Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The seven dollar question - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The seven dollar question

12346»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

How about no price limit, but specs like RAM and cores are limited, say 512MB and 2 fair share cores maximum. Bringing back the low-end ethos rather than worrying about how much of everything you can cram into a container $7.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Nekki said: specs like RAM and cores are limited, say 512MB and 2 fair share cores maximum

Putting it mildly, strikes me as not the most amazing idea ever conceived. "Let's put a lid on the technical progress, no matter that with every year RAM becomes cheaper and CPUs get more and more cores, in pursuit of a silly fetish we will stick with VPS specs frozen in 2010, but hey, with no price limit it can now cost $20/mo, so surely companies can put out more 'sustainable' offers, yay!"

• What do you guys want, all offers to be the same? Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. The site is fine as it is.

Thanked by 3rm_ eLohkCalb Spirit
  • if increase after there is a question: "why pay 10$ for a VPS from a 1year-2year provider sometime without trust when for the same amount I can get a dedicated from a big provider like OVH?"

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@soldoni ah sorry boy but i dont order at some scam providers which i dont trust.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@rm_ said:
    Putting it mildly, strikes me as not the most amazing idea ever conceived. "Let's put a lid on the technical progress, no matter that with every year RAM becomes cheaper and CPUs get more and more cores, in pursuit of a silly fetish we will stick with VPS specs frozen in 2010, but hey, with no price limit it can now cost $20/mo, so surely companies can put out more 'sustainable' offers, yay!"

I'm actually amazed by how polite a put-down that was. Touched even.

Personally, I don't need owt beyond 256 RAM, so I'd like to see lower-end stuff with extra value features like DDOS protection, RAID, automatic back-ups, etc to justify higher prices, as opposed to lazy plans where the RAM, HDD and B/W just go higher and higher. Limiting the specs was just a suggestion of a way that might be achieved.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

I'd like to see lower-end stuff with extra value features like DDOS protection, RAID, automatic back-ups, etc to justify higher prices

Here's something for you and for other proponents of higher price limit, or no price limit.
    Guess what, there isn't any limit currently either.
    Example LEB frontpage post:

"1024 MB RAM

30 GB HDD
    1TB bandwidth
    1 IPv4
    $7/month"

Sounds nothing out of the ordinary, right? And here is the kicker:

"Various addons are available for purchase at the ordering form."

• Automatic backups +$3.
    • Place me on SSD, not HDD + $7.
    • DDoS protection +$10.

One could say this is disingenuous, but as long as the base VPS is perfectly usable, only it must fit within the $7 limit, and in their WHMCS the provider can offer whatever value-add features they like (but those should not be listed in the LEB post, aside from maybe a note they exist).

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2014

@mpkossen No, leave it at 7$.
    Let them find a more efficient way to provide services.
    If in the long run somebody is already doing it, then it's doable, just some variables should be adjusted.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited March 2014

Personally I think multiple offer categories/forums would be best.
    1. VPS Offers (USA/CAN/EU)
    2. Dedicated Offers (USA/CAN/EU)
    3. Offers Outside USA/CAN/EU

Each category has its own price limits (I voted $10 in the poll for VPS in other locations.) I think the number of people posting requests for dedicated would drop a lot if there was a section with just dedicated offers. Separate categories would make dedicated and uncommon location offers so much easier to find.

• @rm I think you need to step back a little bit and realise that everyone is entitled their own opinion without you putting every single one of them down. :)

Just saying.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@0xdragon said:
    rm I think you need to step back a little bit and realise that everyone is entitled their own opinion without you putting every single one of them down. :)

Just saying.

It's what makes him fun to have around, and in all fairness he does usually have a point to go with the verbal bitchslaps most of the time.

• @Nekki said:
    It's what makes him fun to have around, and in all fairness he does usually have a point to go with the verbal bitchslaps most of the time.

Didn't say he didn't have a point, only that he probably should tell us his (rather known) opinion, then leave it :)

It's a forum, not a house. ;)

Thanked by 1marcm