Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing: IPv6 "Soon" What a joke! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing: IPv6 "Soon" What a joke!

1235»

Comments

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited January 2019

Scroll down a bit and he's even more sure of 2017. (also in my sig)

• I saw ipv6 in one of the VPS provided by VirMach. I wonder if they are testing it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@alilet said:
    I saw ipv6 in one of the VPS provided by VirMach. I wonder if they are testing it.

Even if the data center doesn't support IPv6 the providers in the data center should be offering IPv6 through a tunnel at the very least, it's extremely easy to setup and 100% free.

Thanked by 3alilet eol sin
  • @Francisco said:

@Mods said:
    My trailer park even has IPv6

Is CC a shitnado?

Francisco

It's an 11 on the shit scale

• KuJoe said: Even if the data center doesn't support IPv6 the providers in the data center should be offering IPv6 through a tunnel at the very least

Agree.

I have a HE tunnelbroker tunnel on one of my VirMach VPSes, and a few IPv6-only LXC containers running on it. Works well enough. I'd really like native IPv6 though. One of the issues I've hit with it is that HE block Cloudflare from their network (https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=3805.0) :confused:

• still remember days when I join here for the first time bought ipxcore ramhost prometeus,cc have no ipv6. Time flies.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited January 2019

I'm literally dying...

Can one of the admins put Mun's profile pic as "SoonTM" or something related to IPv6?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I mean I kind of get it, if it does not make money why bother, but at this stage it is so cheap to implement even if you call it basic native support in beta to manage expectations and tunnel it all through 1 point in the network, surely it would cost near 0 and possibly make money.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

KuJoe said: Even if the data center doesn't support IPv6 the providers in the data center should be offering IPv6 through a tunnel at the very least

Agree.

I have a HE tunnelbroker tunnel on one of my VirMach VPSes, and a few IPv6-only LXC containers running on it. Works well enough. I'd really like native IPv6 though. One of the issues I've hit with it is that HE block Cloudflare from their network (https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=3805.0) :confused:

That's actually how we did V6 when we were in Buffalo all those years ago.

When we signed up we were told V6 was in final testing and would be live ASAP. We waited around for that for a few weeks then said screw it and got a HE BGP session.

It wasn't great, but it worked.

Francisco

• @teamacc said:

Scroll down a bit and he's even more sure of 2017. (also in my sig)

Yeah, I know, :smile: but since 2017 has come and gone, I wanted to take the next year that he mentioned.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    I mean I kind of get it, if it does not make money why bother, but at this stage it is so cheap to implement even if you call it basic native support in beta to manage expectations and tunnel it all through 1 point in the network, surely it would cost near 0 and possibly make money.

Until potential CC-resellers demand IPv6, CC probably won't make the effort. The CC-resellers that we've seen lately don't seem to care as long as they get the right prices from CC.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

angstrom said: Until potential CC-resellers demand IPv6, CC probably won't make the effort. The CC-resellers that we seen lately don't seem to care as long as they get the right prices from CC.

Generally i would guess that your first 6 months of learning about anything IT related does not include ipv6 so I guess that will never happen.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

angstrom said: Until potential CC-resellers demand IPv6, CC probably won't make the effort. The CC-resellers that we seen lately don't seem to care as long as they get the right prices from CC.

Generally i would guess that your first 6 months of learning about anything IT related does not include ipv6 so I guess that will never happen.

Not until home is called ::1 instead of 127.0.0.1 :-)

Thanked by 3eol angstrom sin
  • Francisco said: That's actually how we did V6 when we were in Buffalo all those years ago.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that BuyVM had servers in ColoCrossing's Buffalo DC. That launch was around the time I signed up with BuyVM (2012ish). You owned your own IPs at least, and I imagine you also owned all the hardware, unlike these Colocrossing resellers that lease everything and don't even have their own AS or even proper non-ColoCrossing reverse DNS on the IPs.

• @Francisco said:

@Daniel15 said:

KuJoe said: Even if the data center doesn't support IPv6 the providers in the data center should be offering IPv6 through a tunnel at the very least

Agree.

That's actually how we did V6 when we were in Buffalo all those years ago.

When we signed up we were told V6 was in final testing and would be live ASAP. We waited around for that for a few weeks then said screw it and got a HE BGP session.

It wasn't great, but it worked.

Francisco

Tunneled IPv6 usually has a lower MTU of 1480 due to the IPv4 overhead. Clients are on Ethernet with MTU of 1500. Did you try to "solve" the problem? Or did you leave it to PMTUD with ICMPv6?

• Don't worry everyone, it's "currently in development" (circa 2011):

• YuraYura Member

Probably the only necroposting I don't mind because it never gets old.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Yura it seems we both really bored ehhh

Thanked by 1Yura
  • YuraYura Member

@Hxxx said:

refunding all those alpharacks and woothosting clients is a full time job. I need some breaks, you know, my good man...

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • donlidonli Member

@Yura said:

@Hxxx said:

refunding all those alpharacks and woothosting clients is a full time job. I need some breaks, you know, my good man...

It gets easier after the first 10,000 $1 checks.

• YuraYura Member

@donli said:

@Yura said:

@Hxxx said:

It gets easier after the first 10,000 $1 checks.

I wish we had a printer in the officer. My typewriter is not well equipped for Chinese names and there are some of those in the list, I'm telling you...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, the only reason why is, I suspect.
    To collect the most v4 on this planet, thats why they delay it.

You can only archive this by going full retard and not handing out a single IPv6.
    If you hand out v6 you already lost.

• HurleyHurley Member

Oh wow, @Maounique. Totally forgot about this guy.

• Since they have a ton of IPv4 allocation, they are holding the value of the IPv4 higher for longer. If they offer IPv6 it somewhat devalues their hoard of IPv4.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited June 2019

They only have 799,744 IPv4 Addresses.

/19 Count 4
    /20 Count 31
    /21 Count 61
    /22 Count 162
    /23 Count 283
    /24 Count 798