Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlienVPS shouldn't be allowed to advertise here - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlienVPS shouldn't be allowed to advertise here

Comments

• shrubblesshrubbles Member
    edited July 2014

I hate those people arguing for control everywhere, LET is not USSR. If you want some people to decide what you can do or not go to North Korea and be happy.

And I think most of the shitty hostings deserve some chances if they improve their services or you are dumb enough.

• It's the same old argument about "doing your research". Fine. Some of us are (almost) indiscriminately buying cheap hosts and some will disappear, that is easy to accept.

But if we're talking about hosts that aren't even hosts (i.e. no hosting given) then surely there's a distinction to be made. At that point, it seems you'd be willing to accept any advertising here as long as they look like a web host.

If the barrier is that low, I'll just source them from elsewhere with less garbage around.

Thanked by 1Vald
  • ValdVald Member

@Maounique Why you are here posting on the forum?
    To learn and help others. If you are non productive just go to google and do your research the way you said it, you dont need to post here, or this is your diary and you are writing your thoughts every day?

@shrubbles we are not talking about shitty hosts, we are talking about scam hosts so everything you have said is invalid.

@ricardo thumbs up

• ricardo said: But if we're talking about hosts that aren't even hosts (i.e. no hosting given) then surely there's a distinction to be made. At that point, it seems you'd be willing to accept any advertising here as long as they look like a web host.

They've been around for a long time, it's not like they never provide services. This is terrible, shitty service but it's not a scam. It's an error or an oversight.

Look at OPs screenshot. Two months between "install ubuntu for me" and "server is down". Obviously they received service.

ricardo said: If the barrier is that low, I'll just source them from elsewhere with less garbage around.

I'd rather not have you than have you moan about the same thing ad nauseam. If you can't be arsed to google then you deserve to loose every penny, especially after the number of times you've been over this now.

• Well your requirement for whatever it is you do may be 2 or 3 hosts and that's fine. You pick the ones that the community spout undenying love for and you won't have a problem.

If you're after hundreds of hosts you will come into this problem more often. Do you have direct experience of this?

Basically all you're implying in your post is that the hosts around here are generally crap and that it's people's fault for buying them.

• ricardo said: Well your requirement for whatever it is you do may be 2 or 3 hosts and that's fine. You pick the ones that the community spout undenying love for and you won't have a problem.

Pretty much. You can still get burned but it'll happen less often.

If you're after hundreds of hosts you will come into this problem more often. Do you have direct experience of this?

Yes, many years ago I thought it was worth it to save a few $$. It's not. Your time is money and the time it takes to restore what was lost or the time you spend fixing it in tickets is worth way more than the $1 or $2 savings for unstable specs.

Basically all you're implying in your post is that the hosts around here are generally crap and that it's people's fault for buying them.

Couldn't of worded that part better myself, basically all of them are garbage. There's a few worth going with and I sing their praises often.

It's not all about new or old either, once you're used to doing the research you'll be able to pick up with a pretty good success rate who is going to succeed and who isn't by looking at the way they talk to people, the uniqueness of their service, the funding or people behind it and the prices of their plans.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2014

So you're agreeing there's many useless providers at LET that basically this is a big time wasting exercise?

• SpiritSpirit Member

I was their client from 08/29/2011 to 02/28/2014.
    Experience with server: mostly up and running
    Experience with staff: almost nonexistent

As long everything work as it should there's mostly no issue with this host (and NY1 node was damn stable), but god help you when something go wrong. Their extremely slow (it can take a weeks) support response was main reason why I finally cancelled service with them.

Crappy host, but not scam - that's my experience. Everything about them was written numerous times. @vladimir and @ricardo what's your experience with them? Did they just stole your money or something?

• I put up a thread about these guys a few months ago.
    Purchased a VPS... waited a week, created a ticket, waited another 2 weeks without reply, charged back and got the money back. If there's no quality control on those ads then I won't be clicking on them.

It'd be interesting to hear the difference between "crappy host" and "scam". I suppose a cut-n-shut car is "crappy" but "scammy" by another person's definition.

I'll leave you chaps to it and your researching of providers. With a bit port scanning, and WHOIS of IPs and digging of domains you can build up a really nice list of providers. IIRC I found 12,000 last time I tried it. I guess that list is no worse or no better than anything put out here.

• ricardo said: So you're agreeing there's many useless providers at LET that basically this is a big time wasting exercise?

No? I agree they're crap but I don't think the staff here have to dedicate their lives to making sure you don't pis away your money. As well as an open market unless you've been openly scamming there's also open discussion here and a search function so you're also free to share experiences and find out what other people think of them.

If you want somewhat vetted offers, go to LowEndBox or start your own highly moderated forum. Bad providers were advertising here before you came and they'll be advertising here after you leave too, it's the natural order of things here, the same way it's natural for impulsive idiots to lose their money.

There's a wealth of bad experiences and fall outs here and on every other hosting forum on the web. It is your fault for not knowing the industry but expecting to pay bare minimum pricing.

Want to be sure they're reliable? Put the cash up and go with someone like WiredTree, RackSpace etc. It's a trade off.

• ValdVald Member

@Spirit said:
    I was their client from 08/29/2011 to 02/28/2014.
    Experience with server: mostly up and running
    Experience with staff: almost nonexistent

As long everything work as it should there's mostly no issue with this host (and NY1 node was damn stable), but god help you when something go wrong. Their extremely slow (it can take a weeks) support response was main reason why I finally cancelled service with them.

Crappy host, but not scam - that's my experience. Everything about them was written numerous times. vladimir and ricardo what's your experience with them? Did they just stole your money or something?

Did you read any of my post, I have not even once mentioned their name/company, the conversations flared after someone said its alright to have scam host in the advertising section.

• ValdVald Member

AThomasHowe said: Want to be sure they're reliable? Put the cash up and go with someone like WiredTree, RackSpace etc. It's a trade off.

Just so you know, when DO came out I heard the same thing, there must be a catch, its unreliable for production, its this or that. Now people are swearing in it. So no need to go to RackSpace or WiredTree and throw unnecessarily money for stability trade.

• vladimir said: Just so you know, when DO came out I heard the same thing, there must be a catch, its unreliable for production, its this or that. Now people are swearing in it. So no need to go to RackSpace or WiredTree and throw unnecessarily money for stability trade.

DigitalOcean had a unique service at the time, it was obvious they wouldn't disappear overnight. Add to that the $3.2Million they raised last year in funding and almost $40Million they have raised this year through venture capital and it's pretty easy to see why you should trust DigitalOcean over someone like AlienVPS.

Once you get used to doing research you should also develop your bullshit radar.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • ValdVald Member
    edited July 2014

@AThomasHowe DO didn't have that the 3.2M raised at that time, and how would you separate a unique service from scam then?
    I think its easier to unwrap the shit and wrap it in a new fancy package and someone will buy it for sure.

research aside
    This is a hosting community and scams should not be promoted through it, just like you dont promote malware trough a security community. End of story.

And as the moderator confirmed scam is not allowed in the ads section, no need for you or anybody else to claim anymore that we need to do our research before we press the ad link.

• SpiritSpirit Member

vladimir said: I have not even once mentioned their name/company, the conversations flared after someone said its alright to have scam host in the advertising section.

Who said that?

• AThomasHowe, I'd like to hear more about how you went about buying lots of hosts, it'd be interesting. TBH though I get the impression from your responses that you're winging it in your replies.

I think vladimir has it right, in my opinion.

• ValdVald Member

vladimir said: Did they just stole your money or something?

I think this was pretty self explanatory, and if you have read my previous posts you would not make such a dick post.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2014

vladimir said: And as the moderator confirmed scam is not allowed in the ads section, no need for you or anybody else to claim anymore that we need to do our research before we press the ad link.

So do you expect from site administration to have on their desk financial report, know background, and so on... of every company which advertise here and vouch for their service and quality?
    I am sorry, but no one on internet will do this work for you.
    The same is with "z0mg, that's scam" screamers - it's just about personal experience. Write it, introduce it here, but don't expect from forum staff to intervene in your personal affairs. We simply can't be judge and jury in every private matter.

I will quote one of my older posts for better understanding:

Personally as a forum administrator I am not sure if I want to be the judge and the jury in disputes happened out of forum. With broken forum rules are things clear, but holding responsibility for acting against things non directly related to forum just isn't something I would want to. This does not mean that we ignore attempts of a scam operations at forum. What I am saying is that I am against involving forum staff into your personal non forum related disputes by duty and ban people at forum because your bad business experience with them.

As a forum member, reader, I actually want people to come here, to explain their side of a story. Community have more than enough opportunities to expose potential scammer, incompetence and bad business practise, to discuss, to warn people. From there on everyone makes own choice and decide what to believe.
    Of course some people will ignore all warnings, try their luck disregarding of all community warnings and at the end lose their money, but that's their own choice.

vladimir said: dick post.

This dick post was because it seems like you made a decision about things you're not familiar with and preach them as a fact. Anyway, there's no one who can guarantee for 3rd party companies - is this so hard to understand? All what you (and I) have are reviews from a people who actually use those service. This is what this comuniy is about. From there you're on your own.
    If you purchase from them or don't.. I don't care. It's your money. Your responsibility. But I will appreciate if you write review later for the rest of us who actually do some homework before we spend our hard earned money. Like said - that's what this community is about.

• vladimir said: @AThomasHowe DO didn't have that the 3.2M raised at that time, and how would you separate a unique service from scam then? I think its easier to unwrap the shit and wrap it in a new fancy package and someone will buy it for sure.

Custom panel, hourly billing at low end prices, lots of locations, people experienced in the industry

research aside This is a hosting community and scams should not be promoted through it, just like you dont promote malware trough a security community. End of story.

That's true, but...

And as the moderator confirmed scam is not allowed in the ads section, no need for you or anybody else to claim anymore that we need to do our research before we press the ad link.

...you're not describing scam hosts, you're describing shitty hosts. You can't not provide services here and run off with peoples money. You can give shitty support, shitty service and shitty uptime.

ricardo said: AThomasHowe, I'd like to hear more about how you went about buying lots of hosts, it'd be interesting. TBH though I get the impression from your responses that you're winging it in your replies.

I think vladimir has it right, in my opinion.

Let's go through some of your bad experiences. For a start you've had shitty service with AlienVPS for a while. This is proof AlienVPS aren't worth your time, look at peoples replies in that thread.

Issues with BlueVM.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/17528/soo-bluevm-is-down-again
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/653533/#Comment_653533
    Comments in this thread http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/645787/#Comment_645787
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/644893/#Comment_644893

These guys aren't a scam by far but it's clear you shouldn't be hosting your production stuff on them.

Fastbox.net

Almost nothing on these guys but stuff about free hosting... but let's look at their site.

http://www.fastboxes.net/vpshosting.php

All the plans are the same? Or they don't care about their site? Probably not a good choice then. It's at least been this way for weeks, probably longer.

LowEnd.co

We all could have done more research on this one but Michael had deadpooled before.

Considering hostfly.in

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1157658

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1056594

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1045140

Not to mention you have 70 boxes as per that thread. These are just from your posted threads.

What providers do I use? Inception/LowEndSpirit (and I guess Ransom IT), i83, Vultr, SecureDragon, DigitalOcean, a free box at Virtua Club and one box that's meh over at GVH that I picked up knowing what I was getting in for.

Some of these threads may not have existed when you went with them but they were just examples, you should do more research. Don't expect people to hold your hand every step of the way, you're an adult with control and responsibility for your own money.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Alienvps = Scam.

• To rewind it a little, several members here have signed up to AlienVPS and has ranged from not getting a service at all, to poor quality service, to no service at all after X amount of time.

The OP has suggested they shouldn't be allowed to advertise because clearly, they're not up to the job (unless someone has a use for a host that has nowhere near 90% uptime). I think they have a fair point in suggesting this.

The prevailing answer is "do your research" or "don't expect others to do it for you". Well we're dealing with direct experience of people using this host. Obviously for people to "do their research" they require people with direct experience. Obvious logic there.

• ValdVald Member
    edited July 2014

@Spirit Ok to end this, I was not posting about the host (that's why i gave you a tip to read my previous posts), I posted about the member who said its ok to have scam running in the ads.

hope this makes it clear.

• souensouen Member

A potential problem is that people might see the ads as implicit endorsement from the site (these providers are legitimate, you can consider them for your next vps needs) and the sometimes grey area between incompetence and scam (e.g. a week or more delay before provisioning, in the meantime the neglected customer doesn't know how long to wait or has already gone to a forum and called scam. If the customer waited long enough maybe he'll eventually receive vps, it goes on record as poor support. If he made a chargeback, no vps, is it a scam?)

Generally I think people should check for reviews before purchase. Considering the DIY element to unmanaged services, I would have expected most of the audience to already do this. However, it may be in the interests of LEB to feature providers with (mostly) good reputations, at least on LE*, as poor service of providers advertised could reflect negatively on LEB by association (one or a few mediocre or suspect ones and people become wary of the ones they haven't heard of on display, maybe less likely to click.)

I haven't checked, but if LEB already has a standard disclaimer sort of statement to cover itself (basically, the hosts in articles or any advertising are provided as a directory service, use at your own risk, we encourage you to give feedback on any of the providers, etc.) then it's not the website's fault if people went straight in without getting others' feedback or checking the provider TOS.

• SpiritSpirit Member

vladimir said: I posted about the member who said its ok to have scam running in the ads.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I really couldn't find this statement by anyone.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Coca-cola is harmful for your health, yet there are no restrictions in advertising it (might be now, I am out of the loop for some time). Not to mention mcdonalds or many other junk food joints.
    I am also against the restrictions on tobacco advertising, after all, if people pay those taxes, the health system will not be cheated, so I lose nothing and it is their right to kill themselves.
    Advertising should be allowed for everything, here it is allowed even for some OTC drugs and they tout some painkillers to be "with the maximum concentration available without a prescription". I would allow heroin advertising, it is everyone's right to destroy their life and health, as long as there are sources where you can check the truth, after all, every ad is a lie of some sort, let Darwin work. Who is too stupid to live, should die, not be a drag on my taxes, may them OD happy.

I don't believe we've ever been in such strong agreement.

Thanked by 2Maounique lazyt
  • ValdVald Member
    edited July 2014

@souen We understand that, but when you go to a community who exposes and bust's scam do you expect them to advertise scam in the ads? Sure no, you can do your research about the service quality but its not acceptable to have KNOWN scam in the ads.

As for this provider, I dont know the rules on let about entitling someone as scam but if this provider is confirmed as one at some point I hope the link form the ads will be removed.

• souensouen Member

vladimir said: We understand that, but when you go to a community who exposes and bust's scam do you expect them to advertise scam in the ads? Sure no, you can do your research about the service quality but its not acceptable to have KNOWN scam in the ads.

This is where it slips into grey area and criteria for what will be considered a "scam". The ones "busted" are often ones where there is evidence (inconsistent provider information, multiple identities to make it look like different people operating and other such practices) to mark the company as highly suspect. As others have noted, I doubt LEB would knowingly feature such providers.

More often, it's just a few negative voices, or one person's claim against another, is it enough? There are also people who see that feedback and still take the risk anyway. The most LE* could probably do is make the data and feedback available and let people decide.

• LEBs are risky. There ARE some top notch providers and anyone is free to pick one and enjoy. Linode, ramnode, etc, you name.

• LET's Advertising Sidebar, is like Craigslist

LET's Quarterly Top Providers Poll, is like CARFAX

• Mark_RMark_R Member

If repeatedly negative feedback gets spread about a specific provider in one of the ads then wouldn't it be wise to disallow them to advertise further? Providing shitty hosting services ruins the paid-for expected experience for a customer, it is not weird that people will feel ripped-off/scammed in such case. Nobody likes a bad service right?