Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing: IPv6 "Soon" What a joke! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing: IPv6 "Soon" What a joke!

Comments

• DalekOfSkaro said: crossing my fingers

HAHAHAHA I GET IT!

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • @Ishaq said:
    HAHAHAHA I GET IT!

Actually, there was no pun intended....

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited August 2014

Well then, I made it a pun.

Thanked by 2AlexanderM Makenai
  • @Mun said:

I'm with you there, I'd love to see them implement IPv6 as well. Meanwhile, providers can offer tunneled IPv6 but none seem to.

• MunMun Member

@mpkossen said:

Some do, but they have issues on top of it, and it requires some work on their part. Also many people want UN-tunneled(I forget the exact wordage) IPv6 because tunnels add issues and constraints.

• CC got a shitload of IPv4, I think it's in their best interest to delay IPv6 as much as possible.

• Mun said: UN-tunneled(I forget the exact wordage)

Native.

• @kcaj said:
    Native.

That's racist.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I am pretty sure we will beat the 2020 estimate :).

• jbiloh said: I am pretty sure we will beat the 2020 estimate :).

Do you have any ETA?

Thanked by 1tux
  • Soon™ Eventually™

• So uhh,

Do any CC-based providers want a /48 of IPv6, and the GRE scripts to "announce" the block onto your infrastructure? Absolutely 0 (yes, zero) of our clients want or need IPv6, so we're thinking of offering it as a remote service (full tunnel, "announced" and SWIPed blocks of IPv6, that can be used on ColoCrossing hardware.)

To top it off, we're announcing the IP addresses out of our 350 E. Cermak location in Chicago, Illinois, United States ; which has a very low latency to ColoCrossing's Buffalo location. Of course, it's not quite native; but it's a better option than expecting your clients to do the HE Tunnel to get 1 Address each.

• @GoodHosting said:
    So uhh,

Do any CC-based providers want a /48 of IPv6, and the GRE scripts to "announce" the block onto your infrastructure? Absolutely 0 (yes, zero) of our clients want or need IPv6, so we're thinking of offering it as a remote service (full tunnel, "announced" and SWIPed blocks of IPv6, that can be used on ColoCrossing hardware.)

To top it off, we're announcing the IP addresses out of our 350 E. Cermak location in Chicago, Illinois, United States ; which has a very low latency to ColoCrossing's Buffalo location. Of course, it's not quite native; but it's a better option than expecting your clients to do the HE Tunnel to get 1 Address each.

We would!! Are you charging for this?

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited August 2014

GVH_Jon said: We are the true unbeatable price host with a real price match guarantee.

Is this actually true? If it is, I wouldn't mind trying you guys again.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@0xdragon said:

Remember, you get what you pay for most of the time.

• @matthewvz said:
    Remember, you get what you pay for most of the time.

Would be an interesting experiment to say the least.

• @jbiloh said:
    I am pretty sure we will beat the 2020 estimate :).

How about the 2017 estimate?

Thanked by 1Rallias
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Not familiar with a 2017 estimate, but we'll beat that as well.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • @jbiloh said:
    Not familiar with a 2017 estimate, but we'll beat that as well.

Before 2015 ends?

• @GoodHosting said:
    So uhh,

You mean so when things break and you go on your customary weeklong vacations the other provider is screwed as well?

No thank you.

Thanked by 2raindog308 kzed
  • If someone wants a Tunnel, well, we have HE.net :-)

• @Mun said:
    Some do, but they have issues on top of it, and it requires some work on their part. Also many people want UN-tunneled(I forget the exact wordage) IPv6 because tunnels add issues and constraints.

Native is the word you are looking for, I think.

• It is. Actually, zero of our clients who want IPv6 are OK with "tunneled". The common response is "If I wanted an IPv6 Tunnel, I would've used HE.net's Tunnelbroker."

• MunMun Member

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    It is. Actually, zero of our clients who want IPv6 are OK with "tunneled". The common response is "If I wanted an IPv6 Tunnel, I would've used HE.net's Tunnelbroker."

Exactly.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    It is. Actually, zero of our clients who want IPv6 are OK with "tunneled". The common response is "If I wanted an IPv6 Tunnel, I would've used HE.net's Tunnelbroker."

Even with OpenVZ? Or when it's their own IPs, and not HE's?

I've had issues setting up IPv6 with OpenVZ with some hosts because of missing kernel modules, broken templates, etc.

• MunMun Member

@mpkossen said:
    I've had issues setting up IPv6 with OpenVZ with some hosts because of missing kernel modules, broken templates, etc.

Indeed, setting up OPENVZ with IPv6 is a pain, I just completely stayed away from it and asked the provider for IPv6 bluntly or told them to give me a KVM.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Mun said:
    Indeed, setting up OPENVZ with IPv6 is a pain, I just completely stayed away from it and asked the provider for IPv6 bluntly or told them to give me a KVM.

What if the host provides the tunnel, and just adds the IPv6 to your container? it's still tunneled, but your VM doesn't need to do any special configuration; and would think it's native (with none of the benefits, but still; at least it works.)

• MunMun Member

@GoodHosting said:
    What if the host provides the tunnel, and just adds the IPv6 to your container? it's still tunneled, but your VM doesn't need to do any special configuration; and would think it's native (with none of the benefits, but still; at least it works.)

See that the thing, most providers want to do a HE.net tunnel, and he.net tunnels don't offer the full abilities native does.

• mpkossen said: Even with OpenVZ? Or when it's their own IPs, and not HE's?

We don't use OpenVZ. XEN and KVM Only. However, OpenVZ and IPv6 don't go so well together, unfortunately. I think Parallels' OpenVZ has the correct modules for IPv6, but not a single LowEnd Provider will use Parallels in their products anyway.

Mun said: See that the thing, most providers want to do a HE.net tunnel, and he.net tunnels don't offer the full abilities native does.

HE.net gives you DNS Delegation which is great. However, keep in mind that you can't use the /64 or the /48 when you're doing VPS since it ties to a single IP. This would work perfectly for Shared Hosting, but not with VPS/Cloud when you assign X amount of IPs per VM. Not to mention you have a limit of 5 subnets when you have an account with them.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MrObvious said: You mean so when things break and you go on your customary weeklong vacations the other provider is screwed as well?

No thank you.

Indeed...he has enough problems just keeping DNS online.