Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC in 2024!? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC in 2024!?

Comments

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 5

@Not_Oles said:
    Hexchat is / was a nice, open source, cross platform GTK graphical IRC client. Maybe someone will pick up and continue the Hexchat project?

I am not sure if there's really a need for that at all. Like @totally_not_banned said above, IRC didn't change much over the last two decades, plenty of us still use good old psyBNC (the last proper version was released 2005) or old IRC clients like mIRC, IRSSI... etc. (any BitchX user here? :D)
    IRCnet (one of the biggest and oldest IRC networks) still runs on 2.11.2p3 IRCd version released 15 years ago.
    HexChat from 2024 won't be outdated anytime soon.

• edited March 5

@DP said:

@totally_not_banned said: Given it's massive popularity 20 years back it will totally drag along for a couple more decades but it will also hardly see any new people.

True.

The sad thing is that isn't any actual alternative. Centralization aside, beyond the annoying forced Electron client Discord is for the most part a quite well made piece of software with no real competition.

XMPP makes a couple steps forward from where IRC left off but at the same time being so crazily overengineered that the result is hardly going to go anywhere (which is basically the time proven assessment - ~25 years of XMPP and still 99% of all people wouldn't even know what it is) and as much as i want to like it it's simply way to annoying to in practical usage. Let alone recommending to other - god forbid maybe even non-technical - people. IRC on the other hand used to thrive on the fact that a big portion of the userbase just came for the social aspects.

Then there's Matrix, which seems to be a convoluted mess, which (from what i understand) is quite resource hungry and makes calculating the actual risks of using it pretty hard. I'll openly admit that i didn't spend a lot of time looking into it as the whole project seems pretty off-putting to me, but i think it's save to say that this won't be an IRC replacement either.

And beyond that there's only really niche stuff. TOX seems to be gaining a bit of traction but then i don't even know if it does multiuser chat or offers anything akin to a channel list at all. It's also a pretty unique approach from what i understand, so likely not really the next IRC either. If i wouldn't have so much on my plate already designing some kind of upgraded IRC would be a ton of fun but sadly time is precious and i also don't think it wouldn't go that far beyond being fun.

@Mumbly said:

@Not_Oles said:
    Hexchat is / was a nice, open source, cross platform GTK graphical IRC client. Maybe someone will pick up and continue the Hexchat project?

I am not sure if there's really a need for that at all. Like @totally_not_banned said above, IRC didn't change much over the last two decades, plenty of us still use good old psyBNC (the last proper version was released 2005) or old IRC clients like mIRC, IRSSI... etc. (any BitchX user here? :D)
    IRCnet (one of the biggest and oldest IRC networks) still runs on 2.11.2p3 IRCd version released 15 years ago.

Yeah, the only problem that might arise is the dreaded switch from GTK2 to GTK4. I have no idea where Hexchat stands in that regard but i'd totally understand the authors not being interested in sacrificing their time just to follow the nowadays everchanging GTK api. I'm a total GTK fanboy myself but i doubt that to be the case for a long anymore as the newer versions pretty much suck and the Gnome project is also doing everything in their power to piss off independent devs.

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

@Mumbly said:
    plenty of us still use good old psyBNC (the last proper version was released 2005)

You could upgrade to znc, the latest version was released a few days ago ...

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @totally_not_banned said:

@DP said:

@totally_not_banned said: Given it's massive popularity 20 years back it will totally drag along for a couple more decades but it will also hardly see any new people.

True.

The sad thing is that isn't any actual alternative. Centralization aside, beyond the annoying forced Electron client Discord is for the most part a quite well made piece of software with no real competition.

XMPP makes a couple steps forward from where IRC left off but at the same time being so crazily overengineered that the result is hardly going to go anywhere (which is basically the time proven assessment - ~25 years of XMPP and still 99% of all people wouldn't even know what it is) and as much as i want to like it it's simply way to annoying to in practical usage. Let alone recommending to other - god forbid maybe even non-technical - people. IRC on the other hand used to thrive on the fact that a big portion of the userbase just came for the social aspects.

Then there's Matrix, which seems to be a convoluted mess, which (from what i understand) is quite resource hungry and makes calculating the actual risks of using it pretty hard. I'll openly admit that i didn't spend a lot of time looking into it as the whole project seems pretty off-putting to me, but i think it's save to say that this won't be an IRC replacement either.

And beyond that there's only really niche stuff. TOX seems to be gaining a bit of traction but then i don't even know if it does multiuser chat or offers anything akin to a channel list at all. It's also a pretty unique approach from what i understand, so likely not really the next IRC either. If i wouldn't have so much on my plate already designing some kind of upgraded IRC would be a ton of fun but sadly time is precious and i also don't think it wouldn't go that far beyond being fun.

@Mumbly said:

@Not_Oles said:

Yeah, the only problem that might arise is the dreaded switch from GTK2 to GTK4. I have no idea where Hexchat stands in that regard but i'd totally understand the authors not being interested in sacrificing their time just to follow the nowadays everchanging GTK api. I'm a total GTK fanboy myself but i doubt that to be the case for a long anymore as the newer versions pretty much suck and the Gnome project is also doing everything in their power to piss off independent devs.

Telegram is competition.

• edited March 5

@techdragon said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@DP said:

True.

@Mumbly said:

@Not_Oles said:

Telegram is competition.

Well, yeah but i was rather looking at open competition. At the end of the day Telegram is much of a proprietary and centralized solution as is Discord, so from an IRC fans point of view it's not really an interesting alternative. Besides, i don't really see Telegram posing much of a threat to Discord in general, even if it surely got a sizeable userbase.

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

@techdragon said:
    Telegram is competition.

Telegram is the "fish market"... they also sell nicknames

• I remember EFNet on Usenet is this still going ?

• coldcold Member

@JosephF said:
    Is EFNet (or IRCNet, Undernet, DALNet) still going strong?

yes, but pretty much dead. I'm on ircnet and undernet still, for the sake of the good old times

• dapavndapavn Member, Patron Provider

For the IRC server, I'd recommend looking into InspIRCd or Unrealircd. Both are solid options and offer good performance and flexibility.

When it comes to services bots, Anope and Atheme are popular choices. Anope, especially, has a strong connection with InspIRCd, which could be beneficial for your setup.

As for the bouncer, ZNC is widely used and reliable. It'll help keep you connected and provide a seamless experience across devices.

Keep in mind, though, that setting up and configuring your own server can be quite involved, so don't hesitate to reach out for help if you run into any hurdles along the way.

And while hosting your own server is a fantastic learning experience, if you're just looking to jump into IRC for casual use, services like IRCCloud might be worth considering. They offer bouncer-like benefits and work well through web browsers and mobile apps.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you the best of luck on your IRC journey!

• if you want to experiment with new technologies https://github.com/ergochat/ergo
    if you are looking for bouncers, i'd recommend thelounge https://thelounge.chat/

• @DP said: I'm still on them.

Still hanging around with with the high council?

• ntlxntlx Member

@davide said:
    I just remembered that I have an IRC logger currently running that has been on 24/7 for 15 years logging garbage chats to disk. Forgot about it years ago.

Damn you just reminded me that I've got something like this happening as well. I'll go check later today and see just how huge those files are now, they've not been running for nearly as long, but it's gotta be at least 7 or 8 years now, and on a pretty active channel.

• ntlxntlx Member

The thing about IRC is that it didn't evolve in like 20 years.

For some of us, this is a feature and not a bug. I totally understand why people want to use something like Discord or Telegram or any number of other apps, and I use those too myself (kind of have to, at this point), but, I still prefer using something like IRC. I guess I'm "old school" in that way. Personally it just feels better not having everything you're typing and doing in Discord being sent out to some server controlled by a shady Chinese company like Tencent anyway.

Thanked by 1LTGT
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Not_Oles said:

@Not_Oles said:
    Guys, how about the Simple IRC Client (sic) from suckless.org?

"The suckless client sic provides a good tiny irc client but it is a bit too hardcore to use it on a daily basis. First, sic input is driven by a standard fgets and hence, no line editing goodies are supported except the ones provided by the tty kernel driver (^U ^H and friends). Second, sic will mess up the output if a message appears while typing a line. Third, sic does not multiplex channels (but it is a feature!). Finally, I wanted my client to provide infinite scrollback."

-- https://c9x.me/irc/

chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ ls
    irc.c  Makefile  README
    chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ make
    cc -std=c99 -Os -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=201112 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_CURSES -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE    irc.c  -lncursesw -lssl -lcrypto -o irc
    chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ ls
    irc  irc.c  Makefile  README
    chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ 

Now all I have to do is read about libera.chat and actually try it. :) But, it's getting late here. 😴 So maybe tomorrow. :)

https://tools.suckless.org/ii/

@DP said:

@Not_Oles said: I want to set up my own IRC server, and an IRC bouncer, and an IRC client. 🤠

No need for server, no need for bouncer.

screen/tmux + irssi 👌

Like @JoeMerit mentioned, we have #lowendtalk on LiberaChat if you want to come chill, or idle.

[09:44] :: Irssi: #lowendtalk: Total of 46 nicks

@DP

From the Arch wiki: " Irssi is a modular, ncurses based IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client."

Even c9x's irc uses curses. "The display mechanism uses any standard curses library." -- https://c9x.me/irc/

What's a good IRC client which stays in line mode and doesn't use curses or ncurses? 🙃

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • edited March 5

@ntlx said:

The thing about IRC is that it didn't evolve in like 20 years.

For some of us, this is a feature and not a bug. I totally understand why people want to use something like Discord or Telegram or any number of other apps, and I use those too myself (kind of have to, at this point), but, I still prefer using something like IRC. I guess I'm "old school" in that way. Personally it just feels better not having everything you're typing and doing in Discord being sent out to some server controlled by a shady Chinese company like Tencent anyway.

While i pretty much agree with the second part, i think the first part is a bit, well, let's say euphemistic. Sure, IRC works and it isn't half bad but it's also in parts pretty clunky and lacks quite a bit of useful functionality. Some stuff could at least be added by hacks and duct tape (like Nickserv/Chanserv and friends) but there won't ever be any voice functionality or integrated storage. I totally see the upsides of an open system but outdated is still outdated and while IRC sure is no XMPP calling the protocol elegant is also rather far fetched.

• edited March 5

@Not_Oles said:
    What's a good IRC client which stays in line mode and doesn't use curses or ncurses? 🙃

I doubt you'll find much in this regard as having even some semi-complex UI without those (or something similar) isn't all that realistic due to not being able to repaint the screen and stuff like that. Given any such client will be super simple you could probably even script something like that though. Just send your nick to the server and print everything that comes back while providing a handful of commands for joining channels and sending messages. I figure that won't come down to more than a lowish 3 digit number of lines in most languages.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Found https://rcr.io/rirc/ repo https://sr.ht/~rcr/rirc/

Taking a quick look, rirc doesn't seem to use curses, and it definitely does seem impressively well organized. But rirc seems to store channels in buffers, wheras what I think I want is to allow everything to scroll up like an old fashioned roll of paper terminal. Something like TERM=clueless™ TERM=dumb :)

• nobizzlenobizzle Member

It's been like 20 years that I was in so many (active) IRC channels and networks.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@ionfusion said:

@DP said: I'm still on them.

Hm, so whose alt are you, and which type? :smiley:

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @DP said:

@ionfusion said:

No one. There is more than 1 type?

@totally_not_banned said: Just send your nick to the server and print everything that comes back while providing a handful of commands for joining channels and sending messages.

Sounds like irc2!

For more backstory context, see https://web.archive.org/web/20210212162456/https://mcpcpc.com/2021/02/12/netcat-irc-client.html

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • APIAPI Member

@Not_Oles said:

@totally_not_banned said: Just send your nick to the server and print everything that comes back while providing a handful of commands for joining channels and sending messages.

Sounds like irc2!

For more backstory context, see https://web.archive.org/web/20210212162456/https://mcpcpc.com/2021/02/12/netcat-irc-client.html

Very impressive, less than 40 LOC

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Carlin0Carlin0 Member
    Thanked by 1Not_Oles
    edited March 5

@ionfusion said:

@DP said:

@ionfusion said:

Oh, of course.

1. New/alt account to evade previous ban(s).
    2. New/alt account to participate in giveaways.
    3. New/alt account to shill, ask questions, troll, attack others etc.
    4. New/alt account to add into an existing portfolio of alts, for various purposes.
    5. New/alt account to go about while claiming to have "forgotten" old/previous account details after taking a "break", but actually using other alts in between.

Seen all sorts ;)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@ntlx said: Personally it just feels better not having everything you're typing and doing in Discord being sent out to some server controlled by a shady Chinese company like Tencent anyway.

My biggest issue with Discord is the amount of resources the client uses..

Thanked by 1LTGT
  • Carlin0Carlin0 Member

Discord also wants to know your panty size

@DP said:

@ionfusion said:

@DP said:

@ionfusion said:

Oh, of course.

1. New/alt account to evade previous ban(s).
    2. New/alt account to participate in giveaways.
    3. New/alt account to shill, ask questions, troll, attack others etc.
    4. New/alt account to add into an existing portfolio of alts, for various purposes.
    5. New/alt account to go about while claiming to have "forgotten" old/previous account details after taking a "break", but actually using other alts in between.

Seen all sorts ;)

:star: @DP :star:

• @Carlin0 said:

Agreed. Everything that wants to know your phone number will never be a serious option.

Thanked by 2maverick chitree
    edited March 5

@Carlin0 said:

Agreed. Everything that wants to know your phone number will never be a serious option.

The only reason I'm on Discord is to keep in touch with some LE* folks and some other friends of an online game which I used to be a GM of years ago.

Other than that, I'm fine with just IRC, Signal and Session :smiley: