Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,99€ dedicated server ? - Page 37
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1,99€ dedicated server ?

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2014

@rm_ It sometimes feels like a primary school, but it's my company. The fish always stinks from the head, I guess... ;-)

Thanked by 2netomx tux
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Amitz said:
    It sometimes feels like a primary school, but it's my company.

I know that feeling,bro hahaha

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Do you use the OwnCloud app for Android? Is it any good?

• I just (we all) use the iOS version. No complaints.

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited September 2014

@hostnoob said:
    Do you use the OwnCloud app for Android? Is it any good?

It's very basic, not a great deal of thought went into it. It works, that's about it.

• To be honest, I favourised Seafile at first. But we had so many problems with syncing large amounts of data (and with the mobile clients), that OwnCloud was the better solution in the end.

• @Caveman122 said:

I was just wondering because ownCloud is free but they charge for the app lol.

• hostnoob said: I was just wondering because ownCloud is free but they charge for the app lol.

Y'know android makes it very easy to try before you buy. Wouldn't take a few mins to download an APK and see how it compares to Dropbox for you :P

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

Android version works fine

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Y'know android makes it very easy to try before you buy. Wouldn't take a few mins to download an APK and see how it compares to Dropbox for you :P

Yeah I thought about that, but you never know if it's been modified so they can get the password/IP of your cloud server.

I remember when some people modded an APK for a texting app, which sent out a text to everyone on their contact list saying "I download apps illegally" lol, very awkward in some cases.

• What, guys - We are talking about an EUR 0.89 app. At least that is the iOS price. You really pirate stuff in that price range? Ah, well... LET, I forgot! ;-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Amitz said:
    What, guys - We are talking about an EUR 0.89 app. At least that is the iOS price. You really pirate stuff in that price range? Ah, well... LET, I forgot! ;-)

You're saying that in the thread about a 2€ dedi

Thanked by 4Amitz rm_ tux user123
  • @xDutchy said:
    You're saying that in the thread about a 2€ dedi

Yes, I thought the same right after I pressed that 'Post Comment' button... :-)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Amitz said:
    What, guys - We are talking about an EUR 0.89 app. At least that is the iOS price. You really pirate stuff in that price range? Ah, well... LET, I forgot! ;-)

And the worst part: there are FREE apps for Owncloud!

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2014

I saw those EUR 0.89 as real small donation to a working and useful free OpenSource software solution that saves me from Dropbox. It was more than worth it from that perspective.

Thanked by 2netomx tux
  • And you can always compile your own version of the app. It is Open Source...

• Who charges for the app? I've always downloaded it for free on the App Store?

• @kcaj said:
    Who charges for the app? I've always downloaded it for free on the App Store?

• This thread reminded me that I had a online net set server so was going to setup a mirror of my own cloud/plex setup.

Can't log in, connection refused.

I log into the panel, the server is locked for an outgoing IP flood.

Arse.

• @Nekki said:
    This thread reminded me that I had a online net set server so was going to setup a mirror of my own cloud/plex setup.

Arse.

You have been haxxored!!!!!!!111!

• 0xdragon said: You have been haxxored!!!!!!!111!

I don't seem to be having much luck these days, that's 2 servers in a week.

• Yikes. New security settings needed or maybe shut the server down when its idling?

• @Nekki said:
    I don't seem to be having much luck these days, that's 2 servers in a week.

Consider getting a ~$25 one of these:

And using:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/32169/script-single-factor-hybrid-authentication-with-pam-and-a-yubikey

• sumo said: Yikes. New security settings needed or maybe shut the server down when its idling?

Yeh, I literally installed the OS and got sidetracked, didn't do anything on it.

Although I'm betting I get it back up an nothing's been done at at all.

• 0xdragon said: Consider getting a ~$25 one of these:

Nah, one wasn't secured at all, they other got raped via Feathur.

• That sucks. Hope you'll have better luck soon.

I was concerned someone may hack into my servers since I'll be in the middle of a few things for a bit so I shut the ones I haven't applied security measures down until I have time to get to them.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited September 2014

@Nekki said:
    Nah, one wasn't secured at all, they other got raped via Feathur.

Ah, makes sense. Personally I haven't had a single VPS hacked, guess I'm lucky or my security is paranoid.

• @Nekki said:
    This thread reminded me that I had a online net set server so was going to setup a mirror of my own cloud/plex setup.

Arse.

Yeah apparently people got bombarded with SSH login attempts as soon as you install an OS

• @Amitz said:
    I saw those EUR 0.89 as real small donation to a working and useful free OpenSource software solution that saves me from Dropbox. It was more than worth it from that perspective.

Yeah but if I buy it and it sucks I probably won't use it and ownCloud. I'd then rather I donated the EUR 0.89 to Cancer Research.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2014

@hostnoob said:
    Yeah apparently people got bombarded with SSH login attempts as soon as you install an OS

Fer fux ache. Well, they took this months payment even though I was suspended, so here's hoping they decide to unsuspend the server in the morning when the techs get in.