Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• Giving free credits > service quality + doing things right. This is what we learned today.

Thanked by 2Zen dedicados
  • @serverian said:
    Giving free credits > service quality + doing things right. This is what we learned today.

This.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

serverian said: Giving free credits > service quality + doing things right. This is what we learned today.

That is old since humanity came down from the trees.
    I might object about doing things right, though, it remains to be seen.

• @jarland said:
    Come on now, take a deep breath ;)

That is incredibly hard in this case ;)

• well some questions i have

@DaveA

-DDOS protection was removed right? or still there and in wich Locations

-When will be available the EU, AU and ASIA locations?,

thanks =)

• @rm_ said:
    DaveA now that's weird

@DaveA No more limit on the double promotion. Now you should allow everyone who used the promotion to re-use it, since the terms were changed. If I knew this I would have not deposited 50$ but more instead.

• rm_ said: Stop behaving like a whiny obnoxious kid, what DDOS protection? Do you see anything about DDOS protection on their website? It was explained above they decided to not offer it for now. If you want to make a case that you bought back when this was promised, I believe you should be able to request a refund, but that's about it.

which post? I just asking :P

• rm_ said: tommy said: how about ddos protection ?? I don't care how old your company, what I care is ddos protection. Avoid this question again?

tommy said: which post? I just asking :P

• 250kb/s download from Germany..... (i live in Hungary) . POOR NETWORK

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

@ftpit said:
    Pm me what is the meaning ? Me bhi India se hu :)

Choopa mar le yaar.:) so common in Delhi.
    It means blow job ha ha

• cfgguy said: Choopa mar le yaar.:) so common in Delhi. It means blow job ha ha

Funny, "chupa" can mean something similar in Spanish.

• @ZweiTiger said:
    250kb/s download from Germany..... (i live in Hungary) . POOR NETWORK

Just tested my France server and Netherlands server and I get really good network speeds from all my European servers. From around 30 MB/s up to 98 MB/s
    Actually some of the best speeds I get from any of my other servers.

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2014

cfgguy said: Choopa mar le yaar.:) so common in Delhi. It means blow job ha ha

mujhe pata nhi tha :( . me abhi abhi noida shift hua hu :)

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2014

Seems awesome for me, would be nice to have the other locations available, or an ETA.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2014

Damn. Their initial ssh passwords are too long to get copied and pasted on my iPad, so I cannot fire up instances from my bed, couch or toilet without using my notebook. That sucks a bit. Maybe they could change the way how the password is displayed to make it easier?

Thanked by 2HostNun Mark_R
  • Amitz said: I cannot fire up instances from my bed, couch or toilet without using my notebook

lol

• @kaniini said:
    Really this is more to scare away spammers than anything else. I mean, these guys have an EFnet server ffs. That should tell you about the culture of their company.

Yes, that may all be true, but why does a legitimate business feel the need to replicate other brand's business model and design to promote their product? Nobody is questioning the quality of their service, all I am saying is when someone resorts to such tactics, no matter how big/legitimate the business is; it doesn't portray positive impression. And their website looks far from professional and nothing but a poor attempt to replicate DO design.

Someone with 18 years of experience in the industry and 10's of thousands of servers should have known better than to replicate other company's business model and design. This is a blatant example of plagiarism. I don't support DO or any other brands nor do I have anything against vultr, but these type of things reflect poorly on the provider.

Lazze said: It's absolutely hilarious how many people in here are having a seizure over the fact that Vultr decided to take inspiration from DO.

@Atomic7 said: There was no need to replicate digitalocean design. Why would anyone resort to such tactics if they want to start a legitimate service? No matter how better their service is, such things never send out positive vibes. And just an awful name!

This is no way a digitalocean killer, can never be. At the most, you may call it DO wannabe or DO clone. The title is highly misleading, consider changing it to something appropriate like clone or wannabe. DO has professionalism written all over it, this one exactly the opposite.

You are actually [insult removed by S.] Your bias towards DO is so strong that you should not even be allowed to comment here. Instead of focusing about the fact that they borrowed design elements from another company, how about you focus on that actual service instead? I do realize that they may or may not be perfect right now, but you didn't even give them a chance because you ruled them out.

If you come back in a year and tell me that you don't like their service with a proper foundation for your argument, then I will listen.

Companies "copy" from each other, big surprise there. Microsoft is bigger than Apple in the computer space, why? They copied what Apple was doing. You can apply this to a lot of companies. Saying that Vultr is doomed already is quite the bold statement since you probably didn't even use their service enough to form a valid opinion.

And no, I am not a biased Vultr costumer. I use DigitalOcean and I do not plan to switch because they provide a great service.

Your silly comments make me facepalm, boy! "borrowed"? LOL, what?

Since you mentioned apple and microsoft, watch this movie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054588/ It'll give you some insight on plagiarism and copyright infringement. Ford couldn't steal intermittent wipers; we're talking about an entire business model and website design here. Go play WOW/BF with your buddies, kid!

I keep away from stupid discussions and silly arguments for a reason. My mistake I got involved in this. Now you all continue!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Atomic7 said: replicate other company's business model and design

Um, you realize there's plenty of other companies that offer virtualization platforms similar to Digital Ocean's, right? And plenty of them started before DO. And some of them are cheaper.

Or what do you mean by "business model"?

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited February 2014

@Lazze said:
    It's absolutely hilarious how many people in here are having a seizure over the fact that Vultr decided to take inspiration from DO.

edit: sorry, couldn't help it (I have no experience with either provider and am not taking sides)

• RizRiz Member
    edited February 2014

@Atomic7

Yes, that may all be true, but why does a legitimate business feel the need to replicate other brand's business model and design to promote their product? Nobody is questioning the quality of their service, all I am saying is when someone resorts to such tactics, no matter how big/legitimate the business is; it doesn't portray positive impression. And their website looks far from professional and nothing but a poor attempt to replicate DO design.

Someone with 18 years of experience in the industry and 10's of thousands of servers should have known better than to replicate other company's business model and design. This is a blatant example of plagiarism. I don't support DO or any other brands nor do I have anything against vultr, but these type of things reflect poorly on the provider.

Clearly, you have something against Vultr. QQ. This is the world, adapt or get lost. If someone feels they can come in and still make money; then they will. This happens all the time with businesses. Are you going to call every fast food chain 'plagiarism' too because they all have dollar menus? They simply offer the same service. Both are cloud. Both designs are different. Sure, clouds are in the background of each but what do you expect? It's CLOUD hosting. Without competition, the only person losing is the customer.

• @Zen said:
    "Oh no! They stole my favourite providers design! BLASPHEMY!!!" - I guess service doesn't matter at all, how proficient the techs are, how well made their system is, just throw them away because their design is very much alike that mediocre 'cloud' provider you've been using that reeled you in with marketing and kept you with free credit.

I have no doubt a lot of people are enjoying their service with DO, but this competition is needed. If this business can come in and offer these new locations, a better service, and just the same or even better price tag, why not? What, because DO called dibs? That makes no sense. DO has capitalized on an area initially, and now they're falling behind. If they want to catch up, they need some motivation, nothing motivates more than earning money like the contemplation that you might lose money.

So with that said, can we stop discussing the design and such?

Try again :)

I have to say i totally agree with this. I have used DO for a little over 3 months but, with Vultr coming in with new possible locations in which to deploy, I am already looking to get on that bandwagon. I could care less about any design similarities. I am looking for a great service at the best possible price.

• ugh... this thread is receiving more attention than http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/22472/backupsy-doubles-account-credits

Can OP close this thread? :D

• @Pats said:
    ugh... this thread is receiving more attention than http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/22472/backupsy-doubles-account-credits

That was a promotion for active clients and has ended a few hours ago :)

@Pats said:
    ugh... this thread is receiving more attention than http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/22472/backupsy-doubles-account-credits

There are some people here for more than just self-promoting. The fact someone is a provider/working for one, does not mean the world ends at their BGP.

• Maounique said: There are some people here for more than just self-promoting. The fact someone is a provider/working for one, does not mean the world ends at their BGP.

I know... but u see after their BGP it derailed a lot... :P

edited February 2014

Hah, you probably got me wrong :)

What i meant is that the world does not end where at the BGP for every provider, some can see the good things in others and even promote them. For example, serverian found these guys and thought he should share with the community, see the feedback, maybe improve his products and launch something similar, this is a complex forum where people share more than just ads for crappy services as some people would like to "prove".

• LazzeLazze Member
    edited February 2014

@Atomic7 said:
    It'll give you some insight on plagiarism and copyright infringement. Ford couldn't steal intermittent wipers; we're talking about an entire business model and website design here. Go play WOW/BF with your buddies, kid!

I'm not even going to argue against you, your post had everything I needed to see. Sigh..

• Your silly comments make me facepalm, boy! "borrowed"? LOL, what?

Since you mentioned apple and microsoft, watch this movie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054588/ It'll give you some insight on plagiarism and copyright infringement. Ford couldn't steal intermittent wipers; we're talking about an entire business model and website design here. Go play WOW/BF with your buddies, kid!

I keep away from stupid discussions and silly arguments for a reason. My mistake I got involved in this. Now you all continue!

@Atomic7 : Compare apples to apples. Those are actually called Patents. That has nothing to do with the 'business model' you seem to think it does. You must get your apples and oranges mixed up too.. You ARE that guy.

• Infinity said: How about automatic failover, HA and such? Also, how about having multi-homed networks on the non-primary locations.

Give the guys a break, they're just starting :-). Last thing that would benefit customers is them rushing into things just to get them available ASAP. I prefer single-homed Level3 over a Cogent-NTT-connection (with NTT being considerably worse in Europe).

On another note, this makes BuyVM and ChicagoVPS in NJ quite obsolete. Maybe for the real LowEndBoxes, but other than that...

• They're apparently extending their panel today or tomorrow with ability to change the PTR / reverse DNS. So I am told from their support :)