Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)

Comments

• Your still have some problems with it, just got my notification that one of my nodes where down however it where up and running now down time at all.

• I'm impressed. I use Monitor.us for their few free services and this beats it hands down as far as style and ease.

Do you email if a server goes down?

I look forward to seeing your paid model and hope the free beta stays as is and free. Perhaps less then 10, perhaps 5 for free.

• Oh and get a Facebook page going that we can "LIKE"

• UI was designed well, neat, and lightweight. nice job! Works with IPv6 too.. :)

• The script seems to randomly die or something like that? What is the best way to run it

• @racksx said:
    Your still have some problems with it, just got my notification that one of my nodes where down however it where up and running now down time at all.

I am aware of that issue. I lowered the threshold of loss notifications from 5 to 4 minutes a while ago and it sometimes produces false alerts. I will look into it.

@princeshoko said:
    I'm impressed. I use Monitor.us for their few free services and this beats it hands down as far as style and ease.

Do you email if a server goes down?

I look forward to seeing your paid model and hope the free beta stays as is and free. Perhaps less then 10, perhaps 5 for free.

Email notifications are available and enabled by default for server loss and high resource usage. The beta accounts will definitely have advantages and free accounts are planned as well. I am not really using Facebook but I might create a page when I have a little spare time. Until then you can follow us on Twitter.

@wojons said:
    The script seems to randomly die or something like that? What is the best way to run it

Could you provide some more details (i.e. syslog) via email or direct message? A simple cron job is executing the script and I didn't have any problems the past few weeks.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

• @Joe_NQ said:
    Thank you so much for your feedback.

thanks Man.

• Joe_NQ said: Could you provide some more details (i.e. syslog) via email or direct message? A simple cron job is executing the script and I didn't have any problems the past few weeks.

where is the cron located

• fazarfazar Member
    edited February 2014

wojons said: where is the cron located

/usr/sbin/cron

bash script provided by NodeQuery scheduled to run in specified interval using cron.

• @Joe_NQ Planning on adding any I/O status?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Quite impressed. Just do us a favor and cut us an LET deal and you'll have paying clients for sure :)

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @fazar said:
    bash script provided by NodeQuery scheduled to run in specified interval using cron.

i mean where is the cron script located or do i need to put this into my cronjobs for every minute or do i put it for every 3 minutes

• Just installed for my VPS and everything is working fine except system load. It seems that system loads is not retrieved, @Joe_NQ

• wojons said: i mean where is the cron script located or do i need to put this into my cronjobs for every minute or do i put it for every 3 minutes

by default nq-agent installer add new user : nodequery and set cron to run nq-agent.sh every 3 minutes.

to view cron job for nodequery: crontab -u nodequery -l

• @fazar said:
    to view cron job for nodequery: crontab -u nodequery -l

I will look into that shortly thank you

• @Joe_NQ

Any idea what causes the network latency graphs not to work? Tips?

• Beautiful design, I love it!

• Any chance for public report page for monitored server?

• So i was able see the cron job and it works a lot of the time but for what ever reason there are times it is not working and the server is up and everything.

• @LowEND said:
    Joe_NQ Planning on adding any I/O status?

Disk IO is already being monitored for the system. It is grey in the graph so maybe you've missed it?

@wojons said:
    So i was able see the cron job and it works a lot of the time but for what ever reason there are times it is not working and the server is up and everything.

Are you using the cron entry from the installation script?

*/3 * * * * bash /etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh

Maybe false positives due to the downtime threshold. Can you confirm that the cron is executed every 3 minutes like it should be? As I said, you are free to send me some details via email and I'll look into it.

@josephb said:
    Joe_NQ

Any idea what causes the network latency graphs not to work? Tips?

Maybe the script can't determine your network adapter or both of the sources from where it reads the values are unavailable. Can you send me some more details via email?

@fazar said:
    Any chance for public report page for monitored server?

I am thinking of implementing a basic API. With it you would be able to select any data you want to display on your public report page.

Thank you again for the feedback :)

• Joe_NQ said: Maybe false positives due to the downtime threshold. Can you confirm that the cron is executed every 3 minutes like it should be? As I said, you are free to send me some details via email and I'll look into it.

yes i can confirm that its there i am going to assume that its false positives. Due to the timeout. Do you know if its a time out on it running or timeout on it connecting to ur backend?

• I am loving this! Extremely unique interface and very good looking! :)

• @wojons said:
    yes i can confirm that its there i am going to assume that its false positives. Due to the timeout. Do you know if its a time out on it running or timeout on it connecting to ur backend?

Possibly both combined takes more than 60 seconds. I will most likely change the threshold back to 5 minutes meaning your servers will have 120 seconds to send the data.

@0xdragon said:
    I am loving this! Extremely unique interface and very good looking! :)

Thank you, glad you like it :)

• Joe_NQ said: Possibly both combined takes more than 60 seconds. I will most likely change the threshold back to 5 minutes meaning your servers will have 120 seconds to send the data.

I thought there were 300 seconds in 5 minutes. Also are you trying to write to ur database directly or write to a queue and then write to ur database.

• halczyhalczy Member
    edited February 2014

Wow, this has been running great so far. Thank you!

• It would be great if you can show historical graphs too.

• Wow, the daemon was quick and easy to install and it wraps everything up in a gorgeous UI. Took all of two minutes to set up -- this is amazing. I would LOVE to be able to add my VMware ESXi servers to the list, I would definitely pay for that but realize there is a lot more work involved with that. :P

• @Joe_NQ

Sorted, ping wasn't installed :-(

On Ubuntu a quick apt-get install iputils-ping and all is well

I noticed that there is also an inetutils-ping but the formatting of the output your script expects, is different to iputils-ping.

• @wojons said:
    I thought there were 300 seconds in 5 minutes. Also are you trying to write to ur database directly or write to a queue and then write to ur database.

Correct but I am subtracting the 180 seconds interval time.

@Fritz said:
    It would be great if you can show historical graphs too.

For now data retention is set to 30 days and available in 3 steps within the graph interface. This might change in the future.

@josephb said:
    Joe_NQ

Sorted, ping wasn't installed :-(

On Ubuntu a quick apt-get install iputils-ping and all is well

I noticed that there is also an inetutils-ping but the formatting of the output your script expects, is different to iputils-ping.

I tested the script on so many different platforms and I am still surprised that some users (although a really small number) are having trouble running the script. Glad you sorted it out.

@halczy, @revnja and everyone else, thank you so much for the positive feedback.

• I would pay for a self-hosted version of this. I would love to see these kinds of quick stats on my servers, but they're not reachable via the public Internet due to very stringent rules. It would be great to have something like this on my LAN. Anyhow, I am quite enjoying the free beta. As far as online monitoring services that I have tried, this is the best.

It would be nice to have thresholds and alerts implemented off of this, say -- the monitor saw RAM usage spike 150% and stay there for over 10 minutes, it could send me an email informing me of this. It would be a lot of work to implement these custom threshold rules, however.

It would also be cool to see network usage broken down by port/service/IP, etc so you can find out exactly where traffic is coming from/going to.

Just a couple things that I could think of to add. Of course, I would love to see it be able to monitor an ESXi node, I would be s-s-s-sold, but I realize that's probably out of your scope and probably considered a niche feature. Anyhow, I love the service as it is now -- please don't take it away from me! :P