look at the thread

Lol, that's absurd.

http://puu.sh/cc0GB/b4dd814ac7.png

http://puu.sh/cc0Id/b37019ac3d.png

• @K2Bytes said:
    Are you providing VPS out of OVH France/Canada? Because that is the only place where you can get decent DDoS Protection for no additional charges.

Currently OVH France, looking into some better providers currently due to the shockingly shit support we seem to get for anything... Though the DDoS protection has never been tested, we have never had a significant attack tbh.

• SNetworks1 said: Thats easier said than done. DDoSsing is not that easy to trace, and short of accusing everyone and hoping someone comes forward there is not much that can really be done.

Right, but when somebody admits to it, then there's somebody to hold accountable. You are intended to start your investigation with the first lead; Nobody took the first lead seriously, continued to mock him, and then "mysteriously" got DDoSed. Everybody's too scared to play the blame game.

• @alexh said:
    Right, but when somebody admits to it, then there's somebody to hold accountable. You are intended to start your investigation with the first lead; Nobody took the first lead seriously, continued to mock him, and then "mysteriously" got DDoSed. Everybody's too scared to play the blame game.

The problem with the blame game is it normally doesn't end up working well, it gets people paranoid and then pissed off with each other for accusing each other. I agree something needs to be done, but plucking random people out of the sky isnt the best way to do it.

The first thing that needs to be done is see when these attacks are happening, what time zone that sort of thing, then you can see a pattern or not.

• @alexh said:
    Everybody's too scared to play the blame game.

I blame you! ;)

• Typical linode nullroute for anything, just cloudflare or OVH and move on. Good luck Steven!

• edited October 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    Typical linode nullroute for anything, just cloudflare or OVH and move on. Good luck Steven!

when you mentioned cloudflare were you serious ?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

SNetworks1 said: shockingly shit support we seem to get for anything

What a surprise being OVH, huh?

• alexhalexh Member
    edited October 2014

SNetworks1 said: I agree something needs to be done, but plucking random people out of the sky isnt the best way to do it.

You didn't read my post or have no knowledge of recent events here. If you are unaware of a certain subject of discussion, it doesn't hurt to ask about it prior to providing needless, borderline condescending details and advice. However, since you've made many, many statements in your post, I will correct them. Paranoia is actually what causes criminals to be caught. It's pretty easy to tell if/when somebody is acting nervous. Paranoia also causes those around the criminal to think, "If I do the wrong thing, I am now liable."

Let's address, "random people out of the sky." If somebody admits to doing a particular crime, and that crime is the one that's relevant to you being attacked also, chances are they probably have something to do with it. There isn't any gain in telling people you've done something you haven't, unless you're in high school. However, it's ignorant to make assumptions as to age or intention online, and so one should ALWAYS take what they read at face value. This whole, "proof," thing is getting old. Reasonable doubt is good enough for the law, so why is everyone so quick to defend a real online criminal?

The latter half of your post is correct, and patterns were observed in attack sequence in relation to this user's activity times and his threats. He said x would happen at y, and it did. I fail to see how people dismiss involvement specifically in regards to this previous user.

My point remains if nobody does anything, why would anything change? I really doubt this individual has learned that his actions have consequences.

wych said: I blame you! ;)

I blame you, they say the quiet ones always have the loudest minds.

• VPSRAIDSolutions said: when you mentioned cloudflare were you serious ?

Nothing wrong with cloudflare for layer 4 DDoS?

• MunMun Member

Suddenly you are rewarding the DDOS'er(s) and me as well, so it is in my advantage to root for the DDOS'er(s)?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I set my phone to ping the website nonstop. Doing my part to help us all get free DDOS protection!

(Joke)

• Is this a BoltVM ad thread?

• MunMun Member
    edited October 2014

@incloudibly said:
    Is this a BoltVM ad thread?

No you *****, read the title.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Mun that's what she said. You serious?