Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter X5150 Review - What A BS Company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter X5150 Review - What A BS Company

FrankZFrankZ Veteran
edited July 2014 in Reviews

I rented a Delimiter X5150 three weeks ago. Setup time on the server was reasonable, as it only took three days. The server was requested with additional IPv4 and an IPv6 /64. The server was delivered with the extra IPv4 but no IPv6. A ticket requesting an /64 of IPv6 was responded to after 6 days, the IPv6 /64 was added, and worked correctly. The second day after I received the server, it went down due to scheduled maintenance. I ticketed support when my server was still off line a few hours after the scheduled maintenance window I sent a very nicely worked "please reboot my server" ticket as LILO on the server was not working. I received poor response from support says "scheduled maintenance window email was sent out weeks ago". Seems they failed to realize I had only ordered the server a few days before. Server was online again a few minutes later. Although the routing was a bit strange, (Routing from Atlanta to my server in Jacksonville went via New York and then LAX and took 113ms, regularly) Things went pretty well with the server for about a week..

Failed 2014-07-14 12:31:01 · 4 hours ago
Failed 2014-07-14 06:30:01 · 10 hours ago
Failed 2014-07-14 00:29:01 · 16 hours ago
Failed 2014-07-13 15:44:02 · 1 day ago
Failed 2014-07-06 21:47:01 · 9 days ago
Failed 2014-07-05 13:20:01 · 10 days ago

Last night I received an server down alert and an email from Delimiter at almost the same time. Email said....

We have received complaints that your server is being used for outbound port scanning. This is in violation of section 3 of our Terms of Service which you read and accepted during the sign process.

>

Your server has been taken offline to prevent further damage and disruption.

>

Using the Remote console built into your server, please login to your server, shutdown and remove any port scanning software that maybe running on it.

>

Once this has been taken care of, please open a ticket and request your server is reactivated.

>

Best
Phil

I opened a ticket 15 mins later saying that I did not have any port scanning going on and to please clarify the "complaints", with who, what, when info as there is nothing on the server that is in violation of their TOS. That was about 20 hours ago, there has been no response, the server is still shut down, LILO is inaccessible. I expect I have paid for a server for three months and will only get to use it 3 weeks. I also expect the abuse complaints are from before I received the server three weeks ago, and Delimiter just sees it as a way to resell the server again.

I'm moving on from Delimiter as the server has been down too much, the network is so so, the support is arrogant and uncaring, and I ended up paying $66 for three weeks on a x5150. Not a great deal. I would call Delimiter an overall bad experience, that I suggest you avoid.

Your Delimiter customer service response time
  1. 60 mins or less29 votes
    1. 1 to 3 hrs
      24.14%
    2. 3 to 8 hrs
        3.45%
    3. 8 hrs to 1 day
        6.90%
    4. more then 1 day
      65.52%

Comments

• Maybe your box was compromised. Would certainly make a lot more sense.

@MarkTurner

Thanked by 2netomx MarkTurner
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I do think so, mine has been flawless*

*except for the small downtime they had some weeks ago

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@0xdragon - doubt it. I do know how to secure a server

• wychwych Member

What is ticket response like for you guys? Tempted to pick one up.

@wych said:

Emailing Steve is SLOW based on my experience for MArk helped me setuping it. After that, I haven't raised any ticket, as my servers are working as they should.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@wych said:

Quick, friendly, easy going. Just don't open crap tickets, you know, like most providers. I assume if you bug them to death about things that aren't their problem, like any other provider you'll soon have a complaint about their ticket handling. A "please " and "thank you" go a long way.

@Jar said:
    Quick, friendly, easy going. Just don't open crap tickets, you know, like most providers. I assume if you bug them to death about things that aren't their problem, like any other provider you'll soon have a complaint about their ticket handling. A "please " and "thank you" go a long way.

Indeed. As a little bit offtopic (talking about the please and thank you) I have raised several tickets to GVH, that company that a lot of people hate, that they say that their director is not even putting words about him, and I include the words "please" and "thank you", and they response politely. I don't really know how rude people can be, and expect good responses.

Thanked by 2jar 8420PR
  • wychwych Member

Thanks guys! ;)

In fairness to the OP I do prefer when any abuse notifications are forwarded, even more so if the box is being suspended/limited.

Thanked by 2FrankZ aglodek
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@wych - thank you for seeing the major point.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@FrankZ if that is the case either they picked it up internally (unlikley) or they got an abuse report, in either case they should be able to provide logs or the original report, I assume you asked for this?

Side note, you can try to secure your server all you want, simply dismissing the possibility is a little silly, how do you know the rILO/DRAC etc does not have exploitable firmware, or you got hit with a 0day exploit before you ever logged in just through dumb luck?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

said: Your server has been taken offline to prevent further damage and disruption.

Portscan ≠ damage. It's just silly how so many providers cry about it.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@Nyr said:
    Portscan ≠ damage. It's just silly how so many providers cry about it.

Not sure I understand (genuinely) what you mean? are you saying port scanning is fine? or it can be malicious but its no reason to insta-kill a server?

• To me, the suspension of a box without any actual detail about what is going on is somewhat of a concern. I would expect that sort of behaviour out of some other providers on LET.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
    edited July 2014

@Monsta_AU said:
    To me, the suspension of a box without any actual detail about what is going on is somewhat of a concern. I would expect that sort of behaviour out of some other providers on LET.

But then they log onto your box to figure out what is going on and it's a privacy violation. There's literally no action a provider can take in any situation that will not incite a complaint by someone on LET.

"It's port scanning" ...this is totally a valid explanation of what is happening by someone who has not accessed the OS directly.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@AnthonySmith - I monitor all server traffic from other locations and did/do not see any unusual activity leading up to the shutdown. I would expect that you would agree, that shutting down a server due to abuse, without specific details of the abuse, and then not responding to the ticket regarding it, is poor customer service.
    Is it possible that the server was exploited, sure, but a shutdown with no details or follow-up it not the right way to handle it.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Not sure I understand (genuinely) what you mean? are you saying port scanning is fine? or it can be malicious but its no reason to insta-kill a server?

Yeah, generally speaking I think it's fine.

Anyway, one thing is responsible port scanning (even if unwanted by the destination) and a different one is sending tens of hundreds of undesired PPS to a network, I think it's a bit of common sense.

I also think that disconnecting a dedicated server for just port scanning is a bit harsh, but I don't know the circumstances and if the TOS are broken you shouldn't be surprised either.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Jar said - There's literally no action a provider can take in any situation that will not incite a complaint by someone on LET.

Hi pot, kettle ;)

Nyr said: a different one is sending tens of hundreds of undesired PPS to a network, I think it's a bit of common sense.

Yep thats what I was thinking :)

@FrankZ said:
    AnthonySmith - I monitor all server traffic from other locations and did/do not see any unusual activity leading up to the shutdown. I would expect that you would agree, that shutting down a server due to abuse, without specific details of the abuse, and then not responding to the ticket regarding it, is poor customer service.
    Is it possible that the server was exploited, sure, but a shutdown with no details or follow-up it not the right way to handle it.

100% agree, communication is key

Thanked by 1FrankZ

@FrankZ said:
    Hi pot, kettle ;)

I'm not entirely sure you know how to use that phrase :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Hi pot, kettle ;)

@Jar
    We are both normally positive about providers, not negative. I have only made one other negative comment about a provider and probably 100 positive ones. I really don't think my 2% bitch rate is high enough to put me in a different category then you. If Delimiter would have responded and worked with me, there never would have been a issue.

Thanked by 1jar

@FrankZ said:
    We are both normally positive about providers, not negative. I have only made one other negative comment about a provider and probably 100 positive ones. I really don't think my 2% bitch rate is high enough to put me in a different category then you. If Delimiter would have responded and worked with me, there never would have been a issue.

Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of bitching, just saying...there's really no winning on LET. You can only please half of the people here half of the time and, at best, not incite the rest if you're lucky. No matter what you do, as a provider, someone here will have a passionate complaint about it.

• SadySady Member

I also have fucking bad experience with them,
    Ordered one server 4 days ago, under review, passed review, /28 jutified, paid, order cancelled (i didn't passed their review), 4 days past, neither got any response nor refund.

Refund will be in 2 weeks, just email steve every 2 daya

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2014

@netomx said: Refund will be in 2 weeks, just email steve every 2 daya

I am glad I was not expecting a refund ...

EDIT: Now I understand where I went wrong. I used the ticket system, I should have been emailing Steve instead.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • SadySady Member

@netomx said:
    Refund will be in 2 weeks, just email steve every 2 daya

Why i will have to wait for 2 weeks while they cancelled my order in 2 hours.
    Already sending mails to Steve.

@StephenIzzy said:
    Already sending mails to Steve.

I don't just fucking know. I asked for a refund once and 2 weeks later, I had it.

Thanked by 1Wira_Soenaryo
  • lazytlazyt Member

Bean counters have to make sure there are beans to count before counting any out.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • SadySady Member

@netomx said:
    I don't just fucking know. I asked for a refund once and 2 weeks later, I had it.

But i want that in next few hours as i want to go with another provider, i can not play hide & seek with them.

@StephenIzzy said:
    But i want that in next few hours as i want to go with another provider, i can not play hide & seek with them.

Buy new product, later receive refund.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • talsittalsit Member

I've always had good support from them. The only issues I ran in to were when I opened tickets under the wrong topic. On the ticket system the have something about dedicated support, ips, etc, I submitted an IP request under the dedicated support ticket, after a day I bumped the ticket and one of the techs took care of it, apologized profusely and let me know next time to open it under IP request so it went to the right department.

There has been a noticeable improvement in their support the last few months too, not sure if they are hiring on more folks or just making sure they address customer tickets quicker but I've had responses in 30 minutes for things I marked as low priority. I'm happy, YMMV.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
This discussion has been closed.