Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Humans Only, Please! - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Humans Only, Please!

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Maybe the addon to rules is so big and complex that it requires multiple human and AI collaboration hours to compile ultimate result.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • tentortentor Member, Host Rep

'R' in Rules is for Rust - this is why it takes so long to compile

Thanked by 1emgh
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@spywork said:
    write the whole Bible was faster and simpler :D

So is that/this an example of "Do it right or do it again." The bible has been written and rewritten many times, translated and re-translated because it wasn't translated correctly?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I one is not a robot but a living being but occasionally identifies oneself as a robot would that be O.K.? * asking for my cat

Re the topic: AFAIK most admins and mods are doing what they do here for free, so it's not as simple as "bring all of them into the meeting room and then have the secretary type what has been decided".

Also: I see it as a major positive that @jbiloh doesn't simply dictate his will but has the whole team discuss the issue. And that takes time, so what?

Thanked by 1kevinds
  • tentortentor Member, Host Rep

@jsg said: And that takes time, so what?

This is not a concern most here are afraid of:

@ahnlak said: Unpinning is definitely an ... interesting choice for a "still being watered down worked out" topic.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited February 19

@jsg said: Re the topic: AFAIK most admins and mods are doing what they do here for free, so it's not as simple as "bring all of them into the meeting room and then have the secretary type what has been decided".

Well, sadly, it's something that most people tend (or choose?) to forget that this is all voluntary "work".

Considering the diverse time zones and individual obligations/commitments, I can't simply force everyone to read a wall of text, have them think about it and provide feedback or even to just respond within a specific deadline.

Also, on the other hand, I don't see an issue with the OP unpinning a discussion he started himself, which was just for him to send out a note/message to the community.

If the community is concerned about this thread being unpinned and that we might "forget" about this, well, I'm telling you we wont, because I have another topic opened and pinned for all mods and admins.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @DP said:

@jsg said: Re the topic: AFAIK most admins and mods are doing what they do here for free, so it's not as simple as "bring all of them into the meeting room and then have the secretary type what has been decided".

Well, sadly, it's something that most people tend (or choose?) to forget that this is all voluntary "work".

Considering the diverse time zones and individual obligations/commitments, I can't simply force everyone to read a wall of text, have them think about it and provide feedback or even to just respond within a specific deadline.

Also, on the other hand, I don't see an issue with the OP unpinning a discussion he started himself, which was just for him to send out a note/message to the community.

If the community is concerned about this thread being unpinned and that we might "forget" about this, well, I'm telling you we wont, because I have another topic opened and pinned for all mods and admins.

I wonder, if I may ask, what happens to the revenue through ads and provider tags? Of course a part goes to Digitalocean, but I'd suppose there's still quite a margin.

• LeviLevi Member

@jsg said: AFAIK most admins and mods are doing what they do here for free

They are not obligated by anything to do that job for free, or to do anything at all. They made a willing choice as free people. They are not bound or forced.

So "they are doing this for free" does not cut the cookie. If they feel discomfort -> log out.

Seems rotation of admins/mods are very rare (if any at all), since JB took the helm.

• malignifymalignify Member
    edited February 19

@Levi said: They are not obligated by anything to do that job for free, or to do anything at all. They made a willing choice as free people. They are not bound or forced.

Great. Now this could take even longer.

@Levi said: So "they are doing this for free" does not cut the cookie. If they feel discomfort -> log out.

Great. Now we might never see any changes because I don't feel any mods will ever feel the pleasure of comfort when logging and moderating on LET :D

• @DP said:

Well that's precisely the concern - we (obviously) don't see admin threads, so when the topic is unpinned and allowed to drift off the front page, as we can see is the topic disappearing without resolution.

If it's still under active debate, fair enough. Take as much time as you need; like you say, getting a random array of volunteers to agree something will take time. I just don't see what trying to let it sink in the meantime achieves, other than causing cynical folk to wonder if y'all are just trying to quietly forget it.

The fact is, this thread really only picked up again once it got unpinned. Why not pin it until it's resolved?

Thanked by 1tentor
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@ahnlak said: I just don't see what trying to let it sink in the meantime achieves, other than causing cynical folk to wonder if y'all are just trying to quietly forget it.

I'm not going to answer on behalf of the OP, but if I had to guess, he probably unpinned it because of the spamming from you-know-who.

Anyways, a few pages back, he did mention that once this is finalized, it will be updated in either the rules page, or in a new thread.

@ahnlak said: The fact is, this thread really only picked up again once it got unpinned. Why not pin it until it's resolved?

I'm sorry but I'll let @jbiloh answer that as he's the one who created this thread, he was the one who pinned it and he was probably the one who also unpinned it.

• @DP said: he probably unpinned it because of the spamming from you-know-who.

To be fair, I shitposted more after the unpinning than before.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 19

@DP said:

I'm not at all concerned about it, quite the contrary, I do understand it and find it OK. (see below)

@Levi said:

@jsg said: AFAIK most admins and mods are doing what they do here for free

They are not obligated by anything to do that job for free, or to do anything at all. They made a willing choice as free people. They are not bound or forced.

So "they are doing this for free" does not cut the cookie. If they feel discomfort -> log out.

Seems rotation of admins/mods are very rare (if any at all), since JB took the helm.

Thanks for effectively underlining my point. Asking people who work for free to think about some dictum and to then constructively comment - and pronto, please! - just does not work.

Also, 'quickly' and 'well' often don't go together well. I see it as a sign of quality that @jbiloh, the admins, and mods take the time needed to find a good solution.

@tentor quoted @ahnlak saying:
    Unpinning is definitely an ... interesting choice for a "still being watered down worked out" topic.

Well, everyone is free to have their own view and interpretation. Mine is that jbiloh pinned it at first to make sure that everyone, in particular the admins and mods, notice that there is an issue to be thought about and to comment on, make suggestions, etc. Once everyone concerned had seen and noticed it and the internal process was in progress pinning wasn't needed anymore and (I guess) there was and is an internal thread in the admin/mod forum where comments and suggestions came in and were/are discussed, so why using up valuable space on the front page any longer ...

P.S. @DP

I have a suggestion: how about creating (if possible in Vanilla) two "pseudo accounts" like '@admins' and '@mods' that tags all the admins, resp, all the mods?

• The trouble is that saying "we're totally going to finish writing this new rule soon, honest" and then silently unpinning the topic can appear, to grumpy cynics, to be an attempt to make an awkward subject go away.

Cue lots of idiotic shitposting to keep the unpinned topic on the front page, which was painfully predictable.

At the end of the day it's jbiloh's ball and he can play it however he wants. Just the switch from "this is such a big issue it needs a big shouty pin" to "umm, yeah, we're definitely still thinking about it" felt jarring.

But hey, I wouldn't wish running (or moderating) a community on my worst enemy, so I'll quit the bump game and wait quietly to see if anything changes.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • LeviLevi Member

A bump to remind about unfinished business on “uncomfortable subject”.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 26

@ahnlak said: Cue lots of idiotic shitposting to keep the unpinned topic on the front page, which was painfully predictable.

POINTLESS BUMP

Francisco

• VoidVoid Member

Smokey gets banned like in microseconds these days

Thanked by 1tentor
  • LeviLevi Member

Let’s double the exposure.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@ahnlak said: Cue lots of idiotic shitposting to keep the unpinned topic on the front page, which was painfully predictable.

POINTLESS BUMP

Francisco

Your waiting time has doubled for the order #POINTLESS BUMP.

Thank you for using our services, you can also order the addon "Patron Provider" for 99.9% Drama, FREE Remote Bumps* and FREE thread pinning*.

• ᵗᵉʳᵐˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᶦᵗᶦᵒⁿˢ ᵈᵒ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵃᵖᵖˡʸ

Soundar

Thanked by 2bikegremlin emgh
  • smokah the mental issue boi

• emghemgh Member

Bump

• LeviLevi Member

Welcome to spring!

• LeviLevi Member

Ou, reached a third page already. Silently :) . But let’s bump it. Keep everything tight and nice.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@Levi said: Ou, reached a third page already. Silently :) . But let’s bump it. Keep everything tight and nice.

Or lock?

Thanked by 1rahulbose98
  • @kevinds said:

@Levi said: Ou, reached a third page already. Silently :) . But let’s bump it. Keep everything tight and nice.

Or lock?

Great! Lock it up on top to keep reminding spammers and bots of their activities.

• LeviLevi Member

This is still very important topic. Bumperino.

• shruubshruub Member

I'm sure the rule is in it's near-to final form.

• MrEdMrEd Member

@shruub said:

It just needs the finalization of finalization :)

Thanked by 1shruub
  • LeviLevi Member

@MrEd said:

@shruub said:

It just needs the finalization of finalization :)

Like half or even a whole year of finale…

• LeviLevi Member

Damn this topic is slippery. Slides out from first page very quickly...