Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this? - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@NanoG6 said: @Maounique what node are you in?

Node 10

@tridinebandim said: why is this machine too slow? cpu speed?

I would suspect a lot of swapping or torrenting. I can't complain for anything, first because seems i got a better than average node and also because it is free. Can run a site and also works as proxy, has some storage, even if it is slow, doesn't eat my power, thanks to the providers :) It is very good for learning and i recommend ppl to take one here to learn linux.
    M

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • @Maounique said: i recommend ppl to take one here to learn linux.

I have two, using different email :))

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • i dont mean complaining, wantto just know if its cpu problem . after a while (when they kick the abusers) is it enough, the cpu? cos it takes a while even install nano :)

ofcourse thanks for the free vps :)

don't think it is cpu, for ovz cpu doesnt come much into i/o, more likely slow storage, CPU is rather cheap these days, drives are not and they give a bit of storage, hence they are not top of the tops.
    M

• @NanoG6 said: I have two, using different email

This is against their terms of service. You are likely to be banned eventually if they find out.

• i am using their free vps from 2 months, and its working fine for me, they have suspended it two times, coz i was not visiting their control panel, but when i visit control panel, they unsuspend it automatically , so overall it is best thing :)

• FluXFluX Member

I'm on Node 14 and its actually unusable. The I/O is less than 1MB/s lol.

• Where do you get the login information for the VPS panel? I have the login information for the general account and control panel, but can't find anything to get into the actual VPS control panel...

• It's emailed to you.
    You have to login to their control panel which directs you to their SolusVM, saying login failed.

Once you're on Solus' login page, type in the login details again and it should work.

@black said: It's emailed to you.

You have to login to their control panel which directs you to their SolusVM, saying login failed.

Once you're on Solus' login page, type in the login details again and it should work.

I keep getting mails from them but when i try to login say the mail does not exist (when try to reset pass).
    Maybe it was free, but I dont like to be treated like this, I didnt beg for their offer, I lost time to set it up, wrote a review about it, never abuse it...
    I think they just have scripts to delete and those dont really have many options...

• @Maounique said: Once you're on Solus' login page, type in the login details again and it should work.

I keep getting mails from them but when i try to login say the mail does not exist (when try to reset pass).

Maybe it was free, but I dont like to be treated like this, I didnt beg for their offer, I lost time to set it up, wrote a review about it, never abuse it...
    I think they just have scripts to delete and those dont really have many options...

Sent an email that they shut down all VPS about a week ago. If you did not boot your VPS you would lose it. Evidently they were at least trying to clean up some nodes.

@AuroraZ said: Sent an email that they shut down all VPS about a week ago. If you did not boot your VPS you would lose it. Evidently they were at least trying to clean up some nodes.

My VPS has been deleted many weeks ago silently. I had a site on it, as expected, without traffic, just to test things, but still...

• @Maounique Yeah, seems like a hassle and not worth the effort.

• Yeah. They remove without warning or notice.

• @Maounique said: My VPS has been deleted many weeks ago silently. I had a site on it, as expected, without traffic, just to test things, but still...

No clue man all I know is about the email I received. I don't work for them and I am not defending them. Here is the email:

Dear Host1Free Users,

We have recently noticed that majority of the ONLINE free VPS servers are not being used and are simply kept online consuming resources.
    A week ago we have issued a shutdown on all of free VPS servers and we are currently monitoring the system to see how many of the servers are being actively used.

We would like to inform you that all of the servers that will not be turned back ONLINE after the initial shutdown will be TERMINATED next week.

Please take your time and turn ON your free VPS if you intend to use it, otherwise you will lose all of the data present on your server.

If you found this message in your spam folder - mark it as not spam for future service alerts.

Keep in mind - Host1Free does not provide any backups for your free services. You should do it by yourself.

Regards,
    Host1Free

I received it on February 5th. This is all the information I have.

I use mine for a monitoring site, as it is not the speediest but does work. I might use it for some dev work but they don't support Slack at all.

• My VPS was down for so long I could not access it.. not long after they emailed me saying my account is suspended due to inactivity, well how the heck am I suppose to use it If I cant sign in to it because it's always down!! They also go on to say all the benefits if I were to sign up to a paid hosting with them, well the free service was unusable then why would I want to pay ?

• @Maounique said: @black said: It's emailed to you.

A similar thing happened to me, except I did not receive an email with VPS login. Whenever I try to reset the VPS login, I get the error that the email address is not in their database or something like that. I was a newly-registered user.

@AuroraZ said: No clue man

I received the same email and i thought it is a bit ironic since i went to the site to try to enter (I knew they closed the account earlier without any reason or at least a notification) and wanted to sign in, rejected, then tried recover password on the email i received that notice.
    Email not found, of course, then how the heck did they send me that ?

• @Maounique Still got me man. All I know is I received the email and booted my VPS. That is all I know man. Does seem weird if your email is not found for password recovery that you would get that email though.

Unless it is two different systems and your email is still in the one. Like whmcs and solus. I think that could be what is happening.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@earl said: My VPS was down for so long I could not access it.. not long after they emailed me saying my account is suspended due to inactivity, well how the heck am I suppose to use it If I cant sign in to it because it's always down!! They also go on to say all the benefits if I were to sign up to a paid hosting with them, well the free service was unusable then why would I want to pay ?

Haha, basically exactly the same encounter I had. I said it was hard to use the service when it had been down for weeks (node2). They said the free VPS was on "desktop grade hardware" or some other comment along those lines. I said it didn't exactly leave a good taste of what their services might be like... Anyway they can cancel mine. Wasn't of any use once the service stopped working altogether. :p

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Signed up for one for the heck of it. I will install a proxy for testing sites from different IPs so if I get locked out if cPanel or something I can log in from there...
    I expect it to suck. Well we will see :)

• They spam links to dodgy av software everywhere. Feels scammy tbh :(

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Amarielle said: They spam links to dodgy av software everywhere. Feels scammy tbh :(

yeah, I got one before that, so mine is working

• Signed up and was declined :(

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Declined too :(

• Signed 3 weeks ago, still waiting for invitation links... but I already bulled some of the 'experts' in their forum.

• Any company offering a free service has zero obligation to clients. They can take away the service as "freely" as they initially provide it. It's something to think about before putting your files, backups or email on a free service.

@sleddog said: They can take away the service as "freely" as they initially provide it.

Say that to google, gmail, yahoo, skype, whatever.
    If your business model includes the "free" part, you can be sure that acting like an a*****e will send bad signals to the people paying you money.
    Terminating the free service might mean you are in financial trouble, for instance.
    They should have not offered it if they couldnt, or limit the number of slots severely, plus putting clear rules in place.
    Saying we will terminate you at any time for any reason is perfectly fine, but does not mean you do it every other day.

• @Maounique said: Say that to google, gmail, yahoo, skype, whatever.

You forgot Microsoft.

Big commercial providers use "free" services as loss-leaders to commercial services. Once they've achieved their objective (market awareness or visibility) the free service often gets curtailed. Existing "free" customers can only keep their fingers crossed. Witness the recent Google Apps changes. Free services are great no mistake, but they're not something to build reliance on -- or complain about when they change or disappear.

@sleddog said: Free services are great no mistake, but they're not something to build reliance on -- or complain about when they change or disappear.

I agree with complaining IF they give you ample warning before.
    It is not like google apps suddenly stopped working or they closed all free accounts.
    As long as they close my account without even a notice, I have the right to complain.
    Sure, I didnt rely on them, but some courtesy I would have expected.