Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this?

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

how long can we keep the vps for free?

• for ever. This is free VPS, not a trial. :-)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Since yesterday I am connected on ssh never dropped and ping is below 10 ms.
    M

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

@Starwind said: for ever. This is free VPS, not a trial. :-)

I'm curious:
    * How do you expect to cover the costs of these free VPSes? Just upsells to paid plans, or anything else?
    * Is it actually working out?

EDIT: Not meant as criticism, just curiosity :)

• @joepie91

No worries, if you are curious - I'm happy to ask.

Costs are covered by Host1Plus (premium hosting). Yes, we are hoping that some people will migrate to H1P, when the time will come (they will become richer, older and have more needs).

Now it is:

1) Great contribution to games/bloggers/small business communities;
    2) Great fun for us (to have such big community);
    3) Great for facilities testing works. Who can test your cloud infrastructure better than 2k registrations in one day? :-)
    4) Our technician guys are learning a lot from all his.
    5) etc.

So in my opinion it's great investment, even if not directly profitable.

Thanked by 2djvdorp Maounique

Perfect answer, the only one I could take seriously.
    I looked at your payd plans and look terribly pricey. However, if you give this quality for free, it may be worth it for companies that wish to move in the cloud and the word will spread.
    I estimate (if it was here, your labor cost is much higher) about 2-3 K cost of operating these 10 nodes without the hardware investment (rent). If all the "customers" are real (running something there that makes them visit often) then you do get a good advertising return from it.
    Kick slackers and abusers (real ones, not ppl that use resources because they need for their project) and your image will improve further. Also, make it possible to give twice the resources to ppl that have real projects and request it after an audit.
    Good job, so far ! I am your fan !
    M

• @Maounique

We are developing upgrading system at the moment. Procedure will not be very complex and valid audited and willing to help customers will be able to get additional resources. :-)

Cleaning procedure is not far. I'm fearing that half of the users will be banned. We ban cheaters/abusers now, but we didn't touch guys with multiple accounts yet. Although, we are renewing the tracking logs everyday. Just not the right time to delete almost the half of VPS. :-)

Thanks for being our fan! :-) Did you become our fan on Facebook?

edited June 2012

@Starwind said: Did you become our fan on Facebook?

As part of a deal I made a few years ago, i am not allowed to own a fb account :(

On another note, kicking of abusers shouldnt be delayed, start with the clearcut cases (the worst, dont have to be many), and go down as needed to keep the service stable and usable. I was hosting and developing games in my young years and this works, after a while ppl stop cheating and abusing while no big cheater/abuser can come in the forums and pretend they were a victim of the biased admins.
    M

• Thanks H1F! Now my IRC network's website has a home... :)

I am also thinking to move some low traffic websites, but it needs to be more stable than now. I think it will.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Starwind Thanks. Hope everything works out. Specially monitoring of abusers.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

I have done a bit of a review myself...
    https://www.thriftydevil.com.au/technology/full-review-of-host1free-openvz-virtual-private-server

All up, I can say it is great value :)
    Unfortunately the CPU and HDD really let it down. Also, although I haven't experienced any outages, there are enough comments to be weary about using it for anything in production.

Also, the Host1Plus seems a little unusual. For starters, to host a bog standard basic wordpress site, they recommend 1GB of RAM and 40Gb HDD... This is severely over estimated and at $40 per month an absolute joke!

Their cheapest plan ($12.95 per month) is ~ 10 times the amount that many of us here pay for an equivalent service... It just seems overpriced, and the quality of the free servers definitely won't be making me consider swapping over to premium... With that in mind, I wonder how long they will last for!

• I applied for a box recently and I was approved in a few hours time. The speed is reasonable and 100% uptime for last 2 days. SSH doesn't drop, however very slow sometimes. I would wait for abusers and bench-markers to settle down, so that the node/vps will be better for everyone.

I do agree the premium prices are quite steep, so my personal suggestion to the owners is to rethink their pricing strategy to be accommodative of the kind of users who utilize their free plans. This is a great offer, and i am sure with small tweaks on their upgrade structure, they can do very well in this market. I wish them all the best.

I think CPU is decent for this RAM, IO is kinda weak.
    As for the premium offers they are way too premium for LET/LEB users, granted, not all hosts here are prime quality, but we have EDIS, Prometeus and many more that are doing cheap and reliable hosting.
    I agree that, if you do a free offer and want to entice ppl to switch to premium, you should offer low-priced plans and only tax heavily the managed ones, since not many ppl that take the free offer are experts and some will realize they need some help. Still, not many of those, anyway.
    I like this very much, hope you manage to keep it in balance with the money-making servers, as you can see we are ready to offer our opinions to help you design a strategy and you seem to have the resources to try and see what works.
    Hope to talk again in a year and see how it was :)
    M

• luis123456luis123456 Member
    edited June 2012

Hey, I might of have been lucky, but am a mod on there forums. My VPS works ok, but it is a bit slower. Well, it's free, so can't complain.

An easy way to get (and let others) root access to a testbox which you can destroy (just like a shared account)

I had an account on that provider but have never used in, when they popped in the free VPS area I applied, got rejected but was told to apply again, well I did so, and now it's all good.

• meh now I see why all my fraud orders dropped off.. they're too cheap for a 3 dollar hoe erm vps... :)

• Thanks for the advises, guys.

If we are talking about Host1Plus Cloud VPS prices, you've forgot to mention one very important thing - we do not measure traffic. Maybe other companies are able to offer same level (physical parameters) Cloud VPS cheaper, but they, for example, limit your traffic to 1TB and if you will exceed that you will pay much more, if compared to our services.

In the other hand - our shared hosting plans are extremely cheap and fully featured, so small WordPress page can be hanged on $2.95/month mini hosting plan. Cloud VPS recommendations are for bigger WP sites - and those need more resources.

@FRCorey, what do you have in mind, sorry I didn't understand. Can you explain what you've meant in greater detail?

Anyway guys, thank you for your advises once again. And that's one of the point we are trying to achieve - gather cool community on which ideas we can rely and get great suggestions. The point that we are talking now is a nice beginning. :-)

@Starwind said: we do not measure traffic

Aha, that is interesting, but I had bad experience in the past with "unmettered" traffic. Sure not your fault, but except 2-3 providers, most others were offering either crap bw that meant you couldnt use even what you got on low bw plans elsewhere, or were kicking the "abusers", even if the bw consumption was moderate in my view.
    If the BW is really unmettered, then the price becomes low :)
    M

Thanked by 1Starwind
  • @Maounique

Actually very high website traffic sometimes (we can say usually) indicates some rules-braking activity (copyrighted music or video sharing, etc.), and when traffic goes up - it easy to spot such users.

I don't now your experience, but at our side, if there are no illegal activities (breaking terms of the contract), we are just happy to see popular websites. :-)

edited June 2012

@Starwind said: we are just happy to see popular websites

Aha, but then you do shared hosting only, no ? Because ppl could use VPSes for many other purposes, including frequent back-ups, DB backend or even replication, some kind of mirroring, some with high BW needs.
    For example I am backing up to my home server my work servers once a month with 2 TB of compressed data. (Why I dont take the HDD with me is simple, I did break a couple and almost always forget it and BW is cheap on the local exchange and aplenty). While you dont have that much storage, ppl could do daily back-ups with less data or even hourly.
    M

• Back-ups for VPS is fully possible and even hourly back-ups are allowed. If user needs it - he just buys additional disc space (we have upgrade/downgrade options at any time for any resources) with minimal VPS plan and uses that feature freely. Mirroring is also allowed, if, as i mentioned before, data, which mirror you are creating, doesn't brake any UK (EU) law (H1P is UK based hosting company, acting by UK law).

Backups in shared hosting are forbidden, because as you can understand - many users are using same resources (differently) from VPS dedicated resources). So one back-upper can slow whole server's work to unseen low. :-)

Sorry if it's not allowed in this forum, but if you would like to chat about H1P back-up servers in greater details - PM me.

• Signed up late last night out of curiosity and woke up this morning to a new VPS. I haven't run any benchmarks; I prefer the "use it and see how it feels" method of testing :)

And it feels just fine... it's quite responsive at the commandline, with good transfer and disk performance doing such tasks as apt-get, etc. A little show & tell: http://hf.blite.ca/

The only remaining test for me is the test of time :)

Hope it works out for you Starwind.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@sleddog what cpu did you get?
    signed up a few hours ago, hopefully will get one too :)

• @NanoG6 said: what cpu did you get?

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5630  @ 2.13GHz
    cpu MHz     : 266.631

Two cores.

• LAKidLAKid Member

Is node 2 down again?

@Starwind said: Backups in shared hosting are forbidden

No-no, you misunderstood me :P I meant, since you say you like busy websites was sounding like you allow only websites, while ppl take vpses for many other services some using much more bw than a busy website.
    This W-E will take some time for some serious testing.
    M

• KairusKairus Member

@LAKid said: Node 9 has been offline for 5 days straight..

@LAKid said: Is node 2 down again?

Why do you ask if all these different nodes are down? Do you have a VPS on node 2 and 9?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Kairus said: Why do you ask if all these different nodes are down? Do you have a VPS on node 2 and 9?

That's what I wanted to ask... I got a node2 and it is up.. maybe they find out you got 2 accounts?

• LAKidLAKid Member

I have one in Node 2 and my office colleague has one on 9.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@LAKid said: I have one in Node 2 and my office colleague has one on 9.

Node 2 is online

uptime
     15:32:26 up 16 days, 59 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

sounds to me that they did caught a multiple-account user