Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing: IPv6 "Soon" What a joke! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing: IPv6 "Soon" What a joke!

Comments

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited December 2014

@wych: I'm crossing my fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes, and nostrils :D

• If you expected honesty it is your eyes that are crossed

• I am not sure where in colo crossing stack they do not support ipv6 but i would think it would be import to replace providers that are not upgrading firmware or devices that support standards. If ipv6 was fully used there would be lots of use cases where your servers or vm's will use ipv6 for cluster communicatin and only ipv4 when talking to the outside world. i dont host anything in datacenters that dont support ipv6 unless its a ping node to stalk network routers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

DalekOfSkaro said: I'm crossing my arms

You will probably crossing your arms on your chest before they run out of IPv4 and consider IPv6.
    As I said a few times, in US there are plenty of IPv4 and the population is not growing, so, while, maybe, the prices will go up a bit that will be way less than in Asia or Europe, so no real incentives to support ipv6 and it will also complicate surveillance a bit, giving people a lot of space to create meshes and gateways hard to track to underground encrypted traffic.

• BuyVM's soon has already been solved. so maybe CC ipv6 will be next solved

• jcaleb said: BuyVM's soon has already been solved. so maybe CC ipv6 will be next solved

BuyVM tweaked their own kernel and template to be able to serve IPv6 flawlessly.

vRozenSch00n said: own kernel

Erm what do you mean by that?

• Maounique said: Erm what do you mean by that?

Not their own, but they tweak it so that it wouldn't be any conflict within the container.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

vRozenSch00n said: BuyVM tweaked their own kernel and template to be able to serve IPv6 flawlessly.

Maounique said: Erm what do you mean by that?

The only kernel related things we did was get ip6tables to work better in 2.6.18. With 2.6.32 there hasn't been a lot of reasons to dink with the kernel.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Maounique there Fran has it answered :)

Ah, I thought they did something in their panel something like own OS.

Thanked by 2Francisco BlaZe
  • Almost no one at all connects to my servers using IPv6, neither my 3G nor home internet support IPv6, often the rDNS can't be set for IPv6 or no IPv6 glue records are supported. -> I stopped bothering with IPv6 for now.

• @4n0nx said:
    Almost no one at all connects to my servers using IPv6, neither my 3G nor home internet support IPv6, often the rDNS can't be set for IPv6 or no IPv6 glue records are supported. -> I stopped bothering with IPv6 for now.

You are wrong. A good chunk of data on my cdn is being pulled from IPv6 at this point. They are dual stacks of course but it is getting used more and more.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

@Mun said:
    You are wrong.

No need to attack him Mun, he said:

@4n0nx said:
    Almost no one at all connects to my servers using IPv6, neither my 3G nor home internet support IPv6, often the rDNS can't be set for IPv6 or no IPv6 glue records are supported. -> I stopped bothering with IPv6 for now.

Lots of sample size / opinion text, not definitives :).

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

@jbiloh said:
    Not familiar with a 2017 estimate, but we'll beat that as well.

@jbiloh said:
    We know ipv6 is important to many of our customers and we are working on delivering on their requests for native ipv6. At this point I expect we will have it long before most of you expect.

lol

Amazing that this post is still relevant over four years later. My home ISP, phone provider, and employer all have native IPv6, as do all my VPSes except the ones hosted in ColoCrossing facilities (VirMach). This post is #1 in Google for "ColoCrossing IPv6"

• hzrhzr Member

Every single mobile carrier and home ISP here deploys native IPv6 (/56 minimum for home) here.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Got IPv6 as well... Native.

CC if you wanna bump your sales, just deploy IPv6.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    HAHA, this is my favorite necro, not even mad!

I usually don't bump old threads... I made an exception for this one though, since it's special and "we'll do this before 2017" is a fun thing to read in 2019.

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith eol
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Daniel15 said: except the ones hosted in ColoCrossing facilities (VirMach)

So vote with your money, don't buy services without IPv6. Seems simple enough.

• 666Colo666Crossing666.com

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

@rm_ said:

Daniel15 said: except the ones hosted in ColoCrossing facilities (VirMach)

So vote with your money, don't buy services without IPv6. Seems simple enough.

VirMach is legitimately a good provider though. Been using them for nearly two years, no issues. It's just unfortunate that they use ColoCrossing.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2019

Daniel15 said: VirMach is legitimately a good provider though. Been using them for nearly two years, no issues. It's just unfortunate that they use ColoCrossing.

Sure, but in the end it shows that you don't really care that it doesn't have IPv6. Since you will still buy and use it even without. In turn that lets ColoCrossing continue to sell the dedis or whatnot to VirMach. And everything goes on IPv4-only for another 5 years, and so on. As it does, from the point of view of CC management, what's the issue?

• Yeah, I'm going to migrate away from VirMach once my term is up (paid for one year) if they still don't offer IPv6.

• WoetWoet Member
    edited January 2019

https://blog.colocrossing.com/is-time-start-using-ipv6-data-center

With so many applications being released on Android, iOS and Windows Mobile, your business must begin embracing IPv6 in order to stay ahead of the competition.

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • My trailer park even has IPv6

Thanked by 1eol
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Mods said:
    My trailer park even has IPv6

Is CC a shitnado?

Francisco

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @jbiloh said:
    I am pretty sure we will beat the 2020 estimate :).

Well, lets see then.

@jbiloh said:
    Not familiar with a 2017 estimate, but we'll beat that as well.

Oh.

• @jbiloh after "beating" the 2017 estimate:

Nice victory.

Thanked by 1eol