Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC in 2024!?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC in 2024!?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited March 4 in Help

It's been like 30 years since I last touched IRC. :)

I want to set up my own IRC server, and an IRC bouncer, and an IRC client. 🤠

How to start? Best, simplest, 100% open source, run on Linux or *BSD: IRC server, bouncer, and client? :)

Nothing against existing server servicess, but I want to self-host an IRC server, just for fun. Also, for right now, just IRC; no need for integration with other messaging services.

Comments

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Come to #lowendtalk on irc.libera.chat and we'll talk about it!

• bootboot Member

Ratbox

Thanked by 3Not_Oles DP ihatetonyy
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited March 4

Is EFNet (or IRCNet, Undernet, DALNet) still going strong?

• @JosephF said:

no, not anymore. Undernet most of the channels are for useless content.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@dedicados said:

@JosephF said:

What about the other IRC networks I mentioned?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 4

@Not_Oles - IRC is still popular nowadays. In my opinion is one of the most efficient ways of communication due to its simplicity and privacy.

If I were to recommend an IRCd server to compile, it would be InspIRCd or Unrealircd.

If I were to recommend a services bot, it would be Anope or Atheme. Please note that Anope has behind it one of the main developers of InspIRCd. Meanwhile Atheme has nice features too, but it does not support the latest connecting protocol of InspIRCd v4.

With regards to bouncer, I recommend ZNC.

Please note you might not need to open an IRC server and get into all the configurations required, since there are so many IRC networks available out there already.

Anyway, I wish you success.

• pacopaco Member

@dedicados said:

@JosephF said:

So... just like most of the internet then?

• bootboot Member

@JosephF said:

Not as strong as it once was, but there are still a good amount of users, and #channels that have persisted through time. I am in a couple of chans over 20 years old, and have some very good friends from them.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited March 4

For years I've been using IRCCloud which is an IRC client that provides IRC bouncer like benefits and works through web browsers and mobile apps.

A free account keeps the user connected for 2 hours while inactive (permanent for first 7 days) but there's a simple GO script that keeps users connected forever which can be run on any VPS or shell.

‏That's more than enough for my IRC usage today. ‏In distant past I used to have znc ‏but that's an overkill for me now, let alone hosting a server...

• @Not_Oles said: How to start? Best, simplest...

apt install ngircd

@Not_Oles said: bouncer, and client?

screen irssi

Simplicity is key!

@Not_Oles said: I want to set up my own IRC server

share the address once its up!

Thanked by 2Not_Oles DP
  • JerryHouJerryHou Member

I only know the clients, I use HexChat...

• JosephFJosephF Member

@JerryHou said:

How does it compare to mIRC?

• JosephFJosephF Member

From a usability and features standpoint, how does IRC compare to Discord?

• davidedavide Member

I just remembered that I have an IRC logger currently running that has been on 24/7 for 15 years logging garbage chats to disk. Forgot about it years ago.

Thanked by 2ntlx Shade
  • davidedavide Member

@JosephF said:

Tangent: regarding the usability of Discord's API documentation, it's trash. I wasn't able to get thru it and learn anything, it contains more pointless jokes than information.

• LeviLevi Member

IRC, nowadays surpassed and totaly destroyed by discord and alike. With more advanced apis.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@JoeMerit said:
    Come to #lowendtalk on irc.libera.chat and we'll talk about it!

Will do! Thanks for your invitation! :)

Guys, how about the Simple IRC Client (sic) from suckless.org?

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@JosephF said:

IRC is fast and uses very little resources to run.

Discord is the 'new' IRC, makes everything flashy and fancy but does all the same things IRC does.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited March 5

it was fun in 2000 when i have 100 emechs, eggdrops. psybnc on hacked servers, also clones with proxys

just anoying channels with mirc xploits xD people going disconnected with a ctcp command xD

i was glined from undernet for many months,

@Not_Oles said:
    Guys, how about the Simple IRC Client (sic) from suckless.org?

"The suckless client sic provides a good tiny irc client but it is a bit too hardcore to use it on a daily basis. First, sic input is driven by a standard fgets and hence, no line editing goodies are supported except the ones provided by the tty kernel driver (^U ^H and friends). Second, sic will mess up the output if a message appears while typing a line. Third, sic does not multiplex channels (but it is a feature!). Finally, I wanted my client to provide infinite scrollback."

-- https://c9x.me/irc/

chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ ls
    irc.c  Makefile  README
    chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ make
    cc -std=c99 -Os -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=201112 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_CURSES -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE    irc.c  -lncursesw -lssl -lcrypto -o irc
    chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ ls
    irc  irc.c  Makefile  README
    chronos@penguin:~/src/irc$ 

Now all I have to do is read about libera.chat and actually try it. :) But, it's getting late here. 😴 So maybe tomorrow. :)

@JerryHou said:

Thanks, Jerry!

The Hexchat Github repo says, "This repository has been archived by the owner on Feb 10, 2024. It is now read-only."

Also, have you seen https://hexchat.github.io/news/2.16.2.html ?

Hexchat is / was a nice, open source, cross platform GTK graphical IRC client. Maybe someone will pick up and continue the Hexchat project?

Thanked by 1licher70
  • JerryHouJerryHou Member

@JosephF said:

@JerryHou said:

How does it compare to mIRC?

It's open source and free...but now looks like ceased to exist...

@Not_Oles said:

@JerryHou said:

Thanks, Jerry!

The Hexchat Github repo says, "This repository has been archived by the owner on Feb 10, 2024. It is now read-only."

Also, have you seen https://hexchat.github.io/news/2.16.2.html ?

Hexchat is / was a nice, open source, cross platform GTK graphical IRC client. Maybe someone will pick up and continue the Hexchat project?

I wasn't aware of that... last time I used Hexchat was like in 2022 for some private tracker...

Maybe try IceChat? https://www.icechat.net/site/downloads/

• ailiceailice Member

thelounge is awesome IRC cient web-based if you didnt want distinct your team/friends, regarding bouncer soju one most which easier got from your package manager (it available on debian/alpine).
    server is should be ngircd, cause it was complete and nearly 0 issues for couple years i using.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@JosephF said:

@dedicados said:

@JosephF said:

What about the other IRC networks I mentioned?

I'm still on them.

[efnet] :: 9871 39777 Current global users 9871, max 39777
    [liberachat] :: 35185 36895 Current global users 35185, max 36895
    [ircnet] :: 18278 18985 Current global users 18278, max 18985
    [freenode] :: Current global users: 6309  Max: 7850

edited March 5

@Not_Oles said: I want to set up my own IRC server, and an IRC bouncer, and an IRC client. 🤠

No need for server, no need for bouncer.

screen/tmux + irssi 👌

Like @JoeMerit mentioned, we have #lowendtalk on LiberaChat if you want to come chill, or idle.

[09:44] :: Irssi: #lowendtalk: Total of 46 nicks

Thanked by 2Not_Oles chitree
  • Carlin0Carlin0 Member

I prefer weechat to irssi

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 5

@dedicados said:
    it was fun in 2000 when i have 100 emechs, eggdrops. psybnc on hacked servers, also clones with proxys

just anoying channels with mirc xploits xD people going disconnected with a ctcp command xD

i was glined from undernet for many months,

Sadly, things did not change until now. It seems Undernet still remains the IRC of bots even nowadays. :smiley:

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • edited March 5

The thing about IRC is that it didn't evolve in like 20 years. Sure, it's nice and all but it also has some design problems (like account and channel management merely being an afterthought for example) and It's not really extensible (CTCP should have provided that but without any help from the server there's only so much that can be done these days given almost everything is NATed and client extensibility mostly leaves a lot to be desired too), which leads to it being stale and really having no future.

Given it's massive popularity 20 years back it will totally drag along for a couple more decades but it will also hardly see any new people. As much as i don't like Discord, IRC's inability to evolve is pretty much what has allowed it to centralize real time communication and i can't bring myself to get back on IRC. It just feels like a place that time has forgotten full of people that have forgotten time... No offense meant to anyone still on it - you are obviously more oldschool than i can bring myself to be.

Edit: IRC by the example of EFNet:

Thanked by 1maverick

@totally_not_banned said: Given it's massive popularity 20 years back it will totally drag along for a couple more decades but it will also hardly see any new people.

True.

Yeah, things definitely isn't like how it was 2 decades ago :smiley:

We've lost a lot of users, and servers too.