Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,99€ dedicated server ? - Page 38
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1,99€ dedicated server ?

Comments

• Has anyone managed to run KVM successfully? The cpu says it supports vmx but there seems to be problems :(

• did you try with different cpu types?

btw, i couldnt set the cpu governer to performance... anyone?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Amitz said: an EUR 0.89 app.

Amitz said: I saw those EUR 0.89 as real small donation to a working and useful free OpenSource software solution

Nope sorry this is just b/s. People can donate voluntarily if they want. But charging for the app is just hiding behind the "Open Source" banner and then trying to milk you on the "little things" like something you will need to actually use the software (but not know beforehand there's a mandatory payment somewhere down the line). Like all those scumbag "FOSS" projects which have a "Products" or "Buy now" section on the website. When you see one of those, better find an alternative, because you instantly know that whatever "Community" version they provide, will be crippled in certain essential ways, and any improvements to those areas will be halted/not accepted because of the "business interests".

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • tridinebandim said: did you try with different cpu types?

Try different cpu as in I have a working kvm virtualization with these servers and I had to change the cpu type in order to work OR try different cpu as in once with another server hosted at another datacenter I had this problem ?

• @camarg said:

do you have enabled vmx feature?for intel it's disabled and need to enabled in bios setting

camarg said: Has anyone managed to run KVM successfully? The cpu says it supports vmx but there seems to be problems :(

I tried KVM only in the Ubuntu 12.04 rescue system that they offer, and yes it does crash.

There have been some bugs in the kernel with KVM support for Via Nano. I can't find the actual kernel or qemu bugreports now, only Ubuntu and Debian ones. In any case, retry with the latest Qemu-KVM and the Linux kernel to see if those have been fixed.

Thanked by 1camarg
  • @rm_ said:
    Nope sorry this is just b/s. People can donate voluntarily if they want. But charging for the app is just hiding behind the "Open Source" banner and then trying to milk you on the "little things" like something you will need to actually use the software (but not know beforehand there's a mandatory payment somewhere down the line). Like all those scumbag "FOSS" projects which have a "Products" or "Buy now" section on the website. When you see one of those, better find an alternative, because you instantly know that whatever "Community" version they provide, will be crippled in certain essential ways, and any improvements to those areas will be halted/not accepted because of the "business interests".

I get your point and think it is a valid one. I haven't thought about the monetary backdoor thing and FOSS. However, you do not necessarily need the "original" OwnCloud app. Any WebDAV client will do the same. As said, I was personally okay with those 0.89 EUR, but I understand that this is a double-edged sword.

• @rm_ said:
    only Ubuntu and Debian ones. In any case, retry with the latest Qemu-KVM and the Linux kernel to see if those have been fixed.

CentOs as well has problems running KVM

• @Nekki said:
    I don't seem to be having much luck these days, that's 2 servers in a week.

Set a more secure password?

• @robohost said:
    do you have enabled vmx feature?for intel it's disabled and need to enabled in bios setting

I dont have access to the bios but /proc/cpuinfo output has vmx

• @jmckeag12 said:
    Set a more secure password?

The Online.net server one was actually very strong, and root login was disabled, so I think they made a mistake. Weirdly, I have Ubuntu installed and not Debian as requested, so fuck knows what happened there.

Still not clue about the BlueVM feathur compromise.

• None of my servers has been hacked so far (knock on wood). I fear that if it happens the first time that it might feel like a physical break-in to my house... Had that several times. Not funny.

• Only once have I had a server of mine hacked. Was a small VM that had been provisioned the night before and I hadn't yet setup key auth for SSH, it was brute forced. Only realised it had happened by noticing the last logged in IP address when logging in myself the following morning.

I tend to power down servers now if I haven't set them up. If they have been lefted on for a while after setup I will reinstall the OS before using it.

On topic: I have never attempted this before. What methods can I use (if possible) to mount some storage space on my Online.net server on another server?

edited September 2014

kcaj said: What methods can I use (if possible) to mount some storage space on my Online.net server on another server?

The simplest option is sshfs. Or for better performance, Samba (either over some VPN such as Tinc, or if you do not care about encryption in transit, just with IP whitelisting in iptables to have at least some security).

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

rm_ said: The simplest option is sshfs. Or for better performance, Samba (either over some VPN such as Tinc, or if you do not care about encryption in transit, just with IP whitelisting in iptables to have at least some security).

Thank you, sshfs is working a dream. I didn't think it would as easy as it is.

root@li147-104:/home# df -h
    Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  2.0G  1.3G  642M  67% /
    /dev/root               2.0G  1.3G  642M  67% /
    devtmpfs                494M     0  494M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    99M  216K   99M   1% /run
    tmpfs                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs                   224M     0  224M   0% /run/shm
    /dev/xvdc                20G   15G  4.8G  76% /home
    /dev/xvdd               2.0G  897M 1019M  47% /mysql
    /dev/mapper/truecrypt7 1014M  259M  756M  26% /media/truecrypt7
    root@sd-22033:/home2    146G  931M  138G   1% /home2
    root@sd-26771:/home3    146G  931M  138G   1% /home3
    root@li147-104:/home#
    edited September 2014

root@sd-22033:/home2 146G 931M 138G 1% /home2
    root@sd-26771:/home3 146G 931M 138G 1% /home3

You should take a look at http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/33817/reclaim-some-free-space-on-your-server-with-this-weird-trick-kvm-xen-dedi-only/p1 :)

• This seems like it was an insanely good deal. Disappointed to have missed it.

• ahmiqahmiq Member
    edited September 2014

Hi ,
    Can anyone help me with how to setup the PTR records for ipv6? Perhaps a tutorial will be helpful , i added
    1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.a.e.b.3.8.c.b.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. IN PTR mydomain.

but it doesnt work

google wont accept the email :( without it

• extremezextremez Member
    edited September 2014

how to add ipv6?

Error: You are not allowed to order. Please contact Online support for more information.

• Please contact Online support for more information.

Contact them.

• @extremez said:
    how to add ipv6?

Error: You are not allowed to order. Please contact Online support for more information.

IPv6 ordering link was good for me :) Have an idling IPv6 block with kidchire :D

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

any body from online.net

could you please reply to Ticket #239257

its 2 days since i havent got response

• agentmishra said: its 2 days since i havent got response

It's weekend, just wait until tomorrow

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

Where are the HDDs kept in this enclosure?

• @kcaj

2.5" drives in each box

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

@mikeyur They sit on top of the motherboard? So the image you've posted above is 2 servers?

• @kcaj Correct. That's the top and bottom of 2 servers. It's from the online.net sales page

• mikeyur said: Correct. That's the top and bottom of 2 servers. It's from the online.net sales page

That makes complete sense to me now you've explained it. I was previously looking at that image being 2 servers parallel to each other. It's obvious to me that one is upside down now. Thanks ;)

• Anyone want to resell one to me for 200% profit(6E) or trade for KS-1 n-2800?

• imho the ks-1 at 5euro with 500gb is on par with an online.net with 160gb.

Lucky are those users which have both.