Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC in 2024!? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC in 2024!?

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited March 5

Took a quick look. Really nice! :) I liked tthe website. I liked that I actually could see immediately, at the bottom of the index page, the name of someone involved with the project! <3

For me, for now, I'm trying to stick with shell and C.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Tom

How about the following minimal attempt at organizing information about the projects pointed to by kind folks like you?

Name
    ----

Repository link
    Website link
    License link
    Programming language
    Comments

Weechat

https://github.com/weechat/weechat

https://weechat.org/

GNU General Public License v3.0

C, C++, Python, CMake, Shell, PHP

Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • moodwritermoodwriter Member
    edited March 5

Ehh, those good/fun/carefree times.

irc.funet.fi
    irc.ludd.luth.se
    irc.uni-erlangen.de

• many more

I still remember them by memory.

Also was friend with some dude who got incredible skills to talk to ircops to add custom I lines for my hosts. It was awesome - nobody else from my country was able to connect to some l33t irc servers. Those 3 2 (not uni-erlangen) I mentioned was public, accessible for all.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@moodwriter said:
    Ehh, those good/fun/carefree times.

irc.funet.fi
    irc.ludd.luth.se
    irc.uni-erlangen.de

• many more

I still remember them by memory.

Also was friend with some dude who got incredible skills to talk to ircops to add custom I lines for my hosts. It was awesome - nobody else from my country was able to connect to some l33t irc servers. Those 3 2 (not uni-erlangen) I mentioned was public, accessible for all.

http://www.nic.funet.fi/~irc/old.from.lut.gopher/server/server.list

Those were the days :smiley:

Thanked by 2maverick moodwriter
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited March 5

@totally_not_banned said: Agreed. Everything that wants to know your phone number will never be a serious option.

This is my second biggest issue with it.

@Carlin0 said: Discord also wants to know your panty size

I'd rather provide that than my telephone number, since it rejected mine anyways.

• edited March 5

@DP said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@Carlin0 said:
    Discord also wants to know your panty size

Agreed. Everything that wants to know your phone number will never be a serious option.

The only reason I'm on Discord is to keep in touch with some LE* folks and some other friends of an online game which I used to be a GM of years ago.

Other than that, I'm fine with just IRC, Signal and Session :smiley:

Yeah, it's kinda the same for me. Peer pressure finally made me get an account a couple years back. There isn't really anything else left i use these days. For a while i used XMPP (mainly through Gajim) but it's kind of annoying (encryption is a mess too, even if omemo mostly works) and even after 25 years still usually won't do voice at least 1on1, so i dropped it. Sometimes i dream about improving Mumbleweb and call it NDDiscord (ND standing for Non-Sucking) but time... Oh, well...

• edited March 5

@kevinds said:

@Carlin0 said: Discord also wants to know your panty size

I'd rather provide that than my telephone number.

My recommendation would be to get some cheap prepaid sim for internet nonsense (and ideally some old 5€ dumbphone for convenience of not having to swap sims around). If your country requires registration for that UK and similar sims are available on Ebay for a couple €/$. The only drawback is obviously keeping the sim alive by topping up once a year or so, which depending on the operator might be more or less annoying.

@totally_not_banned said: My recommendation would be to get some cheap prepaid sim for internet nonsense (and ideally some old 5€ dumbphone for convenience of not having to swap sims around).

Or... Just not use the nonsense internet services..

Use a carrier board to activate the second 'sim slot' in my laptop would be my likely route.

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

@Not_Oles said:

Took a quick look. Really nice! :) I liked tthe website. I liked that I actually could see immediately, at the bottom of the index page, the name of someone involved with the project! <3

Tom

I'm glad you liked it, I've been using it for several years ;)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @kevinds said:

@totally_not_banned said: My recommendation would be to get some cheap prepaid sim for internet nonsense (and ideally some old 5€ dumbphone for convenience of not having to swap sims around).

Or... Just not use the nonsense internet services..

Yeah, that's obviously preferable. Sadly 99% of the internet is nonsense these days and (at least for me) it's not always possible to 100% avoid it.

Thanked by 1chitree

Yeah, that's obviously preferable. Sadly 99% of the internet is nonsense these days and (at least for me) it's not always possible to 100% avoid it.

Maybe not 100%, but I do my best.. lol Stupid me let my Google Voice number expire and now I can't get another one.

I now have two services that require my telephone number to sign into because I can't find replacements for them.. The one allows RFC6238 for a lot of things now but still occasionally wants to call or send an SMS..

The second's demand for telephone numbers is fairly recent, mid 2023 but I think I have a path to not be required.. Maybe I can get them to use something more secure.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
    iircII
    ------

https://ircii.warped.com/
    http://www.eterna23.net/ircii/
    BSD license in ircii/doc/Copyright
    Latest release 20240111, current version 20240203

IIRC (get the joke?), ircII might be what i was using a long time ago. :)

Wikipedia says that ircII was released in the late 1980s and is the oldest IRC client still maintained.

The current version seems to have compiled okay on my aarm64 Chromebook.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited March 6

@kevinds said:
    let my Google Voice number expire and now I can't get another one.

Why can't you get another Google Voice number?

@JosephF said:
    Why can't you get another Google Voice number?

System asks for my number, calls it, I enter the code it tells me, accepts it, and then it has me redo the process on the next page, but not accepting the same telephone number it just called.

Beyond that, no idea.. So stupid me for letting it expire..

• daviddavid Member

I still have my google voice number from it's Grand Central days. It's just set to go to voicemail now, but it's handy.

I just set up a Matrix account and installed FluffyChat, for the sole purpose of accessing the LineageOS for MicroG build status. Because that's where it is posted. Just there.

And I have a Telegram account (with google voice). I installed the android app on my phone, because you have to do it from a phone, then installed the desktop client, linked it, and removed the app. Because Telegram is the only place a lot of info on phone firmware is posted.

I've dome similarly for Discord at some point, but there's nothing there I care much for, thankfully.

I really dislike Discord, and also don't care much for Telegram and the others. I never used irc much, and don't use it currently.

I don't have a solution, but tired of all the walled gardens and horrible user interfaces required to get at some bit of info.

• nobizzlenobizzle Member
    edited March 6

@Carlin0 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Tom

I'm glad you liked it, I've been using it for several years ;)

I'm a long time Linux user now. Back in the days I've been on mIRC for sure (Peace and Protection Full Script ftw). Since I've been with Linux I missed mircza lot. I used HexChat for a while but to be honest: it's crap.

I'm with WeeChat for about one year now and once I get used to it's just awesome. So many scripts and also integrations with other services like Slack or Matrix (which I don't use, but still).

If you are on Linux, use WeeChat.

Thanked by 2Carlin0 Not_Oles
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

While i pretty much agree with the second part, i think the first part is a bit, well, let's say euphemistic. Sure, IRC works and it isn't half bad but it's also in parts pretty clunky and lacks quite a bit of useful functionality. Some stuff could at least be added by hacks and duct tape (like Nickserv/Chanserv and friends) but there won't ever be any voice functionality or integrated storage. I totally see the upsides of an open system but outdated is still outdated and while IRC sure is no XMPP calling the protocol elegant is also rather far fetched.

But why would I want voice functionality or integrated storage in a text chat?
    I've been using irc for over 30 years, probably closer to 40 (yes, I used it when it was still called MUT) and never ever have I thought "oh, I wish it had integrated voice or storage". Never, not even once. But that's because I use irc for what it was intended, to chat in text.

If you want to communicate by voice or transfer files, why would you use a text based chat? That's like trying to hammer a nail using a screwdriver. Sure, with a lot of work and customizations you might be able to do it, but it will never work very well because it is not the right tool for the job.

• bootboot Member

debian + znc + guake + irssi

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@boot said:

Without screen? :)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • bootboot Member

@Mumbly said:

@boot said:

Without screen? :)

Yep. I like living on the edge man.

• @rcy026 said:

While i pretty much agree with the second part, i think the first part is a bit, well, let's say euphemistic. Sure, IRC works and it isn't half bad but it's also in parts pretty clunky and lacks quite a bit of useful functionality. Some stuff could at least be added by hacks and duct tape (like Nickserv/Chanserv and friends) but there won't ever be any voice functionality or integrated storage. I totally see the upsides of an open system but outdated is still outdated and while IRC sure is no XMPP calling the protocol elegant is also rather far fetched.

I've been using irc for over 30 years, probably closer to 40 (yes, I used it when it was still called MUT) and never ever have I thought "oh, I wish it had integrated voice or storage". Never, not even once. But that's because I use irc for what it was intended, to chat in text.

If you want to communicate by voice or transfer files, why would you use a text based chat? That's like trying to hammer a nail using a screwdriver. Sure, with a lot of work and customizations you might be able to do it, but it will never work very well because it is not the right tool for the job.

IRC evolved and matured in times of resource constrained environments, forcing developers to follow the keep it simple stupid, do one thing and do it well mindset. It was in steps such as extensibility through services, SSL support. At some point file transfers were introduced, which was actually kind of out of scope IMO. The lack of account management or anything not there, is a feature. A world where we agreed on that IRC is good enough, using ultra-thin 33mhz with OLED on 100mW, 7 day battery life, could have been possible so early with that mindset. FOSS is very active on Libera, OFTC etc. Nerds from all kinds of big names and ages hang around here. True hackers, in that context, love it.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @boot said:

Thumbs for guake! Great terminal.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles boot
  • Carlin0Carlin0 Member

For the shy click here :D

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@david said: tired of all the walled gardens and horrible user interfaces required to get at some bit of inf

+1 I don't like being negative, but this really says a lot. :)

Thanked by 2david chitree
  • tdworztdworz Member
    edited March 6

Matrix is the modern equivalent to IRC. It is FOSS, has the same features plus modern features similar to proprietary tools like Discord and Slack, and has many clients on many platforms (that are not abandoned like so many IRC clients). There aren't many stable server implementations yet as the standards are still very fresh, but the basics are solid and the few that are out there are very good.

Basics: https://joinmatrix.org/
    Technical Basics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(protocol)
    Protocol Homepage: https://matrix.org/
    Clients: https://matrix.org/ecosystem/clients/
    Servers: https://matrix.org/ecosystem/servers/
    Bridges: https://matrix.org/ecosystem/bridges/

To just try it, there are plenty of public home servers: https://servers.joinmatrix.org/

Thanked by 2chitree maverick
  • edited March 6

@rcy026 said:

Well, because i actually use these kinds of services and having X different handles, popups, notices, windows, whatever sucks (+ wastes time).

By your logic i'm not allowed to (text-)chat over Discord or Teamspeak? No offense but this is a bit weird ;) Well, joking aside i'm glad it works for you but my usage seems to be a bit more varied. What i certainly don't need are voice messages - those are cancer - but being able to hit a button and talk instead of typing my fingers off explaining stuff is something that's very dear to me (and not really asking that much in 2024 i think).

• nobizzlenobizzle Member

@rcy026 said:

And that's why it is not directly included but cam be added with add-ons or scripts. If you use WeeChat in a very basic way it does all the basic things you want from an irc client, bit you'll be able to do almost everything with keyboard shortcuts. Once you get used to it, it's the most basic yet useful IRC client out there.

@JoeMerit said:
    Come to #lowendtalk on irc.libera.chat and we'll talk about it!

*** Not_Oles (~Not_Oles@$IPv6) has joined channel #lowendtalk

• rcy026rcy026 Member

By your logic i'm not allowed to (text-)chat over Discord or Teamspeak? No offense but this is a bit weird ;) Well, joking aside i'm glad it works for you but my usage seems to be a bit more varied. What i certainly don't need are voice messages - those are cancer - but being able to hit a button and talk instead of typing my fingers off explaining stuff is something that's very dear to me (and not really asking that much in 2024 i think).

Of course you are allowed to text chat with Discord and Teamspeak, they both support text chat, dont they? Irc never claimed to support voice.

You are allowed to do whatever you want with whatever you want, but if you chose the wrong tool to do a certain task, do not complain if it does not work. If you want textchat, use irc. If you want voice, use something that supports voice. If you want filetransfer, then use a filesharing service. Using a 40 year old protocol designed for text and text only and then complain that it does not support voice does not make much sense, does it?

What I'm trying to say is use the right tool for the job. Complaining that irc does not support voice is like complaining that a new car is a lousy land mower. If course it is, it was never designed to do that and no sane person would expect it to.

If I enter "/who *" when I might be in the #lowendtalk channel, I see

#lowendtal Not_Oles H ~Not_Oles@$IPv6 (*Unknown*)

as the first line of the output. But I think I am logged in to irc.libera.chat. If I "/msg NickServ IDENTIFY Not_Oles $PASSWORD" I get a message saying "-NickServ- You are already logged in as Not_Oles."

Since the channel is set to "+nrt" does the "Unknown" mean that I can not send a message to the channel?

Thanks! :)

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@nobizzle said:
    And that's why it is not directly included but cam be added with add-ons or scripts. If you use WeeChat in a very basic way it does all the basic things you want from an irc client, bit you'll be able to do almost everything with keyboard shortcuts. Once you get used to it, it's the most basic yet useful IRC client out there.

I've been a die-hard irsii user for 20 years, I'll switch client when I'm dead!
    I have a keyboard shortcut that launches my ssh client, connects to my vps and resumes my screen where irsii is running, so yes, I already do everything with keyboard shortcuts.

Thanked by 1hyperblast