Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

13th anniversary promotions - NVMe Compute & RAID10 Storage VMs - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

13th anniversary promotions - NVMe Compute & RAID10 Storage VMs

Comments

• batrabatra Member

out of stock?

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 7

@webcraft said:

@chrisleunglsn said:
    Has anyone encountered an issue with the CPU model changing after restoring a snapshot?

Before: 7443
    After: 7513

I encountered this, not only after restoring a snapshot, but never registered this as an issue. The performance of those models is similar. Afaik the 7402P is the only model with slightly (and probably negliable) less performance. Unless your software is configured for a specific CPU model (in that case a VM isn't recommended anyways), there shouldn't be any notable difference.

This is by design, and was added a few months ago. When we moved to our own backend panel (moving away from solusvm), we needed to come up something that had smarter load balancing.

So now, whenever a new VM is provisioned, or an existing VM is reinstalled, it looks at the node's usage (current load, CPU idle %, RAM usage and so on), and compares it with other nodes in the same cluster, and chooses the best/most underloaded node. In a way, you are actually getting an upgrade, since 2.7 GHz on a underloaded node compared to 2.8 GHz on a fully loaded node is better.

Now I assume by writing this info, we will have a few people trying to abuse the hell out of reinstalls, and we'll need to come up with a solution to fix that, but we are trying to make the service better for everyone by doing this, not worse. :)

(it does not change the generation of the CPUs, so zen3 remains zen3, zen2 remains zen2, etc)

• 1nf1nf Member

@hosthatch Before I hand over my info to make an account may I ask if there is any stock left?

edited May 7

@1nf said:
    @hosthatch Before I hand over my info to make an account may I ask if there is any stock left?

These promo expired on 2nd May, so no, unfortunately.

I will try and see if we have enough capacity, and we can make them available for 24h later this month. But cannot promise.

• prozac202prozac202 Member

We are close to 10 days since promo started (my invoice is from 28th April) - any news on when storage vps going to be ready ?

• emghemgh Member

@Mumbly got your server yet?

@prozac202 said:
    We are close to 10 days since promo started (my invoice is from 28th April) - any news on when storage vps going to be ready ?

What is the setup time?

The setup time is 10 working days (2 weeks).

• prozac202prozac202 Member

@hosthatch sorry, I was thinking 10 calendar days. Thansk for clarification

• RealChaikaRealChaika Member

like christmas morning
    I do not have an addiction ;p

• zGatozGato Member
    edited May 7

@RealChaika said:
    like christmas morning
    I do not have an addiction ;p

what mail client are you using? looks super nice
    also, enjoy your goodies :)

• RealChaikaRealChaika Member
    edited May 7

@zGato said: what mail client are you using? looks super nice

Fastmail Web UI, it is really nice and fast :smile:

Thanked by 1zGato
  • emghemgh Member

Got both my servers delivered now as well

@prozac202 said:
    @hosthatch sorry, I was thinking 10 calendar days. Thansk for clarification

No worries. Storage VMs will take a bit longer to deliver because we had to code in the new changes (multiple drives per VM, etc) and want to make sure it works well before delivering new VMs.

We just say two weeks because we do not want to be spammed with "where is my server" tickets :)

Thanked by 1YassGames
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 7

@hosthatch said:

@Headfirst said:
    Anyone else just come up from a 7 hour outage in NYC?

Yes, sorry, we had one node that was affected but it should have been resolved with a simple reboot in under 10 minutes. RFO will be sent out in a few hours. We screwed up this one. Sorry again.

Can you please post this here as well or anywhere where unaffected clients will get to see it? I'm just interested in what caused a simple reboot to take 7 hours, although I intend no blame, managing servers in the amount of locations that you guys do in (relative to the amount of locations) such a small team must come with its difficulties)

@emgh said:

Can you please post this here as well or anywhere where unaffected clients will get to see it?

I'm afraid not. Just like we do not plan on sharing the thousands of tickets we deal with every month for many different problems.

Thanked by 1YassGames
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 7

@hosthatch said: Just like we do not plan on sharing the thousands of tickets we deal with every month for many different problems.

I'm not sure comparing private tickets with an RFO sent to several clients is a very good comparison.

@emgh said:

@hosthatch said: Just like we do not plan on sharing the thousands of tickets we deal with every month for many different problems.

I'm not sure comparing private tickets with an RTO sent to several clients is a very good comparison.

I see your point, sharing how we deal with issues in public is a good idea for transparency, but is not the industry standard (if I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me and show me where Linode/DO/Hetzner are posting issues that affect <50 customers), nor do we plan to make it our own standard, because there are multiple issues every day that will affect more than a single customer at our scale, and we would need to have a special thread just for those issues.

We've got a working ticket system, and try to update any affected customers of any issues that affect them directly. So to answer your question, we do not plan on sharing each RFO (or this one) here because it will set a clearly wrong expectation for the future, but if an affected customer decides to share it, we have nothing against it.

• emghemgh Member

@hosthatch said: if I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me and show me where Linode/DO/Hetzner are posting issues that affect <50 customers

I'd say that's different. Nobody expects Digital Ocean (a publicly traded company now) to release any details that might not look very good the eyes of the public. In fact, I'd say that they have an obligation not to, as going above and beyond to let people know about a mistake on their part wouldn't only cause them harm, but also their thousands of investors that have nothing to do with the company. I'd most definitely understand them doing something like that as poor management.

Also, it's not like no company is doing it. Google "reason for outage" filetype:pdf and you'll find plenty.

That said, I fully understand your position about not wanting to set an expectation to always share an RFO openly. That's a good point.

• MumblyMumbly Member

@emgh said: @Mumbly got your server yet?

Oh, yes I got it yesterday around that time and it's a true "machine" :)

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-04-22                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Tue May  7 21:41:59 CEST 2024

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7513 32-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 2595.124 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 5.8 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 68.7 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
    Kernel     : 6.1.0-21-amd64
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : HostHatch
    ASN        : AS63473 HostHatch, LLC
    Host       : HostHatch, LLC
    Location   : Vienna, Vienna (9)
    Country    : Austria

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 166.47 MB/s  (41.6k) | 2.13 GB/s    (33.3k)
    Write      | 166.91 MB/s  (41.7k) | 2.14 GB/s    (33.5k)
    Total      | 333.38 MB/s  (83.3k) | 4.27 GB/s    (66.8k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 4.47 GB/s     (8.7k) | 4.82 GB/s     (4.7k)
    Write      | 4.70 GB/s     (9.1k) | 5.14 GB/s     (5.0k)
    Total      | 9.17 GB/s    (17.9k) | 9.96 GB/s     (9.7k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 7.33 Gbits/sec  | 4.08 Gbits/sec  | 24.1 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | 9.04 Gbits/sec  | 5.23 Gbits/sec  | --
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | busy            | busy            | 38.2 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.43 Gbits/sec  | 1.31 Gbits/sec  | 84.2 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 420 Mbits/sec   | 393 Mbits/sec   | 296 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 7.23 Mbits/sec  | 152 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.59 Gbits/sec  | 1.68 Gbits/sec  | 98.1 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 827 Mbits/sec   | 511 Mbits/sec   | 158 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 7.55 Gbits/sec  | 3.96 Gbits/sec  | 24.2 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | busy            | busy            | --
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.84 Gbits/sec  | 1.10 Gbits/sec  | 84.5 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 422 Mbits/sec   | 537 Mbits/sec   | 294 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 937 Mbits/sec   | 1.08 Gbits/sec  | 152 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.67 Gbits/sec  | 1.62 Gbits/sec  | 97.1 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 956 Mbits/sec   | 704 Mbits/sec   | 158 ms

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1729
    Multi Core      | 3192

Thanked by 2emgh maverick
  • aaxaaaaxaa Member

YABS in London
    4 CPU Cores
    12G RAM

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-04-22                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Tue May  7 21:37:11 UTC 2024

Basic System Information:
    Uptime     : 0 days, 3 hours, 15 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7R13 48-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 2645.030 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 11.7 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 135.3 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-46-generic
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : HostHatch
    ASN        : AS63473 HostHatch, LLC
    Host       : HostHatch, LLC
    Location   : London, England (ENG)
    Country    : United Kingdom

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 183.01 MB/s  (45.7k) | 1.77 GB/s    (27.7k)
    Write      | 183.49 MB/s  (45.8k) | 1.78 GB/s    (27.9k)
    Total      | 366.50 MB/s  (91.6k) | 3.56 GB/s    (55.7k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 4.39 GB/s     (8.5k) | 4.82 GB/s     (4.7k)
    Write      | 4.62 GB/s     (9.0k) | 5.14 GB/s     (5.0k)
    Total      | 9.02 GB/s    (17.6k) | 9.96 GB/s     (9.7k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 8.53 Gbits/sec  | 7.71 Gbits/sec  | 2.50 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | 8.62 Gbits/sec  | 8.62 Gbits/sec  | --
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | busy            | busy            | 33.4 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.43 Gbits/sec  | 859 Mbits/sec   | 105 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 385 Mbits/sec   | 504 Mbits/sec   | 308 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.14 Gbits/sec  | 1.15 Gbits/sec  | 135 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 2.25 Gbits/sec  | 1.88 Gbits/sec  | 74.5 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 601 Mbits/sec   | 616 Mbits/sec   | 227 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 8.80 Gbits/sec  | 7.13 Gbits/sec  | 2.64 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | busy            | busy            | --
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.50 Gbits/sec  | 1.17 Gbits/sec  | 106 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 394 Mbits/sec   | 505 Mbits/sec   | 306 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.14 Gbits/sec  | 1.09 Gbits/sec  | 135 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 2.23 Gbits/sec  | 1.87 Gbits/sec  | 74.2 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 603 Mbits/sec   | 649 Mbits/sec   | 229 ms

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1674
    Multi Core      | 5135
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/6002854

YABS completed in 13 min 56 sec

• risturizristuriz Member

@hosthatch said: In the future, we plan to offer HDD and NVMe block storage, so separating OS disks and HDD disks is a good step towards that.

This is awesome...2025?

• asderik5633asderik5633 Member
    edited May 7

@Daniel15 said:

@webcraft said:

@asderik5633 said:
    There will be Ubuntu 24.04 LTS available any time soon ?

The entire ISO and Template lineup could be refreshed.. most are over a year old. You can of course just update it or for instance upgrade from Ubuntu 22.04 to 24.04 but it's inconvenient.

All you need is netboot.xyz. You can upload your own ISO too.

I am not that familiar with netboot.xyz but I wanted to give it a try today that I received the VPS from Hosthatch.
    It doesn't work. I assume because there is no amd64 support for Ubuntu 24 yet ?

dbed3
    foto gratuite download

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 7

@asderik5633 said: I am not that familiar with netboot.xyz but I wanted to give it a try today that I received the VPS from Hosthatch.

You don't need netboot to install Ubuntu 24.04. Simply add the Ubuntu 24.04 ISO.

amd64 server version: https://releases.ubuntu.com/noble/ubuntu-24.04-live-server-amd64.iso

• @emgh said:

@asderik5633 said: I am not that familiar with netboot.xyz but I wanted to give it a try today that I received the VPS from Hosthatch.

You don't need netboot to install Ubuntu 24.04. Simply add the Ubuntu 24.04 ISO.

amd64 server version: https://releases.ubuntu.com/noble/ubuntu-24.04-live-server-amd64.iso

Sorry for the super noob question, but how do I upload an ISO in the Hosthatch back office ?

bdbbwu

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 7

@asderik5633 said: Sorry for the super noob question, but how do I upload an ISO in the Hosthatch back office ?

No problem, happy to help

Adding it:

https://cloud.hosthatch.com/images

Installing it:

The page you're already on.

• asderik5633asderik5633 Member
    edited May 7

@emgh said:

@asderik5633 said: Sorry for the super noob question, but how do I upload an ISO in the Hosthatch back office ?

No problem, happy to help

Adding it:

https://cloud.hosthatch.com/images

Installing it:

The page you're already on.

Thanks.
    I tried it but too be honest it's a very annoying procedure, lots of boring things to set (computer name, keyboard, snaps, etc etc) and at the very end I was given an error message (probably because I continued without waiting in a step).

In my mind I was expecting a much more clean installation, like the native x64 we have in the default Hosthatch Ubuntu, so I will likely wait for them to update their supported ISO (and meanwhile stay with Ubuntu 22).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

@asderik5633 said: I tried it but too be honest it's a very annoying procedure, lots of boring things to set

That's what installing from ISO is like. There's ways to automate it, but in general it's the same as if you were to install the OS on your computer. You probably want to install from an image. Hosthatch may need to add newer images in that case.

@Daniel15 said: Hosthatch may need to add newer images in that case.

This should happen by the end of this week at the latest.

• YassGamesYassGames Member
    edited May 8

4 CPU cores (1 dedicated core, 3 fairly shared cores) ROME/MILAN
    8 GB RAM
    100 GB NVMe storage
    10 TB premium bandwidth
    $55 per year
    (1.5X RAM, storage, and double bandwidth for 3 year payments)

Anyone get one of these in LA with the three year payment got regret and want to transfer it away? I'm wishing I had gotten one there in addition to my others and would pay for it + the transfer fee

• YassGamesYassGames Member

@hosthatch said:

@1nf said:

These promo expired on 2nd May, so no, unfortunately.

I will try and see if we have enough capacity, and we can make them available for 24h later this month. But cannot promise.

Here's hoping!