Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,99€ dedicated server ? - Page 33
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1,99€ dedicated server ?

Comments

• @rm_ said:
    Btw here is a pic of these servers, 12 fit in a 2U enclosure:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/15/dell_does_via_nano/

Nice, I'm more than happy with mine xD

• @rm_ said:

Interesting,

2000 units / 12 units = 166 x 2U chassis = 333U space
    333U / 48U = 7 full racks

Not that much space taken after all.

• @rm_ said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/15/dell_does_via_nano/

All that space wasted in the back though, or does something else go there? Harddrives?

• @hostnoob said:
    All that space wasted in the back though, or does something else go there? Harddrives?

power supply?

As i saw.. HDD not go to the back.

• @ZweiTiger said:

maybe he means empty space besides power suply,is it left empty or they can add more server

• @robohost said:
    maybe he means empty space besides power suply,is it left empty or they can add more server

Sure :)

I got one i run InterWorx on it. Really impressed about the quality at this price range.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

And here's at online.net:

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • @rm_ said:
    And here's at online.net:

so this kidechire not even take full of 1 line of rack at the end

• @ZweiTiger said:

I meant the space next to the PSU

• @Weblogics said: I managed to get 3 of the 1,99€ servers on the first day of the sale. I then had trouble getting any OS installed on the 3rd server (even after letting it run the install overnight.) Today Online.net support finally managed to get an OS installed, albeit not the one I wanted, but close enough.

This afternoon, I purchased one of their 9,99€ dedicated servers and now having the same issue in trying to get an OS installed. As before, the progression status on the website, displays the install stuck at the "Start dedibox" phase with the spinning busy icon. I thought it may be a browser cache issue and not refreshing properly but I logged on with another pc in a completely separate network, but it is still stuck on the "Start dedibox"

I know I will probably have to open a new support ticket but has anyone else had any issues getting the OS installed on the online.net servers?

@0xdragon said:
    Their install servers are being hammered.

@zhuanyi said:
    Have you tried to ping and SSH into the box after an hour-ish or so? I noticed sometimes it is just their webpage not being refreshed properly however the installation process continues.

Neither of these were the issue. Today, Online.net support switched me over to new servers and on both, the OS installed without a hitch.

• @Weblogics said:
    Neither of these were the issue. Today, Online.net support switched me over to new servers and on both, the OS installed without a hitch.

Probably a hardware failure then.

• @Caveman122 said:
    2000 units / 12 units = 166 x 2U chassis = 333U space 333U / 48U = 7 full racks

The post also suggested power would be under 4000 watts per rack, and Google/Wikipedia suggested France electricity to be about $0.1939/kWh.

7 racks x 4 kW x 720 hours/month x $0.1939 = $3909 = ~ €3000.
    Revenue on 2000 units assumption would be €4000.

As the hardware are old and probably had paid for their original cost, there's likely some small operating profit compared to letting them idle and still taking up DC space. And don't forget the massive marketing value!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @DalComp said:

From the picture posted, most like 11 racks. The CEO has posted here that the electricity cost ~ €2 and the over all cost is ~ €4 per server.

• @DalComp said:
    As the hardware are old and probably had paid for their original cost, there's likely some small operating profit compared to letting them idle and still taking up DC space. And don't forget the massive marketing value!

don't forget transaction fees.

• @Caveman122 said:
    From the picture posted, most like 11 racks. The CEO has posted here that the electricity cost ~ €2 and the over all cost is ~ €4 per server.

I must have missed that post then.

• @DalComp said:
    I must have missed that post then.

Only because I probably read all 20 pages of comments, as they happened. I believe I am going through a 'server phase' of sorts.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Weblogics said: Neither of these were the issue. Today, Online.net support switched me over to new servers and on both, the OS installed without a hitch.

@0xdragon said:
    Probably a hardware failure then.

>

That is what I am thinking. The new servers I am now on, have low hours on the drives!.

9,99€ server

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 52

1,99€ server

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 094 094 000 Old_age Always - 2630

• @Weblogics said:
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 094 094 000 Old_age Always - 2630`

wow, your 1,99€ server only have 2630 hours? our's commonly have 20k ~ 30k+

Thanked by 2netomx ahmiq
  • @hotsnow said:

Yes. I was kind of surprised by that number.

On the flip side, my other 2 - 1,99€ servers have 30k+ hours each:

36472 hours
    and
    36542 hours respectively.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • Hey @Joodle how is that 2008R2 image going my friend?

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Hey Joodle how is that 2008R2 image going my friend?

I haven't got it to work yet, still trying out a lot of things

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @hotsnow said:

32275, 32271 (these two are right next to each other), 34009, and 32871 for me.

These two right next to each other have load cycle counts of 1845172 and 1850545, respectively. lol. nfc what the hell person was doing here, the other two are under 1000

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

1000th comment. I need to get a server.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MrGeneral said:
    1000th comment. I need to get a server.

1001th epic comment: too late

Thanked by 2sandro Monsta_AU
  • Lol, was anyone else wondering who was supposed to be photoshopped into that pic before you realised it was a real photo? I thought it was the old photo with some guy from a film over it.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Lol, was anyone else wondering who was supposed to be photoshopped into that pic before you realised it was a real photo? I thought it was the old photo with some guy from a film over it.

I love your comment :-) Thats mean that our datacenters are to beautiful to be real
    Thank you Thomas :)

(and no, thats real photos, you can get a lot of thems on google and from our customers)

• @abermingham
    I am using your server under this promotion. I absolutely loved your panel and your real support for such a cheap service.
    I guess, your promotion worked. If I ever needed anything more powerful to run my simulations, you'll be my obvious first choice.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@guitarfire said:
    abermingham
    I am using your server under this promotion. I absolutely loved your panel and your real support for such a cheap service.

Yeah.

The "this is unmanaged but we will offer support if something is wrong" was very generous from then, since a public forum isn't real support at all.

I don't think Oles was so happy about it ;)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Nyr said: Yeah.

The "this is unmanaged but we will offer support if something is wrong" was very generous from then, since a public forum isn't real support at all.

I don't think Oles was so happy about it ;)

+1 - I don't count on using support for the server unless there is a hardware issue. Just knowing it is there though is a massive bonus.