Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HAZI.ro | Performance drops expected tomorrow for VPSs in Romania - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HAZI.ro | Performance drops expected tomorrow for VPSs in Romania

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

@FlorinMarian said:

@RapToN said:
    @FlorinMarian As a provider, it is your responsibility to ensure that the services offered actually work. Of course, this also includes a functioning network connection and, in my opinion, the price of your services is of no interest.

If it is necessary to zero-route the IPs of individual customers due to attacks, that is perfectly fine, but as a hoster, it is not acceptable for all customers to go down due to a DDoS (Of course that can happen... Bad things happen. But then you should really do EVERYTHING to get it under control as quickly as possible. Regardless of the costs involved).

Just my personal opinion!

I'm sorry, but your message clearly shows what others don't want to understand either.
    You have a DDoS attack with IP spoofing on multiple protocols and the attacks target all subnets and IPs that you announce from a certain location. Who do you give nullroute to?

You said single IP was attacked... Either way, you shut down your network to save resources. That's the mitigation if you don't have any other counters.

There was multiple suggestions for you to pull the plug. And that was serious counter against ongoing attack. Your network was fcked up, so why waste electricity andngive skids morale pleasure to drain your resources?

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Levi said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@RapToN said:
    @FlorinMarian As a provider, it is your responsibility to ensure that the services offered actually work. Of course, this also includes a functioning network connection and, in my opinion, the price of your services is of no interest.

If it is necessary to zero-route the IPs of individual customers due to attacks, that is perfectly fine, but as a hoster, it is not acceptable for all customers to go down due to a DDoS (Of course that can happen... Bad things happen. But then you should really do EVERYTHING to get it under control as quickly as possible. Regardless of the costs involved).

I'm sorry, but your message clearly shows what others don't want to understand either.
    You have a DDoS attack with IP spoofing on multiple protocols and the attacks target all subnets and IPs that you announce from a certain location. Who do you give nullroute to?

You said single IP was attacked... Either way, you shut down your network to save resources. That's the mitigation if you don't have any other counters.

I think you read between the lines, not from the beginning to the end. I was attacked on a single IP and had massive downtime when I was protected by Voxility, with the servers located in the datacenter. The "luck" then was that only our site had been attacked, not the entire subnet.

There was multiple suggestions for you to pull the plug. And that was serious counter against ongoing attack. Your network was fcked up, so why waste electricity andngive skids morale pleasure to drain your resources?

During the works, there were several reboots at the switch level. Saving 40 KWh is not worth it at the moment, I didn't end up that bad

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

Isn't it TOO MUCH for a bunch of dedis?

@tentor said:

370W on avg has only storage server.
    1U with 16 disks (12 rotational) comes with some cost.
    Daily consumption is 39-45Kwh

@FlorinMarian said:

@tentor said:

370W on avg has only storage server.
    1U with 16 disks (12 rotational) comes with some cost.
    Daily consumption is 39-45Kwh

370W is pretty fair consumption, but I find it very strange that total consumption is 40kWh

How do you calculate that?

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

45k / (2x1000 dual psu) - ~20 servers? My math could be wonk and obviously he has switches etc too?

@risharde said:
    45k / (2x1000 dual psu) - ~20 servers? My math could be wonk and obviously he has switches etc too?

I think he has way less equipment, may be wrong though

@tentor said:

@risharde said:

I think he has way less equipment, may be wrong though

Ahh gotcha, I didn't think it was so unreasonable considering he's been here selling for a while now

Good to see your main site is back up @FlorinMarian . I guess OVH DDoS is handling it!

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • emghemgh Member
    edited January 6

@risharde said:
    Good to see your main site is back up @FlorinMarian . I guess OVH DDoS is handling it!

Down for me, tested through my ISP connection and using Cloudflare Warp

Crazy if they took down his OVH server as well

Very mad

No idea why he would use his own nameservers and not just cloudflare, given the ongoing issues..

Also, I see it dosen't at all seem to be OVH?

https://dnschecker.org/#A/hazi.ro

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@risharde said:

From AS701: https://hazi.ro main site is accessible on IPv4 but inaccessible on IPv6.

debian@bbb:~$ host hazi.ro
    hazi.ro has address 188.241.241.3
    hazi.ro has IPv6 address 2a0e:8f02:f04f::3
    hazi.ro mail is handled by 0 ns1.hazi.ro.

debian@bbb:~$ curl -4 -I --connect-timeout 5 https://hazi.ro
    HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
    Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 22:53:58 GMT
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 150
    Connection: keep-alive
    X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
    X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block

debian@bbb:~$ curl -6 -I --connect-timeout 5 https://hazi.ro
    curl: (28) Connection timed out after 5001 milliseconds

• op23op23 Member

@FlorinMarian said:

@tentor said:
    Why do you use LET and not sending email to the directly impacted customers?

Many accounts use temporary emails.

Even so, I hope you do send emails or will in future.
    As a customer I would appreciate if my hosting provider lets me know about a network issue and doesn’t bank on me living on LET forums to get that info. Not professional at all.

@MannDude said:
    @FlorinMarian do you no longer live where the servers are? What prompted the move?

Nothing related to my business.
    Some friends bought an apartment in the city where my girlfriend is studying and it was a perfect opportunity to rent a good-looking apartment at a good price to move in with my girlfriend.

I think many folks were okay with the idea of a home DC because you lived feet away from the servers.

Since yesterday, my presence is no longer needed anyway. All network connections are LACP and in the unfortunate event that the switch itself has problems, through Team Viewer I can access an old laptop left in the rack, open 24/7 and with a physical connection to the switch console.

Anyhow, good luck.

Thank you!

I still think you and @Calin should just rent a garage or something and combine forces. I get you two mixed up enough as is.

Calin and I have different end clients, I do not promote and tolerate "freedom of expression" the way he does.
    TOR has nothing to look for in our network, regardless of the type of node - for example.

• KrisKris Member
    edited January 7

@FlorinMarian said: Since yesterday, my presence is no longer needed anyway. All network connections are LACP and in the unfortunate event that the switch itself has problems, through Team Viewer I can access an old laptop left in the rack, open 24/7 and with a physical connection to the switch console.

We saw how awesome that went. Hopefully the laptop has a 4G connection and not your slapdash setup.

Calin honestly I have more hope in. You've thrown in the towel when others and myself have tried suggesting free methods (fastnetmon, RTBH, BGP communities) which you seem to keep ignoring by asking 'who to nullroute' on the last page. You're still listening to no one.

Next time a skid stops by do you just fall over again, or are you making any effort at all?

Fastnetmon takes care of that for you and submits the RTBH for you. Pay someone with some network experience to set it up for your clients sake.

Thanked by 1adly
  • VoidVoid Member

“Always available smart hands within 10 minutes and for free” could’ve been a good sales pitch but apparently bro selected gf over clients.

• dick move to abandon shithole DC and left paid customers with whole day reaction delay and no notifications

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 7

@FlorinMarian said: move in with my girlfriend

hANALo?

@FlorinMarian said: Calin and I have different end clients, I do not promote and tolerate "freedom of expression" the way he does.

TOR has nothing to look for in our network, regardless of the type of node - for example.

>

What problems have you with free speech?And don't worry about TOR nodes , nothing illegal happened , never police search me or other similar things , and we have very very low abuses

Regards,
    Calin

• SululuSululu Member

@FlorinMarian said: Since yesterday, my presence is no longer needed anyway. All network connections are LACP and in the unfortunate event that the switch itself has problems, through Team Viewer I can access an old laptop left in the rack, open 24/7 and with a physical connection to the switch console.

Damn bro ....you just threw ALL your advantages out of the window ....and to think after this you will still have hundreds of customers

You gotta love LET

@Calin said: don't worry about TOR nodes , nothing illegal happened , never police search me or other similar things , and we have very very low abuses

Hosting exit nodes may be dangerous and it can't be very low on abuse complaints

Thanked by 1Calin
    edited January 7

@Kris said:

We saw how awesome that went. Hopefully the laptop has a 4G connection and not your slapdash setup.

The laptop is connected via Wi-Fi to another residential Orange line.

Calin honestly I have more hope in. You've thrown in the towel when others and myself have tried suggesting free methods (fastnetmon, RTBH, BGP communities) which you seem to keep ignoring by asking 'who to nullroute' on the last page. You're still listening to no one.

I appreciate the help but not your lack of understanding regarding the fact that:

• I cannot effectively implement solutions that I know nothing about (fastnetmon, RTBH)
    • I was not offered any community through which to determine which IPs I want to be dropped at the ISP level
    • > Next time a skid stops by do you just fall over again, or are you making any effort at all?
      >
      Of course I do, I always have. The fact that only now I fell to my knees after 3 years, clearly shows that until now we had solutions that worked for the respective types of attack. We are not naive to think that you can have multiple subnets through which you sell VPSs but have 0 attacks for several years.

Fastnetmon takes care of that for you and submits the RTBH for you. Pay someone with some network experience to set it up for your clients sake.

I don't know anyone reliable to help me with this and I don't give access to the equipment either.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited January 7

@FlorinMarian said: The laptop is connected via Wi-Fi to another residential Orange line.

what if laptop dies? what if wifi in laptop dies? the "setup" getting better and better :D

Thanked by 1adly

@xrz said:

@FlorinMarian said: The laptop is connected via Wi-Fi to another residential Orange line.

what if laptop dies? what if wifi in laptop dies? the "setup" getting better and better :D

I go home weekly. It is almost impossible for the laptop and the switch to die at the same time.
    If the switch does not die and at least one server is active, I enter via VPN directly on the switch.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • emghemgh Member

@FlorinMarian we saw yesterday though how it became an issue, no?

Thanked by 1adly
  • VoidVoid Member

What if the guard dogs betray your servers for a nice piece of steak ?

Thanked by 2Calin inthecloudblog

@emgh said:
    @FlorinMarian we saw yesterday though how it became an issue, no?

Yesterday I did something else, something that I haven't succeeded yet, but I will try again when the need arises.

At this moment, I filter all the traffic on each server separately, before the traffic reaches the VMs. What I did yesterday was to add two 10Gbps connections in addition to the 1Gbps ones to one of the nodes and the idea was to move the gateway on the switch to make sure that on a single server I filter absolutely everything that enters and leaves my network.

Basically, I was at home yesterday only for those two 10Gbps connections that my parents would have been unable to make in my place.

For minor emergencies, they can still help me, as they still live there.

• @jmaxwell said:

now, when "guard" dogs eat on weekly basis they are useless/lifeless since each Wednesday anyway

• SululuSululu Member

@FlorinMarian said: For minor emergencies, they can still help me, as they still live there.

Now you pull your parents into this mess

:D :D

• VoidVoid Member

@Andrews said:

@jmaxwell said:

now, when "guard" dogs eat on weekly basis they are useless/lifeless since each Wednesday anyway

This also poses a risk of them deciding to eat the owner one fateful day. @yoursunny consider adding this to the involucration risk calculator.

• LeviLevi Member

@FlorinMarian said: For minor emergencies, they can still help me, as they still live there.

You can live wherever you want. For fck sake, the man is free!

I have a question: what did you do to avoid DDoS incidents in the future? At least to safeguard your billing and mail sending functions.

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

@FlorinMarian said:

@RapToN said:

That wasn't the point at all. But instead of always saying why something is not possible, you should work on a solution and accept suggestions from others.

Here is an example of one of the statements I am criticizing. Your customers don't have to care what it costs you to keep your services available and I'm sure many providers have accepted one or two high losses in order to guarantee stability for there services.

@FlorinMarian said:
    Also, after solving the situation, it's cheaper to lose all my clients who don't understand that this type of situation cannot be prevented with the budgets that both they and we have, than to charge my monthly bill with another 700$.