Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• k0nsl said: They're apparently extending their panel today or tomorrow with ability to change the PTR / reverse DNS. So I am told from their support :)

@DaveA awesome

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2014

@udk said:
    lol

You laugh, but I really find this annoying. ;)
    Okay, scratch the toilet as necessary location to fire up a VM instance, but I am often travelling, only with my tablet and with no notebook in my baggage. With the Digital Ocean Panel, I can simply put a freshly created VM in use. (Okay, they send the password via eMail which is also not the very best concept). But I cannot do the same with a Vultr VM. That is a show stopper for me. Sometimes, it's the simple things that count...

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited February 2014

So tell Apple to fix their product @Amitz :D

(I get your point, though. Just trying to lighten things up lol)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2014

As if Apple cares for real world needs... ;)
    But seriously: I also tried it on some Android tablets and several mobile phones. Did not work, too... I could image that there are more people like me who often work "on the go" and would appreciate that slight change in their website code.

I, however, opened a ticket with them about this and they told me that they will investigate the issue. Let's see! :)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @DavidA Hi! Really interested in your services! Quick question what exactly is this referring to:

"E. Download and Usage Limit. As a member of good standing, you may download up to 500 MB of data each day. Upon reaching this limit, you may be denied access to download any additional data until the beginning of the next day." ?

I hope not the standard packages :)

• Just to add: My ticket has been resolved very quickly by Vultr - They changed their website and the password is now "copy & paste"-able on the iPad. :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Amitz said:
    Just to add: My ticket has been resolved very quickly by Vultr - They changed their website and the password is now "copy & paste"-able on the iPad. :)

Score! That annoyed me too on my phone.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Just LOL! It's funny to see people growling at DO when the brand they uphold is trying to be nothing more than a digitalocean wannabe.

Free DDOS Protection - LOL!

Deploy in 60 seconds - LOL!

Dubious Spam Policy - Stay Away!

DO Killer - LOL! Just a wannabe!

If you want competition, ask for healthy competition. If vultr had thought of launching their product with their own unique ideas instead of trying to clone other brand, nobody could have questioned their integrity.

@Lazze said:
    I'm not even going to argue against you, your post had everything I needed to see. Sigh..

Yup, go back to your games, kid!

@Riz Double facepalm at your comments. You should go play with Lazze.

• @Atomic7 Do you work for digitalocean? Can't think of another reason that explains your post. I personally welcome competition in any form, it can only be good for consumers as digitalocean will be forced to up their game if nothing else.

Vultr, apart from the awful choice of name, looks promising - some really nice locations with the bonus of DDoS protection "coming soon" in some. Would like to actually be able to deploy to the new locations of course, would have been better to launch without those locations at all rather than list as unavailable, then they could entice users later on with new locations.

• @udk said:
    Atomic7 Do you work for digitalocean? Can't think of another reason that explains your post. I personally welcome competition in any form, it can only be good for consumers as digitalocean will be forced to up their game if nothing else.

Vultr, apart from the awful choice of name, looks promising - some really nice locations with the bonus of DDoS protection "coming soon" in some. Would like to actually be able to deploy to the new locations of course, would have been better to launch without those locations at all rather than list as unavailable, then they could entice users later on with new locations.

I'm waiting for word back from their support regarding on testing the protection they have in place (with specifications and a signed network agreement of course.) Then we'll see if that's a real thing.

Otherwise, seems like a really good thing.

• Atomic7Atomic7 Member
    edited February 2014

@udk said:
    Atomic7 Do you work for digitalocean? Can't think of another reason that explains your post. I personally welcome competition in any form, it can only be good for consumers as digitalocean will be forced to up their game if nothing else.

I don't work for digitalocean nor do I support them and would love to see some alternatives to digitalocean. I have nothing against vultr, I was just pointing out some valid facts and inquiring about some doubts regarding their service, but it got aggravated for no reason. It's a premature release, they should have implemented and tested basic features properly before launching. Many basic features are missing and people who are comparing them to DO or calling them DO Killer are bit too excited. They are getting attention just because of their current promo and that also mostly from let readers. Also I am wary of their dubious spam policy.

• I like it allot. I just got $100 credit to set up new DNS servers. They doubled it. Pretty cool and much better than Digital Ocean.

• @RichardLeik said:
    It kills DO technically. But DO was always about marketing anyways, typical DO customers won't care about RAID5 vs RAID10, etc.

You are 100% right. Digital Ocean has a very specific target market: Developers. They market their platform as a development platform and rightly so, as its very good for development. They do not claim its a good platform for production purposes!

• Swiftway said: You are 100% right. Digital Ocean has a very specific target market: Developers. They market their platform as a development platform and rightly so, as its very good for development. They do not claim its a good platform for production purposes!

I'm confused by this statement because most of the time developers need a platform that's even more stable than a production platform itself. I have tried DO several times, and they couldn't even keep my DNS servers running. Every so often one would get wiped out. I wouldn't call that developer friendly at all. You can polish a turd you know, but it'll still be a turd...

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • A development platform is simply a instance you do the development on. Its good to have backup/snapshot possibilities to backup the code. Uptime is important but not critical, network performance to the world is nice, but not critical.
    A test Platform is a more scalable solution where the application can be tested under stress, uptime&performance is more important then a development platform.

Production platform is where the application goes live and is used by the actual intended users of the application. It should be fast, Scalable, reliable, provide extreme uptime and good networking to the audience, this is the most mission critical platform as downtime costs money.

Digital Ocean is targeting developers for good reasons, their platform is tailored to developers in pretty much any way possible. Can it be used for testing? sure, can it be used for production? possibly, however for both Testing as well as Production there are much better platforms, more suitable to the job that offer more reliability, uptime, performance and a good networking.

Now about Vultr. Its very obviously a Digital Ocean clone, a very similar website, exactly the same packages (the packages have the exact same specifications!) with two advantages to Digital Ocean:

• More locations
    • Lower price on some packages.

With several major disadvantages over Digital Ocean: Missing the focus/niche market, no snapshot function and various other functionality missing that would make it a good alternative for developers to DigitalOcean instances.
    Copying a business plan without targeting the same market will likely prove a mistake here. They will attract the type of "crowd" providers generally like to avoid, people that will look for a test platform may consider the, people that look for a serious production platform will look at always to the likes of AWS/Softlayer/Rackspace and will find this offer suspiciously cheap and lacking the features they need.

Just my personal 0.02 cents on this ;)

• @Swiftway

Offtopic, but does your own "cloud" offering have an API?

• PatsPats Member
    edited February 2014

Maounique said: Hah, you probably got me wrong :)

i got u right buddy.... i know that OP's intentions are very good & for-community upto his BGP.. but u may hav noticed just b4 my comment it had derailed a lot.. :P

am i on LET? oh well... :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2014

In this market there is atomicity in many aspects. Both demand and offer have a lot of players with similar offers. In the real market, taking some lemons, for instance, they are not the same everywhere, like here, some are from turkey, some from greece, some are bigger, other smaller, some have thick shell, others thin, some more sour, some less, but more aromatic, etc. In general, prices are comparable too. So, the choice is large and all vendors have some unicity.

Now, same as here, when a new player enters the market, of course, there will be some market share going to him, but this does not mean the rest of ppl offering that service will have to be afraid.

This reminds me of the OVH debacle when people were attacking me for being biased because will drive prometeus out of business...

DO did not patent the design, nor the term "cloud", while neither of their offers are real clouds. They can add features and lower price (cant be much lower than free you know), it is not like DO was ever unique, they just had tons of cash to spend, same as OVH, but in both segments of the market, there are other competitors, from the big ones such as AWS, Azure and the like, to the little ones, there are many providers offering hourly payment and on-demand VMs based on some prepaid credit.

Copying some design is, of course, a bad taste tactic, but it works, DO did a lot of advertising, now, since the niche (more or less) is there, it is only natural others will come to compete for it. You cannot patent a market share, say the thin shell lemons can be sold only by X, who brought them first to market, others can develop similar varieties and will bring them to the same market, when you are afraid the competition will take your customers, then you know your product sucks. DO does well saying nothing, they will try to prove they are better and should also have the advantage of being the first, the ones who appealed to this niche and created a sizeable crowd in it. The real bad taste is the "scroogled" campaign of MS, that would be similar with these guys starting to say tot he people you were drowning in the DO, they are eating you alive or something.

Apple lost to microsoft in the battle for desktop domination because they lacked the means and marketing strategy to appeal to the global world of business, their incentives to universities and schools, etc. Do you see Apple marketing their OS in any university? Not even now but they are no longer competing there actually, the battle was long lost, now they are breaking the back of MS in the mobile area, this time MS was slow to react and understand the way things will go there.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • I am not exactly DO lover, however I don't agree with advantage of more locations by Vultr because we have yet to see those locations available. It's just announcement for now, not much different from IPv6 soon™. DO made some other locations announcements too but until we don't see them live there's not much to discuss about.

Maounique said: This reminds me of the OVH debacle when people were attacking me for being biased because will drive prometeus out of business...

No one's attacked you. You have strong opinion but don't tolerate other people's opinion. Wherever people do not agree with you, you put yourself on the pedestal and imagine yourself as a victim. It's never about you, just about different opinions you don't tolerate.

• They still haven't announced anything on what DDoS protection they are offering if any at this point.

• Void_Whisperer said: They still haven't announced anything on what DDoS protection they are offering if any at this point.

Yes, and it's been whole 4 days. Shame on them.
    Give them some time (like a week or two) to sort out the initial shock. Then check again.

Thanked by 2mpkossen k0nsl
    edited February 2014

rm_ said: Stop being so butthurt already,

Rockster said: No one's attacked you.

Sure, they didnt. I was imagining things.

Other than that, I welcome any new provider. There will be plenty to feel the pressure, but only if they have nothing original/better to offer for the same price. As I said only people which know their products are crap fear the competition. Even armed with 100s of millions and even billions, even offering free service, big fish didnt eat all the little fish, they will never have the same flexibility and cant compete in the human touch department.

• Where's the coupons?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I would just like to remind people that not once on their website does it mention ddos protection (atleast according to google) - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ddos+site:http://vultr.com/&oq=ddos+site:http://vultr.com/&aqs=chrome..69i57.2815j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=site:vultr.com+ddos&safe=off

You cant really get angry at them when a non-advertised feature isn't working. But they should probably be making a statement on the matter available, but that's my opinion.

I suspect they have mitigation for handling small inconvenient attacks (e.g dos attacks), but not large ones. Although thats purely speculation. I did a small test with a non hopefully destructive (I hope I didn't cause any harm to neighbors on the node) 500mbit payload for 60s, 100% down.

Seems pretty unfinished so far. But has potential due to the available locations. If I was choopa I would focus on important features first (private network, snapshots, distributions available). Hell, even a unique design that doesn't "borrow" significant unique elements from DigitalOcean would be a good start.

I haven't tested the IO/CPU of the test node yet, but it feels pretty good. Then again DigitalOcean also seems pretty good for most of what I do with my droplets so yeah.

• "Hi,

We have received a few inquiries regarding DDOS protection. We are offering this in our primary locations only but we are updating our documentation to provide additional details on how this feature works and will be posting additional information in our FAQ."

quote from support, added 100usd for testing. Shame they bill you even if the machine is offline, its really just a VPS provider with a custom control panel

• @SplitIce said:
    I would just like to remind people that not once on their website does it mention ddos protection (atleast according to google) - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ddos+site:http://vultr.com/&oq=ddos+site:http://vultr.com/&aqs=chrome..69i57.2815j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=site:vultr.com+ddos&safe=off

You cant really get angry at them when a non-advertised feature isn't working. But they should probably be making a statement on the matter available, but that's my opinion.

I suspect they have mitigation for handling small inconvenient attacks (e.g dos attacks), but not large ones. Although thats purely speculation. I did a small test with a non hopefully destructive (I hope I didn't cause any harm to neighbors on the node) 500mbit payload for 60s, 100% down.

Seems pretty unfinished so far. But has potential due to the available locations. If I was choopa I would focus on important features first (private network, snapshots, distributions available). Hell, even a unique design that doesn't "borrow" significant unique elements from DigitalOcean would be a good start.

I haven't tested the IO/CPU of the test node yet, but it feels pretty good. Then again DigitalOcean also seems pretty good for most of what I do with my droplets so yeah.

Here's a screenshot taken from the 1st page: http://i.imgur.com/CgaisoH.png

Anyway, probably that it is like what you've said, as a minimum of $5 for a vps with ddos protection won't protect you much.

edited February 2014

Gee, are you sure that is by design and not some glitch ? If it is by design, then where is the cloud? No redundancy not even hourly payment, can you at least resize the compute offering (CPU, RAM) ?

Edit: Actually, even their ad says VPS (though on a "cloudy" background).

• Yeah you can upgrade but, only to their specified packages.

• @Swiftway said:
    Copying a business plan without targeting the same market will likely prove a mistake here. They will attract the type of "crowd" providers generally like to avoid, people that will look for a test platform may consider the, people that look for a serious production platform will look at always to the likes of AWS/Softlayer/Rackspace and will find this offer suspiciously cheap and lacking the features they need.

Just my personal 0.02 cents on this ;)

Misunderstanding what 'production' AWS is here? No one who's seriously running a production cluster on AWS assumes uptime on their instances. We assume uptime on the API calls to provision a box and perhaps S3 durability, but that's the extent of the SLA.

DO and Vultr fill in the gap of having cheap API provisionable instances. There are still some things like user data inits that make it easier with EC2 when dealing with autoscaling, but I - like many others - are willing to take a tiny dose of hoop jumping to get it cheaper.

I don't discount the fact that some people do develop on DO by the seat of their pants and utilize snapshots and other features, but lets not go the other way and assume that ad-hoc deployments are the only way to live and that suddenly we all need automated failover, instant snapshots, or whatever magic marketing bulletpoint is in vogue today.

As it currently stands, DO's high end doesn't compare well to AWS reserved instances discounting bandwidth costs. Spot instances currently trump DO. Vultr's higher end brings down the pricing enough to be worth consideration.

2c (from this side of the dev fence)

Thanked by 2nonuby sysfu
  • @Atomic7 said:
    Yup, go back to your games, kid!

If you want me to take you seriously, you need to drop that tone. Only kids write stuff like that.

Healthy competition is not necessarily innovative competition. Vultr did what they did to draw costumers to their service, and that is a totally legitimate strategy. If their service is good, I will use it. I could care less about whether or not they are "LOL! Just a wannabe!".