Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

They are now taking orders for the KS-4 server in BHS, at the same time when their availability service does not return this model and location as available. Indeed looks like they have started switching to take a queue of orders even for unavailable servers, then set them all up as new servers get deployed.

• earlearl Member

I got an i3 at BHS earlier today..

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3392.191 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7880 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1022 MB
    System uptime :   26 min,

Download speed from CacheFly: 9.26MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.94MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.59MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.54MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.75MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 8.48MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.8MB/s
    I/O speed :  137 MB/s

Much much better!

Initially I installed vmware but that was a nightmare, so I'm back to proxmox..

• sc754sc754 Member

@earl said:
    I got an i3 at BHS earlier today..

> CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    > Number of cores : 4
    > CPU frequency :  3392.191 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 7880 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 1022 MB
    > System uptime :   26 min,
    > 
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 9.26MB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.94MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.8MB/s
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.59MB/s
    > Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.54MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.0MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.75MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 8.48MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.5MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.8MB/s
    > I/O speed :  137 MB/s
    > 

Much much better!

Initially I installed vmware but that was a nightmare, so I'm back to proxmox..

Proxmox is great, might give it a go myself when my i3 arrives in RBX xD

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@sc754 said:
    Proxmox is great, might give it a go myself when my i3 arrives in RBX xD

YUP! thought I would try something different since I have proxmox in all my servers, but honestly was not worth it.. So much nicer to be able to install stuff from Debian.

• sc754sc754 Member

@earl said:

If you wanted to run windows easily, take a look at my guide xD

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/21980/a-quick-guide-for-setting-up-windows-on-the-new-kimsufi-range

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

earl said: So much nicer to be able to install stuff from Debian.

That is not a problem, this is my setup at home, install wheezy, put up proxmox, start apt-getting. I even installed fglrx drivers cause I play movies and generally use it as a desktop. It worked with the ovz kernel, so far no issues, though, if you need it for production, that is not a good idea due to security and maybe crashes/reboots you need from time to time. This is a very small brazos machine E-450 with 6 GB of RAM, comparable with the kimsufi atoms regarding CPU and with much better graphix (but you dont need that in a pure server) and certainly better memory wise but depends what you need it for.

Thanked by 1earl
  • J1021J1021 Member

My server has been up for 14 days and so far I've used 7TB of traffic.

• NoxxyNoxxy Member

1e10 said: My server has been up for 14 days and so far I've used 7TB of traffic.

Okay?

• J1021J1021 Member

Noxxy said: Okay?

Just a comment asshole.

• NoxxyNoxxy Member

1e10 said: Just a comment asshole.

... haha. I was trying to figure the point of it.

• J1021J1021 Member

Noxxy said: ... haha. I was trying to figure the point of it.

Well this is a discussion thread for Kimsufi servers. I posted that my server had used 7TB in 14 days, as it's an amazing deal to be able to potentially use 14TB a month for £5.

I'm still sat here trying to figure out the point of your post questioning mine? Troll.

• NoxxyNoxxy Member

You can push a lot more than 14TB of data a month... people have already stated (in this thread) they push the box to it's port 24/7.

I am too old to be a troll, sorry.

• earlearl Member

@Maounique said:

well, vmware is nice in that you can install proxmox as a guest OS.. but it's too restrictive compared to proxmox.

proxmox is nice since you can install packages like mtr, or have free ready made templates from turnkey... even doing updates is easy.

• nimdynimdy Member

I signed up to the KS-1 a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it. It seems great value for money for what it is. I've now got Proxmox running on it and have some OpenVZ containers running on the server doing different things (torrent, webserver, testing etc).

If I were to get a KS-3 instead (i3 processor, 8gig RAM), would this be able to comfortably run Windows VMs as well as Linux containers? Or would it be really slow? I was wanting to have a play with running my containers as I do now, but also have a Windows VM running at the same time.

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited May 2014

@nimdy said:
    I signed up to the KS-1 a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it. It seems great value for money for what it is. I've now got Proxmox running on it and have some OpenVZ containers running on the server doing different things (torrent, webserver, testing etc).

If I were to get a KS-3 instead (i3 processor, 8gig RAM), would this be able to comfortably run Windows VMs as well as Linux containers? Or would it be really slow? I was wanting to have a play with running my containers as I do now, but also have a Windows VM running at the same time.

I'm waiting for my i3 now to do the same thing. It will run windows nicely (I've done it before in a proxmox KVM guest), even better if you enable nested visualization and set the cpu to host you can run Hyper V in a windows guest enabling I think for you to use RemoteFX. This will let you use the i3's GPU on remote desktop. You can get a 180 days server 2008 evaluation from MS

• berndy2001berndy2001 Member
    edited May 2014

Are there any Unixbench results for the KS-1 (4,99 Euro)?

Tutorial: http://blog.serverbear.com/tutorials/unixbench-ubuntu/

thx

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

http://mylowendboxes.me/kimsufi.html old but same hardware.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@berndy2001

Should be similar to this:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/8/22/fGIGQ8vZkpPfQhre

here is the full list, just need to check the one with the atom n2800.

http://serverbear.com/1029-ks-2g-kimsufi#benchmarks

• Core™ i3 is currently available

• sc754sc754 Member

@joodle said:
    Core™ i3 is currently available

Ordered one of those yesterday, still waiting....

• nimdynimdy Member

For those wanting to install Windows directly on their Kimsufi server (i.e. not virtualised), here is a guide on the forums:

http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?25634-How-to-install-Windows-on-a-Kimsufi-server

Basically download the hard disk image files using the rescue boot tool, then restart and you have a working Windows install. He has the options of Win 8.1 and Win Server 2012.

Just had a go and it works great.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

thanks for the link @nimdy looks like he has removed the images tho :(

• DavidxDavidx Member

@nimdy said:
    For those wanting to install Windows directly on their Kimsufi server (i.e. not virtualised), here is a guide on the forums:

http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?25634-How-to-install-Windows-on-a-Kimsufi-server

Basically download the hard disk image files using the rescue boot tool, then restart and you have a working Windows install. He has the options of Win 8.1 and Win Server 2012.

Just had a go and it works great.

Are those images safe?

• sc754sc754 Member

@David_P said:
    Are those images safe?

May as well make your own .img instead

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

sc754 said: May as well make your own .img instead

looks like the file image is in raw img might not work, and secondly i wonder how hes configured the networking (since the controller will be different)

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited May 2014

TarZZ92 said: thanks for the link @nimdy looks like he has removed the images tho :(

He's moved them to another folder in his server. I can PM you the link he gave me if you like?

sc754 said: May as well make your own .img instead

My understanding is he has done an unattended install of Windows on his server then taken an image of that. I guess it could have unfsafe stuff running in the background :-/

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

nimdy said: He's moved them to another folder in his server. I can PM you the link he gave me if you like?

Yes please :)

• earlearl Member

@sc754

Did you get ipv6 for windows kvm in proxmox to work?

• sc754sc754 Member

@earl said:
    sc754

Did you get ipv6 for windows kvm in proxmox to work?

Never tried it to be honest

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

@nimdy said:
    My understanding is he has done an unattended install of Windows on his server then taken an image of that. I guess it could have unfsafe stuff running in the background :-/

Hello

I'm the creator of this images and I can say, that there are no viruses or something else inside.
    The images are currently not available for public because i'm waiting for an approval from microsoft to release them.

Thanked by 1nimdy