Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta) - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)

Comments

• Simply Superb.....

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited February 2014

I'm loving this service. I hope that beta accounts will be carried forward in some form.

Best part is that I can monitor my home VPS as well with no issue. It's a major plus to be able to keep an eye on their disk space easily.

I have already recommended it to friends with multiple VPS servers.

• I haven't tried it out myself, but it looks amazing. Its pretty much as good as flat design can get.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited February 2014

Any reason why I am not getting ping monitoring happening? Works for all but one server, it's a cPanel box with CSF installed.

Is there a way I can debug it? I am able to ping the hosts listed in the script from the commandline so it seems to work at a system level.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Could you please make the Alert email optional? A setting somewhere would be nice. Thanks!

• @Monsta_AU said:
    Any reason why I am not getting ping monitoring happening? Works for all but one server, it's a cPanel box with CSF installed.

Is there a way I can debug it? I am able to ping the hosts listed in the script from the commandline so it seems to work at a system level.

Could be a different output syntax and the agent script is not able to pull the values from it. Can you run one of the ping commands and send me said output?

@tomle said:
    Could you please make the Alert email optional? A setting somewhere would be nice. Thanks!

Of course you can disable email alerts. Every server has a link called "Edit Server", just unset the notification settings there.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.

Thanked by 1Archie
  • Great tool, easy to use and the site looks really nice. What will be the price then, I have 9 servers for now but will have more, so the monitoring is really helpful and a must have. Thanks for your great work.

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • Its been doing good minus when it reports a server as down when its still going :-).

• @Joe_NQ said:
    Could be a different output syntax and the agent script is not able to pull the values from it. Can you run one of the ping commands and send me said output?

We already have emails going back and forth, and yes I have now done so.

I have also noted today that a server in Globalswitch Sydney is seeing similar pings to your Asian host as I get from the EU host. Mostly 328ms-333ms but have seen as high as 342ms. Route goes from Sydney via HK on NTT (179ms), then through some SLOW links to India. It's 248ms via my home ADSL connection, again via HK on iiNet, then the same slow links through to vsnl.net.in which seems to be providing the route into that host for me.

US host gets a solid 174ms ping all day. EU has not budged off 385/386ms all day either. Might be worth grabbing a Singapore-based box which should give better performance for everyone in that area.

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • Joe_NQ said: Regarding the network latency, maybe you are in the same datacenter as our ping nodes? Or is it showing 0.00 for all three locations?

server is on Los Angeles. and also other with 0.00 is on dallas.

• This is awesome. Great web design too. Thanks for sharing. I gave it to our technical team. They're going to give it a swing and I'll let you know their feelings.

Thanked by 1Joe_NQ
  • I added a wheel user and then attempted to reinstall the client on the VPS however it is stuck on Awaiting Data.

Is there something I am missing? It was working fine earlier and would like to get it back working again.

• @Gerrard8 said:
    I added a wheel user and then attempted to reinstall the client on the VPS however it is stuck on Awaiting Data.

Is there something I am missing? It was working fine earlier and would like to get it back working again.

Please verify if the user nodequery exists and the cron job is properly configured. You can check by using crontab -u nodequery -l. You can also have a look at /etc/nodequery/nq-agent.log to see when the last interval was sent to our server.

I will release an agent update tomorrow which will fix some minor issues for a few of our users. Please feel free to contact us by email or Twitter as well, I don't want to abuse LET for our support :)

• @Joe_NQ said:
    I will release an agent update tomorrow which will fix some minor issues for a few of our users. Please feel free to contact us by email or Twitter as well, I don't want to abuse LET for our support :)

Just sent you an email via your website contact form.

Thanked by 2Joe_NQ Archie
  • @Jack said:
    What's the chances of getting more than 10 beta test servers?

Joe has already given some users more than that. He has thanked you so I would have another look at your account or send him an email via the contact form along with your LET username so he knows which account to increase ;)

• @Joe_NQ said:

I doubt that anyone thinks that way....

And hurry up with the update, I want to see if that cPanel ping RPM was the issue. I am not that happy with the latencies on that service, so the more data I have the better!

• GaNiGaNi Member

What's up? My mail just went berzerk.

• GaNiGaNi Member

@Zen said:
    His monitoring node dropped for a moment from the looks of it.

Kinda surprised, no one reported it. (Over 1hr, 25mins)

• Does this do ping monitoring or just whether or not it's up? This could be useful for something that I'm doing.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Does this do ping monitoring or just whether or not it's up? This could be useful for something that I'm doing.

It does system monitoring (space, ram, cpu)

• @GaNi said:

Oh :/

• i get 47 emails about all my servers failing (20), i jump of the bed thinking was the end of the world!

• @dedicados said:
    i jump of the bed thinking was the end of the world!

:D

• @dedicados said:
    i get 47 emails about all my servers failing (20), i jump of the bed thinking was the end of the world!

At least it was not just me.. I thought our DNS servers had gone offline.. :)

• Joe_NQJoe_NQ Member
    edited March 2014

@dedicados @FLDataTeK @GaNi I am very sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused to you and everyone else.

It seems that yesterday at some point either the server network or the DNS failed. Because the server itself was running fine the notifications were queued correctly and sent as soon as the server was reachable again. We've now added an additional check to verify that our own network is not the cause of notifications.

Over the past few days we were also performing database maintenance to handle the increasing number of servers. This might have resulted in strange graph data and should be resolved now as well.

Thank you guys, I hope you will continue using our services.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • Just upgraded to 0.74 - it seems to have fixed the 'no reported ping' issue on my cPanel server.

Thanks Joe.

• GaNiGaNi Member

@Joe_NQ

You don't need to be :) It's a free and "beta" service which I guess, are viable to such conditions. Thanks for your services again.

Thanked by 2Noerman Monsta_AU
  • Hey @Joe_NQ - great service!

Given its so lightweight, would be good to support busybox based Linux userlands (with bash package installed).

Two tweaks I needed to make to get it running on busybox. There's no useradd command, so for the install script:

type -p adduser && adduser -s /bin/false -S -h /etc/nodequery nodequery

Then for the agent script, the call to free -b greps for cache...I switched that to buffers (which exists on non-busybox versions of free too).

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited March 2014

@Joe_NQ

Github seems to be having certificate issues, I guess it would be good to pass "--no-check-certificate" with wget in the script?

PS: nocheckcertificate flag didn't work in the agent installer script.

• @Monsta_AU said:

Great, glad it is working now. I installed cPanel DNS on a test server and noticed it is changing the ping permissions. The new installation script resets those permissions.

@GaNi said:

Thank you. Just so you know, agent version 0.7.4 should fix the disk space error for long labels and volume groups.

I am aware of the GitHub issue, "--no-check-certificate" is indeed the only solution right now.

@craigb said:

Awesome, thank you. I might include it in a manual installation guide for "unsupported" distributions.