Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The seven dollar question - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The seven dollar question

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

craigb said: No-one forces providers to play in this space.

This!
    Beside that how can be OUR problem because some hosts can't advertise their products here? If you can't then this obviously isn't place for you. There are other forums, other communities suitable for advertising and selling expensier products.

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited March 2014

Increasing price wont help also it will destroy the uniqueness of LET.

• How about price limit for dedi?

• @Spirit said:
    I vote for $5.

It's really not my problem if some host can't push higher end sales in low end community.

I want the latest Bugatti Veyron for 100$ & it's not my problem they can't sell it to me because I don't have enough budget.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2014

@jcaleb said:
    How about price limit for dedi?

Same as before : 49$

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Some hosts already planned because of this to increase prices, so mostly everyone will pay more in the future.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@K2Bytes said:
    I want the latest Bugatti Veyron for 100$ & it's not my problem they can't sell it to me because I don't have enough budget.

But that is your problem because you can't get a Bugatti Veyron. Possibly the worst analogy ever.

• It was not an option, however I would vote for raising the limit to $10 for everyone worldwide.

• Can we do a trial run? Say 3 months with a $10 limit to see what kind of offers come up. Then have a vote to see if the community is happy with the change. If not go back to $7 for everyone.

• ztecztec Member

I don't think a higher limit will give us better offers. So, no. Don't increase.

• @Spirit said:
    I vote for $5.

It's really not my problem if some host can't push higher end sales in low end community.

That really only applies if you do not use any hosts in the low end community.

• marcmmarcm Member

Then there really isn't any point in changing anything. There shouldn't be any pricing discrepancies set by geographic locations as it will create other problems. You can either make bigger changes with a larger impact or none at all, however trying to tweak something that's been working for a good number of years now makes no sense.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • BradBrad Member
    edited March 2014

I say we keep it at $7

While it makes no difference, according to some of you, it'll help keep the offers posted under control. I don't want another WHT.

Edit: Maybe increasing the annual limit might be a better idea.

• The sky is falling! $7+ offers??

The servers this website runs on will likely explode and in the ensuing confusion and aftermath of hooligans, criminals and noobs flooding the board with irrelevant posts, outrageous prices ($8, that's some crazy, crazy s**t!) the community will surely die.

Why don't we just all point loaded guns at our heads while we're at it!? It's always best to stick to the status quo, new things are scary and will very likely maim, if not outright kill, us.

Thanked by 3marcm Mark_R shovenose
  • servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

What about increasing the limit for Windows Offers

It is extremely difficult to maintain windows offer under 7$ these days(with support).
    or at least allow windows to have yearly offers of 7*12 :)

Also if you are increasing the limit increase it for all that will be fair .

• DciteDcite Member

What I like about this community is that there is no offer spam/flood.
    I get tons of emails every week from the same companies claiming some kind of "sale" which it really isn't...
    I like how LET limits how frequently offers can be made, I like how this community is very knowledgeable.
    And personally describing myself, I am one of those who are guilty of only subscribing to yearly.

If raising the limit as a whole isn't a good thing, how about having the Magical $7 or below as a "LET preferred rate" while anything higher is listed.. but just that, (possibly and option to filter out too) [I wonder if I am going to get pointed to WHT too]
    At some point down the line I'll probably think.. I sure do miss those $7 offers... but I haven't even taken part in one yet. So I don't know what I am missing?

• @Nekki said:

But I did manage to convey what I had intended :)

• marcmmarcm Member

Here is some food for thought:
    It's okay to have advertising that goes beyond the $7 limit, but it's not okay to have offers that go over $7?

Hani said: What about increasing the limit for Windows Offers

Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! No exceptions. We either stick to this or don't, middle of the road solutions and half measures never work.

• BruceBruce Member

anyone that doesn't like it can just go to WHT

I like LET for the info on how to do stuff in different ways, usually cheap/free. lowend is a mindset NOT a $7 cutoff

Thanked by 1marcm
  • is there a ETA on when the Poll closes and the winning result will be applied?

• serverianserverian Member
    edited March 2014

@Bruce said:
    I like LET for the info on how to do stuff in different ways, usually cheap/free. lowend is a mindset NOT a $7 cutoff

What is the mindset of LET again?

While, I don't want the limit to be raised, I don't think the $7 is what make LET, LET.

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • BruceBruce Member

@serverian said:
    While, I don't want the limit to be raised, I don't think the $7 is what make LET, LET.

exactly my point!

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2014

serverian said: I don't think the $7 is what make LET, LET.

Apparently we see things the same way.

Mark_R said: is there a ETA on when the Poll closes and the winning result will be applied?

I don't think that this particular poll can produce any meaningful results. The important options are missing, while $8, $9 and $10 are irrelevant.

IIRC @Nekki said asked earlier, or expressed his opinion that all providers voted for $10, which is probably true. I did the same and then realized that this isn't about some arbitrary number. My point is that if we have more providers than potential customers/community members, so much that the number of providers can influence the outcome of a poll, then we're in serious trouble and have bigger problems on our hands than changing the price limit or removing it.

@mpkossen could we maybe have a sticky on this topic for a while so that everyone can get their two cents in and maybe a new poll?

• LeeLee Veteran

craigb said: 7USD is a constraint to embrace that drives creative offerings

Show me the creative offerings to date? It's just more for less, that is the LET principle when it comes to offers.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@marcm said:
    IIRC @Nekki asked earlier, or expressed his opinion that all providers voted for $10, which is probably true.

I just asked, you were the one that suggested all providers voted $10. Unlike yourself, I'm not on the sort of terms with any provider to have any clue of what they'd vote.

• marcmmarcm Member

Pricing isn't really a topic that's debated amongst providers, and it's mostly because pricing is like the last thing that anyone needs to compete over.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

Hani said: It is extremely difficult to maintain windows offer under 7$ these days

But how is this LEB/LET problem?

LEB was more attractive site where there was 10, 20... hosts suitable to be posted at this blog than now when there's hundreds and hundreds hosts capable to be featured at blog anytime.

• @marcm said:
    mpkossen could we maybe have a sticky on this topic for a while so that everyone can get their two cents in and maybe a new poll?

Why a new poll, because the current results are against your wishes?

• marcmmarcm Member

K2Bytes said: Why a new poll, because the current results are against your wishes?

They're not against my wishes at all. My opinion is that we either leave things as they are or remove the limit completely. Segmenting offers and creating a new price point won't bring anything good. "7" is the magic number, and if it changes to something else or we get another number added next to it like "10" for certain offers then this will create more problems than it solves.

So why a new poll? So that members can vote on all possible options.

• @Spirit said:
    But how is this LEB/LET problem?

It is an LEB/LET problem because you daily see people requesting it & most of the good providers can't make any suitable offers.So either prohibit members from making such requests or increase the limit.