Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta) - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)

Comments

• @Joe_NQ said:
    dedicados FLDataTeK GaNi I am very sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused to you and everyone else.

It seems that yesterday at some point either the server network or the DNS failed. Because the server itself was running fine the notifications were queued correctly and sent as soon as the server was reachable again. We've now added an additional check to verify that our own network is not the cause of notifications.

Over the past few days we were also performing database maintenance to handle the increasing number of servers. This might have resulted in strange graph data and should be resolved now as well.

Thank you guys, I hope you will continue using our services.

Not a problem.. We have our production self hosted monitoring server also and it didn't send any alerts so we figured it was probably a false positive. We know your system is still in beta so it is not our primary monitoring system.

Keep up the great work.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2014

@Joe_NQ

Panel seems not be monitoring one of my KVM. It was well working before your database faced issues, but even after re-installing the script, delete/create server, it's stuck at awaiting data. Do you have any spam protection system? I guess the IP could have been blocked.

Edit: Confirmed my IP's blocked. I'll PM you the IP. (Subnet)

• @GaNi said:

No, your IP addresses are not blocked in any way. However, the screenshot says the our domain is resolving to 69.43.161.182 which is simply false. I am wondering if this is related to your servers or our DNS? I didn't have anyone reporting this besides you.

• Oh wow, nice service.... Love the interface. Gives everything I need right at a glace. I hope the price is reduced for early beta testers :)

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2014

@Joe_NQ said:

Really weird, I am using Google DNS. For now, I forced it from hosts.

PS: Nvm, phixed it.

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • emreemre Member, LIR

I tried it and love it!

what I need more is server grouping on user interface and ability to add all my servers :) more than 100...

If I group my servers as: shared hosting servers, kvm servers, vps's etc

it will be perfect..

that's all after using it for 30 mins.

Very good job!

waiting for final form now to buy an account...

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

I'm getting the following error in a raspberry pi, any hint? it just won't report anything, and this is what the logs say:

cat /etc/nodequery/nq-agent.log

{"status":"ERROR","errors":{"data":"dataset is incomplete"}}

• @Joe_NQ : hey what license is your nq-agent distributed under? i am working on a open source project and love your work on the agent. i want to fork it and use it on my project. let me know, thanks.

• @Joe_NQ Can I get more server nodes, 10 is not enough for me XD. Thanks for your hard work.

• Could there be a little bug on Debian? It's warning me about a high RAM: 202%.

So I ran a free -m

root@bella:~# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 6081 2589 3492 0 174 1434
    -/+ buffers/cache: 980 5101
    Swap: 3361 2 3359

States that there is stil 2589 MB free.

• BruceBruce Member

very nice service. looks great. works well.

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • After using the service for a while, I like it more and more.

The UI is absolutely gorgeous. It needs to be responsive, and seeing as the layout already looks like it'll stack easily on a mobile screen, I can hardly wait for an update to make it happen. The SSL certificate throws a warning on Android's Chrome, but this is a cosmetic problem.

The only thing missing is a more detailed process/port monitoring system. Would be nice to check that Varnish and Apache are both up and running, though at the moment I can use UptimeRobot for this. Grouping or tagging the servers might also be nice, if/when the panel gets cluttered with a larger number of hosts.

Thank you :)

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • @ndelaespada said:

Although it is based on Debian it seems the agent script currently cannot collect all the required data to monitor your system. I will look into it as soon as I have some time.

@Archie said:

Sure thing, just send me a private message with your email address you signed up with and I will increase your server limit.

@DennisdeWit said:

The Debian versions I am running are working fine. Which version are you using exactly?

@zormal said:

Process and port monitoring is definitely a feature I would like to implement at some point. Hopefully I'll have some spare time in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you all again for your help and positive feedback, I am glad many of you enjoy using it. I am currently very busy with other projects and term papers but I hope to release a few smaller updates soon. This will include a mobile optimization and a basic read-only API.

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • BruceBruce Member

@Joe_NQ do you need/want a EU node for monitoring? PM if you do. would be happy to donate some resources

• nice - ive just installed on 2 servers - very simple to use and graphs are simple and useful.

• This is amazing.. thanks! :)

• any new? or update? @Joe_NQ

• Joe_NQ said: I hope to release a few smaller updates soon. This will include a mobile optimization and a basic read-only API.

Great news! :) Good luck with your term papers.

• JakJak Member

this is very nice :D

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • @Joe_NQ very nice, testing with 5 servers awesome

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • Seems like there is another issue with cPanel DNSONLY - nothing reports at all. Tried stopping iptables.

Let me know of anything you require to debug the problem once you have time.

• BruceBruce Member

I get email alerts when a node goes down. the dashboard says 99.xx%. but I can't find out how long the node was down for. am I blind? or could this be a nice addition to the reporting?

• georgegeorge Member
    edited March 2014

@Bruce said:
    I get email alerts when a node goes down. the dashboard says 99.xx%. but I can't find out how long the node was down for. am I blind? or could this be a nice addition to the reporting?

'Newtork Latency' chart might help you with that.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited March 2014

@Joe_NQ: I recently had to restart one of my VPS a few times (over the course of an hour) to get something working, but it only took a few seconds for my server to reboot each time. Whilst NodeQuery noticed that the agent wasn't reporting anything during those short times, it didn't warn me.

So, eventually, if my VPS was being rebooted multiple times, or was having high latency issues, but it just took a few seconds every time (instead of 5 mins), the alert wouldn't have been triggered. I really think that NodeQuery should report repeated, short downtimes; those are a sign of network instability and are just as important as other alerts.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

This is working really well for us.

It'd be nice to have a bit more customisation in alert levels and different kind of alerts (Paid SMS, phone calls etc.) depending on the level of alert that happens.

To be a really good product we've also suggested a reseller setup, which would allow us to allocate one or more servers to customers and allow them to view the single server and also setup their own alerts.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • I have been using your service since 20th of feb, and I am really likely it. its nice and simple and I am looking to add a few more servers to it. there are a few things I am not totally happy about, although i can live with them they might be something to look into.

Disk usage graph, you list under it the different partitions, but only one line on the graph, is there a way to graph the different partitions and not the whole disk?

usage warnings, can we separate the different usage levels for a warning, i have a highish disk usage, but everything else is low, (I also found a strange process the other day that had been using 20% of my cpu, and ram for a week, because of your service, so thanks) so I would prefer to either kick out the disk usage warnings, or be able to set a different usage alert for them. is anything in the timeline for this?

mobile view would be awesome, if you have time. I know you must be busy with other parts, but being able to view this on a mobile phone, when a alert gets emailed would be nice.

I have only just started to use VPS services, and so issues like server monitoring are newish to me.

• n0myn0my Member

Windows support would be good.

• @n0my said:
    Windows support would be good.

You do realise it uses a BASH shell script yeah?

While it is possible to get most of the details out via a Powershell script interrogating WMI, I think there would be at least a few issues making it work nicely. No least of which is making sure permissions are correct and there is no Windows Firewall blocking requests.

That said, if you can write a base PS script to do everything, you can always submit it.

• Good Work! It is really very useful!

• n0myn0my Member

Monsta_AU said: You do realise it uses a BASH shell script yeah?

Yes of course :) I use it on my Linux boxes currently.

The post was directed at OP.