Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing a brand name? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choosing a brand name?

13»

Comments

• @vladimir I have tried different text-to-speech tools as well but I can't find the issue. Can you explain more for me? (I'm not a native English person) Thanks a lot.

• ValdVald Member
    edited July 2014

@MichaelBui

ok man I will break it down for ya

• Its hard to pronounce it right, you need to twist your tongue to get it right, which for non native speakers is hard (not the twisting part).

• After i hear how it sounds and try to write it down with 1000 tries, even if my head depends on it, it will roll off my shoulders.

• They really sound like female names, ex. for xoosu - Zuzu or Zuzy (dont google it*).

and last all that above makes it looks unprofessional, at least for me.
    X.O.O.S.U is a different story but then its too long for what it is, maybe just XOSU would be better.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

@Nekki said:
    So it's fair to say you were shoved out of the hosting market?

no.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@shovenose said:
    no.

You're no fun.

• Guys, I'm so confused... :(

Did you ever think in 19xx that Google, Yahoo, Skype,... are good names, honestly?

• souensouen Member
    edited July 2014

A few thoughts:

With the Google, Yahoo and Skype examples, they are easy to spell.

• Google - the name is whimsical but fairly easily to pronounce clearly. The logo is colourful and reflects the casual image of the company
    • Yahoo - actually an English word, maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek according to other definitions of the word
    • Skype - shortened from "Sky peer-to-peer", related to their p2p protocol/service

That aside, the name is important, but it's only one element of a brand. There's little background provided so far. What kind of image are you trying to present about your startup/services? Who is your audience? What sets your startup apart from other existing mail/search/social networks?

Currently without any info all the options sound very generic, it doesn't help that the names come from a random generator and can be misheard/misspelled easily ("was it xeesy, zeezy or zeexy?") As a result, some people here are trying to relate to the names and drawing a blank.

A suggestion would be to set out the selling points of the service or keywords that describe the business behind it, then brainstorm names/build the brand around it.

• Thanks @souen :) I totally agree with you!

I am asking here because I want to make sure when a name is pronounced, it will not be similar to any bad words and when written, it looks good.

Thanks all, I think I will go with XOOSU :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MichaelBui said:
    Thanks souen :) I totally agree with you!

I am asking here because I want to make sure when a name is pronounced, it will not be similar to any bad words and when written, it looks good.

Thanks all, I think I will go with XOOSU :)

Pronounced Zoo-Su?

That's the Japanese sound for 'Zorse', which is (of course) a cross between a zebra and a horse.

You could also purchase the zoosu.net.

Hope this helps.

• petrispetris Member

You might want to make sure the letters you're using don't produce any unwanted figures, too. For instance: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1901656/OGC-unveils-new-logo-to-red-faces.html

Thanked by 1Scion
  • ZINNEE sounds cool

• @Nekki Is that bad or good? I think nobody interested in xoosu.net since xoosu.com is purchased :D

@petris I swear I couldn't stop laughing

@SammiRose Thanks but I decided to use xoosu. It may not be the best one but at least it looks & sounds fine.