Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta) - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)

Comments

• @Joe_NQ Cool, I was actually referring to your stat updates. https://nodequery.com/api/agent.json

• @GaNi said:

Thank you, looking at it I don't really know why it doesn't work. Maybe the underscores in the label are a problem. I myself am using volume groups /dev/mapper/vg-root and they are detected correctly. I will look into it.

@bdtech said:
    Joe_NQ Cool, I was actually referring to your stat updates. https://nodequery.com/api/agent.json

Right now the API is integrated into the web application simply to keep things together. At some point the API will be moved to a dedicated instance including a subdomain.

• Can you share, on what platform it's writed on?
    That is global question, cause i saw a lot of really awesome services at last half-year.
    Most of them on Python/Ruby + bootstrap & other resposive design technics.
    Can you share, on what language writed your application? O_O
    Sorry for so stupid question.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

not sure if anyone already mentioned this but it doesn't seem to be working on a box behind a NAT, any way around it? I'm testing it on a machine that has a natted IP but it's a one to one nat

• Great Work!

• received about 3,000+ emails to nodequery@myserverdomain

• @Joe_NQ

May be it's /dev/mapper/vg-hostname-lv_root so a wildcard could do I guess.

• I keep getting emails along the lines of:

Hello Spencer,

it seems one of your servers is not responding anymore.

Server: _______
    Last Update: 2014-02-15 23:12:06
    Alert Trigger: 2014-02-17 23:24:01

From the server it's still up, hasn't gone down, none of the other monitors were tripped, etc. Am I crazy?

(Sorry if someone else has posted this, didn't read about the last 50 comments)

• @neqste said:

Not at all, it is a pretty common mix of PHP (custom MVC framework), NodeJS (Javascript) and Bash. I always wanted to get my head around Python but didn't have the time yet.

@ndelaespada said:

Your server is sending the data so as long as you reach the internet it should work. Maybe the agent cannot determine your public IP address?

@princeshoko said:

That sounds worrying. When did you receive all those email notifications? During the update on Sunday a few things got messy but everything should be fixed by now. Or are you referring to local emails being sent to the nodequery account? If so you could just redirect the cron job output to /dev/null.

@GaNi said:

Thank you for your help. I will have a look at it later.

@skybucks100 said:

The notification says your last update was on the 15th. Is the server still shown as running on the web interface? There might be still a problem with the notifications.

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited February 2014

@Joe_NQ said:

Sorry about that, it was the first on hand. Here is one from a few hours ago: Alert Trigger: 2014-02-17 11:23:01

EDIT:
    Spoke too soon, here's one from a minute ago: Alert Trigger: 2014-02-18 05:25:01

• quddusquddus Member
    edited February 2014

Was trying to uninstall the nodequery and this is what I got

Below are the contents of these files.

domain name has been replaced with "example.com"

Can any one help me to understand this?

• @skybucks100 said:
    Spoke too soon, here's one from a minute ago: Alert Trigger: 2014-02-18 05:25:01

As long as a server is down you will receive ongoing notifications every 6 hours until you disable them or remove the server from the interface. Is the server shown as up and running in the interface?

@quddus said:

When removing the server from the interface an uninstallation command is displayed - did you use it? Otherwise you can just delete the directory /etc/nodequery and the user and group nodequery manually. Besides the temporary syslog there shouldn't be any trace of the agent script afterwards.

The email you received from your system states that the agent couldn't reach one of our nodes that check the network latency. We will disable those messages in a future agent update.

• @Joe_NQ said:
    The email you received from your system states that the agent couldn't reach one of our nodes that check the network latency. We will disable those messages in a future agent update.

Ah ok, now I understand.

Yes i did use your uninstall command but I had to press Y manually for each of those files and they were more than hundred.
    I had to delete the /etc/nodequery manually first in order to avoid keep pressing Y and enter.

• @Joe_NQ said:
    As long as a server is down you will receive ongoing notifications every 6 hours until you disable them or remove the server from the interface. Is the server shown as up and running in the interface?

Hm, interesting. It did show it as down (yet it was fully online), when I reinstalled the script everything was just fine. Strange...

• I got all this when trying to install it.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Hm, interesting. It did show it as down (yet it was fully online), when I reinstalled the script everything was just fine. Strange...

Strange indeed, glad it is working now. Keep me updated if you experience any more issues.

@rethinkvps said:
    I got all this when trying to install it.

It seems your distribution does not include the -U parameter for useradd. I will look into it, maybe we can omit the parameter in a future release. You could try finishing the installation manually as following.

# Create user
    useradd nodequery -r -d /etc/nodequery -s /bin/false

# Modify permissions
    chown -R nodequery:nodequery /etc/nodequery && chmod -R 700 /etc/nodequery

# Configure cron
    crontab -u nodequery -l 2>/dev/null | { cat; echo "*/3 * * * * bash /etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh"; } | crontab -u nodequery -
  • It was CentOS if that is any help.

Also it worked fine with them thanks :)

• CentOS 5.x doesn't support the -U parameter for useradd. I just manually ran the last few steps and it created everything and worked fine.

• @Joe_NQ Do you plan to support windows servers?

• colmcolm Member
    edited February 2014

Thanks for this @Joe_NQ!

There is an issue for long disk volume names causing line wrapping which makes the grep command on df not work. This is the issue @GaNi had and I have the same problem.

Seems it can be fixed by adding the -P parameter (POSIX output) to the df command: df -P -B 1

After changing this in the three places df is used in the agent the disks are reported correctly.

• @rethinkvps @FLDataTeK

Thank you guys. We tested the agent only on CentOS 6. I hope to omit the -U parameter in the next agent update, it will require some more testing though.

@dedicados said:
    Joe_NQ Do you plan to support windows servers?

Unfortunately not, we want to keep the focus on Linux for now.

@colm said:
    Thanks for this Joe_NQ!

There is an issue for long disk volume names causing line wrapping which makes the grep command on df not work. This is the issue GaNi had and I have the same problem.

Seems it can be fixed by adding the -P parameter (POSIX output) to the df command: df -P -B 1

After changing this in the three places df is used in the agent the disks are reported correctly.

Awesome, thank you very much. I will give it a try and include it in the next agent update if it works on all our test environments.

• Possible to monitor Windows servers also?

Say yes... it would make it the ultimate monitoring solution!

• @Gerrard8 said:
    Possible to monitor Windows servers also?

Say yes... it would make it the ultimate monitoring solution!

WTF?! Read the comment above yours -.-

• An app for ipad/iphone Would be Nice

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@Netsat said:
    An app for ipad/iphone Would be Nice

Or just make the current design a bit more responsive.

• @Netsat said:
    An app for ipad/iphone Would be Nice

We won't develop native apps anytime soon but as @agoldenberg already suggested, will instead make the web application more mobile friendly. If you are on an iOS device you will be able to add and use it from your home screen.

• just to let you know on Debian i get this error:

root@debian:~# wget -N https://raw.github.com/nodequery/nq-agent/master/nq-install.sh && bash nq-install.sh ñañañañañañañañañañañañañaña moreñañañañañañañablablablablahellyea
    --2014-02-19 16:11:50-- https://raw.github.com/nodequery/nq-agent/master/nq-install.sh
    Resolving raw.github.com... 199.27.74.133
    Connecting to raw.github.com|199.27.74.133|:443... connected.
    ERROR: cannot verify raw.github.com’s certificate, issued by “/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert High Assurance CA-3”:
    Unable to locally verify the issuer’s authority.
    To connect to raw.github.com insecurely, use ‘--no-check-certificate’.

i did on 2 parts including that "--no-check-certificate" and works.

• @dedicados said:

Just install ca-certificates had the same problem and it was sloved with installing that package.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited February 2014

The installer should perform a dependency check i.e. apt, wget, crontab, iputils, ca certs, etc