Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenValueHost hacked, data stolen - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenValueHost hacked, data stolen

Comments

• @Boltersdriveer said:
    Immediate press releases about immediate press releases have been banned :o

Can we have "delayed press releases"?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Server still down...

• GunterGunter Member
    edited June 2014

I submitted a ticket requesting a pro rated refund. Let's see if I actually end up receiving it.

I'm prepared to engage in limited legal action (not litigation or a lawsuit) in order to ensure Jon understands that people won't keep tolerating his bullshit. This goes way beyond the small sum of money I've lost on their garbage.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • concerto49 said: Where's the immediate press release thread? :p

Thought that was up GVH's alley.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Gunter said: I submitted a ticket requesting a pro rated refund. Let's see if I actually end up receiving it.

Have done exactly the same thing. Be interesting to see what comes of it.

• petrispetris Member

@GreenValueHost said: ...we are enabling the "Disable MD5 Clients Password" option in WHMCS which will force all clients to request a password reset before they are able to successfully log in to the client area.

I would recommend that no one put anything in here other than a randomly generated password as the following is the documentation on this option:

Disable MD5 Clients Password

For security client area passwords are irreversibly encrypted and cannot be viewed by admins, enabling this option will switch to reversible encryption allowing admins to view the password. When switching from irreversible to reversible clients will all be assigned a new password and will need to use password recovery.

Source: http://docs.whmcs.com/Security_Tab#Disable_MD5_Clients_Password

@GreenValueHost, @GVH_Jaroslav, @GVH_Alex, and other GVH staff, you may want to re-consider this decision and just clear out the password column in WHMCS.

• @petris said:
    GreenValueHost, GVH_Jaroslav, GVH_Alex, and other GVH staff, you may want to re-consider this decision and just clear out the password column in WHMCS.

Yeah, I also noticed this. It's really not a smart move considering you've just had a security incident. MD5 already isn't secure enough anymore, but moving back to plain text passwords is really not the solution.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2014

mpkossen said: It's really not a smart move

It is not only not smart, but is an idiotic decision, and speaks volumes about the technical knowledge and security consciousness of this host.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: No drama, I decided to call it a day. The last couple of days have not been enjoyable.

@mpkossen should hook you up with a cool title, though - not just "Member".

• @raindog308 said:
    mpkossen should hook you up with a cool title, though - not just "Member".

Member who was a moderator for a week

Ehh... why not something simple?

Cool Guy

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    @mpkossen should hook you up with a cool title, though - not just "Member".

In fairness, I lasted a little under two months, so I've not really earned any special title.

Although I'd have no objection to 'studmuffin'...

Thanked by 2Mark_R Licensecart
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:
    Although I'd have no objection to 'studmuffin'...

What about spoonbill ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: Although I'd have no objection to 'studmuffin'...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

• So why was @Greenvaluehost banned?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    What about spoonbill ?

I've been compared to many things before, but never a bird. Unless 'tit' counts.

@raindog308 said:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Enough about 'immediate release', the pills I'm on at working so far and I don't want to jinx it.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited June 2014

joelgm said: So why was @Greenvaluehost banned?

Probably because he is a compulsive liar and defrauding LET since inception? The only way to stop the madness is to ban him from his milking table because no matter what, people here will still give him money.

Though the real reason is probably because of the whole S word.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Toadyus
  • joelgm said: So why was @Greenvaluehost banned?

For being himself.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • @joelgm said:
    So why was Greenvaluehost banned?

Self-protection. He clearly needed a time-out.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@joelgm said:
    So why was @Greenvaluehost banned

I think the question should be how did it take him this long to get banned?

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • luissousaluissousa Member
    edited June 2014

@AlexanderM said:

It take this long because it should've. As @mpkossen has told before, he won't ban people for lying. That's up to us to believe on what certain providers say and to search for the truth. This is a communication platform, not a court.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • anyone managed to get partial refunds?

• @AlexanderM said:

Well, not that you are in any position to ask, but I'll answer that anyway: as I wasn't here when things went down, I couldn't ban him right away. It took a while for me to read up, respond, and convene other staff about this:in certain situations I like to talk to other people about my decisions (which I think is a good thing). In between my day job and everything, including bringing this to Jonny via Skype first, it did take a couple of hours.

Naturally, had I been there when that one message was dropped, I would have banned him immediately and I would have made sure I, or anyone else for that matter, would have contacted the local PD (which happened, gladly).

Thanked by 1Lee
  • HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I wonder if the better thing to do is not censor it? I mean what if your on your last straw and the audience you are speaking too is the last sane moment. I mean taking it away may cause a unfortunate escalation

• @mpkossen said:

I'm not sure if he was talking about this specific incident, or just "why did it take so long for XYZ to get banned" as a more general timespan of months/years that he's been pulling things.

Could have been implied either way.

• @mpkossen said:
    Well, not that you are in any position to ask, but I'll answer that anyway

thank you your highness, thank you, oh thank you.

• AlexUAlexU Member

@petris said:
    GreenValueHost, GVH_Jaroslav, GVH_Alex, and other GVH staff, you may want to re-consider this decision and just clear out the password column in WHMCS.

Don't work for them anymore :)

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

AlexU said: Don't work for them anymore :)

Tell all, AMA.

• AlexUAlexU Member

@HC_Ro said:
    Tell all, AMA.

Sure, it's for immediate release.

Thanked by 2catalystium Pwner
  • @AlexU

bro;
    cleanse yourself of that nasty green avatar to the left of your name.

Thanked by 1AlexU
  • AlexUAlexU Member

@darkshire said:
    AlexU

bro;
    cleanse yourself of that nasty green avatar to the left of your name.

Haha thanks for reminding me, I'll do it now.

This discussion has been closed.