Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The seven dollar question - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The seven dollar question

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I wonder how the poll would look if you took away votes from providers?

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

Nekki said: I wonder how the poll would look if you took away votes from providers?

I think that providers instinctively voted for $10. I voted for $10 as well. Now when I think about it I wish I could vote again, because given the poll options I would vote for "leave it at $7".

• leave it at seven. and how are the statistics without provider votes?

• GunterGunter Member
    edited March 2014

A higher price limit depletes the spirit of competition and raise future prices.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @mpkossen even in West Europe many datacenters are charging 2 Euros per IPv4(OVH, Webtropia, Online) so limit should be increased for West EU too.Same applies to Canada where IPv4s are now 3$ per IPv4 from OVH unless you buy in bulk.

• @marcm said:
    And I feel like a stupid price limit and a few rules is not what defines this community or keeps it together. If this is what's gonna make or break us then we're not much of a community. Personally I think that the people that I have met here and the friendships that I've forged over the past two years are far more important than some price limit. If it changes or not, it won't make any difference in the way that I do business, however if it does and the community stays the same then it means that we are bound together by more than a set of rules and a price limit. Just my two cents.

Im not sure if you know this but i dont sell hosting at all. I use hosting providers here there are some that i am willing to pay more then what they charge me and i also feel like there are some that are not worth the time of day but does not change that i am a member her. if raising price cap will allow for more of a market and a larger coumninty then i am willing to give it a try.

• marcm said: At this point this artificially imposed limit feels more like bureaucracy than anything else. I seriously doubt that if someone would post offers here at Linode prices anyone would actually consider or sign up for them, so that's not even an issue.

It's because we're a LowEnd community, not WHT :-) You know, the limit is what makes us unique compared to all those other hosting forums, where people can just fire away offers.

@marcm said:
    "Tradition" looses potentially valuable community members every single day to other forums.

I think it gets us members. Because most of the other forums are just WHT wannabes. The limit is why people come here. This site wouldn't be half as interesting as it is now if we would have no price cap (or resource cap for that matter).

Thanked by 30xdragon Noerman FrankZ
  • mpkossen said: I think it gets us members. Because most of the other forums are just WHT wannabes. The limit is why people come here. This site wouldn't be half as interesting as it is now if we would have no price cap (or resource cap for that matter).

I agree with this. the cap does make us interesting i think the biggest issue with LET is that we dont have a good way to aggerate date since we are a forum. not like there is a real score comparing low end hosts. so i am sure its hard on new users. For me it was hard when i posted my first request for a node here. lots of offeras and no idea who was decent.

• I would suggest that for locations outside of the US, then the Annual price be limited to 3/4 the $7 monthly over 12 months (so 9x7= $63). This gives some more headroom to European and also Asian & Aussie providers.

There should be at least one IPv4 and one IPv6 per offer as a tradeoff for the extra price leniency. The whole point of "expensive IPs" and therefore higher prices is that IPv4 is getting scarce in some areas (or hoarded). Therefore the more sites with IPv6 means that the more that ISP's will need to provide IPv6 services, and hopefully it moves us to a IPv6-only world much faster.

In fact, I would be quite pleased to see the IPv6 rule enforced as a blanket rule with enough time for everyone to get their house in order, say beginning 2016. It's still 20 months away.

• Hardware getting cheaper, for me 7 dollar is ok

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Just leave it IMO. :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • This site is built around specific niche. Why raising the limit just to push through even more SALES...?

Lack of offers from other parts of the world should not be argument considering all this started where there was like 10 or less known hosts within this pricing range globally. Beside that, this was one of primary reasons for LEB existance.
    To find something and introduce something rare within LEB budget not to open doors for all kind of a sales.

Rhetorical question: is there any good reason why not making pricing limit $5 apart from making less profit from this community for some hosts?

• I feel 7 is still the magic number

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • I vote for $15, wouldn't mind more quality offers (instead of the piss poor $7/2g crap being flooded in right now.)

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • Seven is nice, but maybe change the rule in a way so that hosts outside the U.S. can use their local currency, e.g. U.K hosts not more than 7 Pounds, and E.U. hosts not more than 7 Euros.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

$10 is just a limit increase of 3 dollars. It could give us a more wider range of quality offers while still maintaining a low limit.

Why don't we just try it temporarily?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

I vote for $5.

It's really not my problem if some host can't push higher end sales in low end community.

• Keep it at $7. It's what made me start following offers, and then join up. Make the community decide price, not the providers. And if some of the more greedy ones decide to skip this forum altogether, good riddance!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Keep it, Hardware is getting cheaper, only ip costs increase in europe but you can still keep it under 7$. No need to increase, pointless.

• And please use US DOLLAR ($ USD) in all offers.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Spirit said: I vote for $5.

It's really not my problem if some host can't push higher end sales in low end community.

Seconded.

• I hope max 7$ .

• voting for $1/yearly for 10GB RAM.

Thanked by 20xdragon Neoon
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2014

I voted for $10 because there was no option to remove the limit.

What people seem to forget is that it makes no difference. Those that can and want to chase the bottom of the barrell loss making clients (<< hah) have the option to price whatever they want to win those types over.

For others there is at least the option to put an offer up for people to see which is priced at a level which makes sense for them. Nobody says you need to buy at any price so it's still a buyers market.

$7 was a maximum set for the minimum of resource. That horse has long since bolted.

Thanked by 2Zen Wintereise
  • BruceBruce Member

@Noerman said:
    And please use US DOLLAR ($ USD) in all offers.

it's that geocentric attitude that causes upset. providers that don't accept US$ shouldn't be needed to advertise a US price. I am OK with US$7 equivalent as a cutoff though.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I think you should remove the dollar limits entirely.

Thanked by 2MrObvious Wintereise
  • BruceBruce Member

there's a huge difference in lowend offers already. $7/month is very different to $7/year.

why not have a new category for non-leb offers, or perhap 3 categories

• sub $4/m (inc <$45/yr)
    • $4 - $7/m (inc <$75/yr)
    • $7 - $15/m (inc <$150/yr)
    • dedicated servers <$49/m
    • provider offers (anything that a LEB provider would find useful - like dedi for $99/m)
  • ReeceReece Member

$10 from myself.

Reason being if you are a provider then there is nothing stopping you from selling a package at $7/month. the benefits I can see would be a wider range of offers, along with more established companies being able to do < $10 plans.

Whoever said it would turn into a high end market, you are wrong. Do you consider spending $10 a month high? Try more like $10- $30 for a 1gig machine if not less.

Then there's the fact I guarantee you will see a lot of companies not overselling the hell out of those poor E3's as they'll have more realistic margins to work with. Well unless they're greedy little sods...

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited March 2014

Things are supposed to change, so it's not really that bad if we have to change something that's basically a foundation for this place after, what, 6 years?

The whole "low end" thing went down the drain when we went over 1GB and now we have 4GB, 6GB, what? 4GB, 4 core, SSD, 1Gbit, not exactly low end.

If we want to keep this place "low end" we should either reduce the price or impose the resources limit. othewise $7, $8 or $10 doesn't make much difference, or even $5. Yes, IPv4 prices have gone up, that's why we should see more IPv6 only offers.

Considering the original question, we've seen offers from Australia, India, probably some other offers from "exotic" locations that were able to fit in the price range, I doubt there are many places that can't offer something for $7 (even if it's very limited), I don't see the point to increase the limit, they are competing against other offers from that location and not the rest of the world.

Thanked by 1dnom
  • Stick with 7USD - it's not like it makes us blind to offers bigger than 7usd by providers with LEB offerings. No-one forces providers to play in this space. 7USD is a constraint to embrace that drives creative offerings: https://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch03_Embrace_Constraints.php

The community then judges whether that creativity leads to good things or not...

Thanked by 3Spirit Liam dnom