Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenValueHost hacked, data stolen - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenValueHost hacked, data stolen

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AlexanderM said: Won't be free now your personal data from their database is leaked on the www

Did that happen? I thought it was only some Solus admin accounts

• edited June 2014

http://prntscr.com/3w1dfu

Jon took a pic of the convo with timestamps. As you can see there is at least a 45 minute delay, between his get request to dump.sql perhaps longer and telling Jon it existed - timezones. Between the get request to dump.sql and telling Jon. - the server was partly rm -rf'd (all /var/log and /etc /bin)

• Please don't take @jack as the bad guy until you actually prove it.
    That's how it's done in the courts and that's how we all should do it. What if he is innocent and was trying to help? He would not deserve to be treated the way he is being treated right now - as a liar.

• @Jack show it then

• @WebSearchingPro Mind if I ask what the Backup-date was/is?

• @MorningIris said:
    WebSearchingPro Mind if I ask what the Backup-date was/is?

I'm told the WHMCS backup was done after @Jack alerted Jon and the server was subsequently powered off. The SolusVM backup is a day old. I believe they are out of sync slightly but that can be resolved.

• @luissousa said:
    Please don't take jack as the bad guy until you actually prove it.
    That's how it's done in the courts and that's how we all should do it. What if he is innocent and was trying to help? He would not deserve to be treated the way he is being treated right now - as a liar.

An innocent person, no matter who they are, tries to download an sql dump and subsequently become confused as to why they did it.

• No email from GVH yet. Would expect something soon.

• @WebSearchingPro so the date is around 22nd or 23rd, would that be a WHMCS backup-date?

• @MorningIris said:
    WebSearchingPro so the date is around 22nd or 23rd, would that be a WHMCS backup-date?

23rd. If need be, we still have the dump.sql too that was made, looks complete.

"-- Dump completed on 2014-06-23 18:13:33"

• @WebSearchingPro so the data is all there since it is very recent backup.

• @Jack said:

Exactly, you had access.

@MorningIris said:
    WebSearchingPro so the data is all there since it is very recent backup.

I believe so yes, some tickets may not be if they were done after that time.

Interesting thing pointed out to me.

-- Dump completed on 2014-06-23 18:13:33
    37.187.22.205 - - [23/Jun/2014:18:13:44 -0500] "GET /dump.sql HTTP/1.1" 200 235469939 "-" "Wget/1.13.4 (linux-gnu)"

Thanked by 1Epidrive
  • @WebSearchingPro said:

37.187.22.205 - - [23/Jun/2014:18:13:44 -0500] "GET /dump.sql HTTP/1.1" 200 235469939 "-" "Wget/1.13.4 (linux-gnu)"

Hate to jump into conclusions but thats pretty much it for me.

• Jack said: [24/06/2014 07:57:00] Jonny: The police came to my house.

Hmmm, he seems to care about GVH really much.

• 37.187.22.205 is Jerk's i.p, and it says what he did...

• -- Dump completed on 2014-06-23 18:13:33

hmm 11 seconds..??

• Although this might have not helped much in this case, setting your server up to email yourself every time someone logs into SSH is a good idea!

http://www.tecmint.com/get-root-ssh-login-email-alerts-in-linux/

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I think hacker is another hosting administrator or anti-GVH user.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

I find it very suspicous that some random person @WebSearchingPro in this case is helping GVH out of nowhere. what if jack is being framed right now? and WebSearchingPro is the real "hacker" ?

that would be a turn of events.

• zionvpszionvps Member
    edited June 2014

i am almost sure someone paid one of the dozens of so called admins of gvh, not surprised since gvh would be paying their admins not more than $50/month

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Or what if this is all a reverse physiological PR campaign.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @HC_Ro said:
    Or what if this is all a reverse physiological PR campaign.

if that is well.. then it is of a great degree

• If I understand correctly, the partition was rf -rf'ed, not dd'ed.

WebSearchingPro said: the server was partly rm -rf'd (all /var/log and /etc /bin)

Could someone explain me why no one has tried to recover /var/log completely using http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/ ? Is it really impossible? Or just not needed?
    When I formatted a partition and later found out that I had some documents there which I shouldn't have deleted, I recovered them easily. though that was on NTFS.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Makenai said:
    If I understand correctly, the partition was rf -rf'ed, not dd'ed.

We were given a .tar file from RamNode support to parse through, so only the files themselves were zipped. The amount of read/writes on an openvz node would make it unlikely to be able to recover if we had access to the physical node.

@Mark_R said:
    I find it very suspicous that some random person WebSearchingPro in this case is helping GVH out of nowhere. what if jack is being framed right now? and WebSearchingPro is the real "hacker" ?

that would be a turn of events.

I've helped GVH in the past, I started helping as its not worth anyone to take their life over a hack regardless of how silly they may be. The original .tar is still there, we only did analysis on extracted portions, if any 3rd parties wish to look. I'm sure that could be arranged.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ upfreak
  • @XxNisseGamerxX said:
    Hmm, site is availble. Anyone know something more?

client area ?

• At this point in time I'm inclined to believe that Jack was not the instigator.

• Will the record reflect that the witness has identified the defendant?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Alright can somebody explain what actually happened? There are so many replies I can't figure out what data was stolen... Was it only SQL data?

• Well at least one good thing came of it. Seem Jon is talking about better security & more frequent backups. So at least there was something learned from this ordeal.

• cassacassa Member

@WebSearchingPro when do you think SolusVM will be connected to the slaves?

This discussion has been closed.