Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thanks UK attacker! We are withdrawing from the UK - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thanks UK attacker! We are withdrawing from the UK

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@EdgeWeb said:
    Has anyone considered that it could be a Netherlands provider starting the attacks on UK let/leb hosts? Resulting in people moving their nodes to their DCs in the Netherlands or elsewhere in Europe?

NL is big, such a bad host that will need to do things like these to get a sale wont be noticed in the sea of NL providers. It does not make sense, but it might be a DDoS company in NL trying to get more DCs to sign up.

• ricardoricardo Member

Was thinking that too EdgeWeb. Data centres competing with UK locations also have a motive... TBH I think anyone wanting to compete in the UK seriously enough will actually find out who is behind the attacks.

• I honestly don't think a big datacenter would do that. It's usually the small frustrated people which take this sort of actions.

• LeeLee Veteran

@mtwiscool said:
    Even being in Europe gets you attacked.
    when i based everything in the US we had no ddos attacks as soon as we moved to France we have had issues with incoming attacks.

Some of thoes attacks are nasty and did not get solved until my webhost looked at it 12 hours later.

I could not imagine how bad it is in the UK.

The strange thing about the attacks i got is that they came about 1 hour after lewis123456 said he wanted to do bad things to my node.

But i think he got the meggage that the web host i'm with does not give into attackers.

there it is again, normally can't string a sentence together but hardly a mistake above.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    NL is big, such a bad host that will need to do things like these to get a sale wont be noticed in the sea of NL providers. It does not make sense, but it might be a DDoS company in NL trying to get more DCs to sign up.

I am absolutely sure that it would not be worth the money they spend on that massive DDoS attack over the past year if their only intention is to "eventually" get someone sign up for their DDoS protection. Same goes for a DC/provider in the NL. There are so many of them that it's next to impossible to determine if the person they are attacking would move with them, or move with other NL DC or other EU DC. It's impossible to make such calculations and assumptions.

I also think that attacked providers from the UK should combine efforts and get their upsteram providers to assit with the whole situation. Eventually collect enough logs and start figuring out where the attack is originating from. Start collecting every piece of information you can get. Start contacting owners of exploited nodes (Even automate this process). There deffinetely would be a way to backtrace that attack, somehow with enough money put into it. Also, it seems reasonable to think that the unaffected provider is behind those attacks as that same company would mostly benefit from this attack.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

@mtwiscool said:

lewis123456 said he wanted to do bad things to my node.

can't even spell someone's name? shrugs

• Mark_RMark_R Member

What if the attacker decides to ruin VPSDime entirely and starts taking down each location seperatly? would @serverian drop those locations too till there is nothing left?

Is giving up even a option? you probably invested alot of money in expanding to the UK, wouldn't it be better to take the extra step and start upgrading the size of your network ports or add decent protection? You knew this could happen and DDoS attacks are no new threat, as provider you should be prepared for them, if you cannot afford to then don't provide the service. the amount of ddos attacks only grows these days it is just too easy to get access to services that can make this happen, time for the providers to start upgrading?

• Screw UK.A country with backward infrastructure cheap ass DC which cannot control DDOS attack.US hosts FTW.

• @Mark_R said:
    What if the attacker decides to ruin VPSDime entirely and starts taking down each location seperatly? would serverian drop those locations too till there is nothing left?

Is giving up even a option? you probably invested alot of money in expanding to the UK, wouldn't it be better to take the extra step and start upgrading the size of your network ports or add decent protection? You knew this could happen and DDoS attacks are no new threat, as provider you should be prepared for them, if you cannot afford to then don't provide the service. the amount of ddos attacks only grows these days it is just too easy to get access to services that can make this happen, time for the providers to start upgrading?

When your DC has it's bandwidth saturated and tells you to pack up and go because they can't deal with it, what can you do?

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@shawn123 said:
    Screw UK.A country with backward infrastructure cheap ass DC which cannot control DDOS attack.US hosts FTW.

@Nekki said:
    That is very unbalanced view, young man.

Thanked by 2Liam linuxthefish
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Mark_R the problem with that is then having to "upgrade" everyone's prices to pay for all of that :)

I take your point though no doubt if it follows him to the NL he will not just keep moving as that would be silly.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

shawn123 said: Screw UK.A country with backward infrastructure cheap ass DC which cannot control DDOS attack.US hosts FTW.

'Merica, FUCK YEAH! Coming again to save muthafuckin' day yeah!
    'Merica, FUCK YEAH! Our DC's are the only way yeah!

• @shaun123 said:
    Screw UK.A country with backward infrastructure cheap ass DC which cannot control DDOS attack.US hosts FTW.

USA would not exist if the backward people with cheap ass infrastructure had not killed all those Indians for you!

@Nekki

Language dude, I think @Shaun123 is only 12 years old, or he appears that way mentally.

Thanked by 3Liam lars linuxthefish
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    Mark_R the problem with that is then having to "upgrade" everyone's prices to pay for all of that :)

True, Personally I wouldn't mind paying the extra $$ just to help the provider keep up. but I forgot for a moment that we are on lowendtalk.com here so alot ppl probably will hate paying more just to get a better service reliability / helping the provider to stay strong.

• wychwych Member

@asterisk14 said:
    is only 12 years old, or he appears that way mentally.

Haha.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • VPNVPN Member

So just to clarify, they'll be moving Winity and Backupsy as well? Will be a shame if they do. I currently use my Winity VPS for VPN access when using Sky Go on my regular Germany business trips. Sky require you access it from the UK for DRM reasons so having to cancel that and go with another UK host will be a massive ball ache.

• wychwych Member

@serverian is it just VPSDime that is moving or all UK based Nodisto services?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

When I was with IOMart/Redstation staff they said to me they were fine and terms of handling ddos attacks, ha

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@AlexanderM said:
    When I was with IOMart/Redstation staff they said to me they were fine and terms of handling ddos attacks, ha

Sales?

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @VPN said:
    So just to clarify, they'll be moving Winity and Backupsy as well? Will be a shame if they do. I currently use my Winity VPS for VPN access when using Sky Go on my regular Germany business trips. Sky require you access it from the UK for DRM reasons so having to cancel that and go with another UK host will be a massive ball ache.

@wych said:
    serverian is it just VPSDime that is moving or all UK based Nodisto services?

Just VPSDime. VPSDime provides OpenVZ and that's the competing product. Not Windows or Storage VPS.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@Infinity said:
    Sales?

Redstation are fine in handling DDOS attacks if you can stump up the money for bandwidth and 80% capex of a Riorey

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I am using openitc which is using same DC that vpsdime is using and uptime is 100%.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Infinity said:
    Sales?

I was in their glasgow office, and it was the top management that I was with said that to me, i didn't question it as it was an important meeting to myself.

• @instatech said:
    I am using openitc which is using same DC that vpsdime is using and uptime is 100%.

Yep, it's just limited to a certain number of hosts.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So not to be all conspiracy theory...but to be a little conspiracy theory...

Who are the remaining low end hosts in the UK?

• CSharpCSharp Member

Just for curiosity, how many Gbps/PPS?

• @instatech said:
    I am using openitc which is using same DC that vpsdime is using and uptime is 100%.

Someone said earlier that their DireVPS was getting hit. Are you using OpenITC or DireVPS? And is your VPS monitored for DDoS/packet loss? Your VPS uptime might be 100% but network uptime might not be.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    So not to be all conspiracy theory...but to be a little conspiracy theory...

Who are the remaining low end hosts in the UK?

There's actually quite a few when you total them up. Not a complete list, but off the top of my head - BHost, NECS, OpenITC, Inception Hosting, HTTPZoom, OnePoundWebHosting, Evorack, GBServers, the ones with the Corgi's (although they're barely lowend in all fairness), WeLoveServers.

• J1021J1021 Member

http://lowendbox.com/blog/vooservers-2-70-128mb-xen-vps-in-uk/

VooServers have been going for a few years too.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@Nekki said:
    There's actually quite a few when you total them up. Not a complete list, but off the top of my head - BHost, NECS, OpenITC, Inception Hosting, HTTPZoom, OnePoundWebHosting, Evorack, GBServers, the ones with the Corgi's (although they're barely lowend in all fairness), WeLoveServers.

There are quite a few providers when you look at that list. Maybe @serverian is on someones shit list :-) Come on @serverian, whose cornflakes did you piss in?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
This discussion has been closed.