Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iceland? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iceland?

Comments

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@antiven said: Yea, when I emailed EDIS about it they said the same thing. It just can't be public.

Are they for all locations including there iceland location though?

I know there iceland ISP allows VPN's

• DanielMDanielM Member

Page 2

WilliamWilliam May 25 FlagThanks

@Deor said: Can i set up a PPTP VPN on the VRS Micro package?

No, no VPN at all.

Working @ EDIS - http://www.edis.at

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@DanielM
    That's because VRS Micro is based on Linux-VServer and doesn't support proper TUN/TAP and hence pretty much any sort of VPN software.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@DanielM said: Page 2

WilliamWilliam May 25 FlagThanks

@Deor said: Can i set up a PPTP VPN on the VRS Micro package?

No, no VPN at all.

Working @ EDIS - http://www.edis.at

A few posts later...

@Deor said: Ah yes, just spotted that sorry, so i need to go for a KVM Micro i guess :)

Edit: Or is that no VPN in iceland?

@William said: No, VRS doesn't support VPN at all :)

• DanielMDanielM Member

@rm_ said: That's because VRS Micro is based on Linux-VServer and doesn't support proper TUN/TAP and hence pretty much any sort of VPN software.

Ahh my bad. didnt see that :(

• WilliamWilliam Member

Yes, you can try to setup a VPN in VRS but it isn't going to work.
    On KVM it is no issue but stay inside your traffic since it is extremely expensive.

• nabonabo Member

@William said: As update, Colocation has been ordered and we will ship out the machine next thursday, it should be ready to deploy VPS on in 10 days.

Any news on that?

• AmfyAmfy Member

@nabo said: Any news on that?

On Twitter they said (I think it was German) that Iceland will be online yesterday/today/friday - so, yeah

• Yes, the machine has been connected and is online - Selling/Delivery starts tommorow (without IPv6) and IPv6 follows in ca. 1 week.

• @joepie91 said: For the sake of not further derailing this thread into "the attacks were real" / "the attacks were fake" and similar responses, I made the assumption that they were real and there was no malicious intent from any government.

I believe the attacks were real. That doesn't mean the government didn't use them as an excuse.

• RobertRobert Member
    edited June 2012

Looking forward to my Icelandic VPS! I'll add it as a mirror for traceit.info - a pointless little page I've been working on to learn a bit of PHP.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Robert said: traceit.info

Your IPv6 does not work.

$ curl -v6 traceit.info

• About to connect() to traceit.info port 80 (#0)
    • Trying 2001:41d0:1:a491::1...
    • Connection timed out
    • couldn't connect to host
    • Closing connection #0
      curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
    Thanked by 1Robert
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@rm_ - read carefully William's post

@William said: Yes, the machine has been connected and is online - Selling/Delivery starts tommorow (without IPv6) and IPv6 follows in ca. 1 week.

Thanked by 1Robert
  • @gbshouse said: @rm_ - read carefully William's post

That doesn't have anything to do with IPv6 not working on @Robert 's site

Thanked by 1rm_
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd - hmmmm OK sorry, it was a long day ...

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • RobertRobert Member

Thanks for the heads up. It used to work, but I no longer have IPv6 at home to properly test it with. Never really occurred to me to test it from another ipv6 enabled server! I think I only have one AAAA record for the site pointing to a Kimsufi box, so I'll remove it until I can work out what's up.

• RobertRobert Member

Interestingly, from the same server, it works OK.

curl -v6 traceit.info
    * About to connect() to traceit.info port 80 (#0)
    *   Trying 2001:41d0:1:a491::1... connected
    * Connected to traceit.info (2001:41d0:1:a491::1) port 80 (#0)
    > GET / HTTP/1.1
    > User-Agent: curl/7.21.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8o      zlib/1.2.3.4 libidn/1.18
    > Host: traceit.info
    > Accept: */*
    > 
    < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    ......etc

I'll have to test it from one of my other servers.

• root@ns4-se :: ~# curl -v6 traceit.info

• getaddrinfo(3) failed for traceit.info:80
    • Couldn't resolve host 'traceit.info'
    • Closing connection #0
      curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'traceit.info'
    Thanked by 1Robert
  • RobertRobert Member

root@ns4-se :: ~# curl -v6 traceit.info

• getaddrinfo(3) failed for traceit.info:80
    • Couldn't resolve host 'traceit.info'
    • Closing connection #0
      curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'traceit.info'

Yeah, sorry, I deleted the AAAA record as I was told it wasn't working :-) It's only a silly page for my amusement, so I'll have a look at fixing it when I get a min :-)

• @William said: Anyone interested in VPS in Iceland?

Might be the answer to the question I asked a while back:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1254/are-you-in-one-of-these-countries

Would be interested to hear more. Though beware, my budget is tiny :)

• Faroe and Greenland is impossible, they both have only 1 telco which dictates the price.

• nabonabo Member

@William said: Faroe and Greenland is impossible, they both have only 1 telco which dictates the price.

What about South East Europe?

• The Balkan is extremely instable, both politically and economically and as addition to that also very expensive.

• nabonabo Member

@William said: The Balkan is extremely instable, both politically and economically and as addition to that also very expensive.

I completely agree to that. But Slovenia and Croatia are sorting things out AFAIK. Would be nice to have a VPS there. (Given that Graz is around the corner, but locality is somehow nice)

• If i want i am in 15minutes in Slovenia.... i even have a Slovenian mobile phone.
    I doubt that we do this :)

• nabonabo Member

@William said: If i want i am in 15minutes in Slovenia

I know, 40km to Maribor. I've been on the Uhrturm and seen the plate with the distances ;-)

• @William said: Faroe and Greenland is impossible, they both have only 1 telco which dictates the price.

Huh? If you're replying to me I don't understand what you're saying.

• It's as i said:
    Faroe and Greenland are only connected by a single provider, no competition, no other datacenters - as they are the only ISPs and also own all cables in and out of the country they can charge any price for colocation and server services.
    Thus it is very expensive to sell services there as you need to have a very high price to finance the colocation.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2012

@William said: It's as i said:

Faroe and Greenland are only connected by a single provider, no competition, no other datacenters - as they are the only ISPs and also own all cables in and out of the country they can charge any price for colocation and server services.
    Thus it is very expensive to sell services there as you need to have a very high price to finance the colocation.

Sigh, never mind. We're talking apples and oranges.

• lumaluma Member

@William, how goes the iceland node(s)? almost ready to go? can't wait to try it out! thanks.

Thanked by 1japon